Cant believe this is how Skoda Designed it!

Hi All,

Had my 59 Vrs in the dealership last 2 days whilst they look into an annoying "fault" that my Octavia has. When sat in my driving postion the left side of my steering wheel is further away from me than the right. I confirmed this by measuring and there is almost an inch difference!! When you look down at the steering coloumn you can see it is offset to the left as you can fit your finger down the right hand side of the column but the left is almost touching. The speedo is also partially obscured but the rev counter is fully visible. The dealership workshop manager took at look at it and said " that doesn't look right" but after they've been looking into it all the Octavia's they have in stock and the workshop all have this effect, (even the Managers 12 plate rallye green Vrs with every single option on it) :love: The hump on the top of the steering is excactly the same size and shape as the cut out at the bottom of the steering coloumn and this just exagerates how far out they look.

I was wondering if other owners could look to see what theirs is like as I really cant believe this is how Skoda designed the Octavia as they have done wonders with the interior quality! The Fabia I had as a courtesy car, although it had been crashed the steering column was bang in the middle.

IMG 0694

IMG 0693

I'm also going to email Skoda Uk to find out if this is how they were planning the Octavia should be rolling out the factory, and if so why. If not, whats wrong with my car!

Had a look at your pics, and it looks wrong to me.

Just went out and checked my car (same age as yours) and it has an even gap either side of the steering column (4-5mm each side at a guess).

My 08 plate is fairly central with a slight bias to the left - I'm an Engineer so work in mm's. Nothing like your offset.

Edited by DtM2000

Mines a 58 plate pre facelift & my steering column is nothing like yours,mine is bang on central.

Mine too - 58 plate 1.8 TSi from new - very even space all round.

Edited by ednmra

Have you had it from new?

Could it be accident damage!?

No not had it from new. Had it from 2 years 22k miles. Asked dealer if it had ever been in an accident and they said no. I don't understand how the new ones in the showroom were like it.

Sent email to Skoda and got a reply saying they will have an answer in 48 hours.

It's interesting to see some people's are bang on and some offset.

I've got a 57plate vrs, and mine has a slight offset to the left as well...dam !

Going to ring skoda up to see if they can move the drivers seat slightly to the the left...

Just a thought, have you used the Height adjuster?

Might not be sitting on it's notch properly.

Also does it make a difference if it's pulled out and pushed in?

I will have to go and check mine (2011) I took it out of the garage today for first time in a week to pop to shops :( I bet it rains now too. Richie just noticed in your infor under avatar says Nova GSi RESPECT! do you have any pics of it?????

• Like 1

I will have to go and check mine (2011) I took it out of the garage today for first time in a week to pop to shops :( I bet it rains now too. Richie just noticed in your infor under avatar says Nova GSi RESPECT! do you have any pics of it?????

If you had a Nova, surely you are used to an offset wheel!!! - they were the worst car for this in history, not only offset but angled so when you actually steer the wheel it pulls towards and away from you in its rotation.

But back on topic mine sits a little to the left but I still have full view of all instruments and the wheel doesn't feel offset etc.

Rob

Edited by vrs777

I would be very surprised if and accident would have caused the steering column to move and you not be able to clearly see that the car had been repaired in other areas as would have been a heavy accident (can see how strong the mounting bracket is below)! The column might have been changed due to an issue and not aligned properly or a supporting bolt come loose, but my guess would be that the adjuster on the column is faulty and you have to much play which allows the column to sit at an angle.

ba9736ec.jpg

Just checked and there is a very very little difference in gap. Nothing I'd notice without reading this, could be the quality of plastic, there is slight movement in the cowling

If you had a Nova, surely you are used to an offset wheel!!!

Never had one but always loved them.

Surely, if you consider the arrangement and fitting of the steering gear all the way from the rack up to the steering wheel, and the location of the rack on the chassis, and all the various joints and connections of the body and the bits inside the car, small variations could easily crop up without there being anything wrong? Especially when so much is slung together on fast production lines.

And remember Skoda didn't design the arrangement either, it's all VW - so you may wish to contact them if you have issues with Design. The production process will be fairly set, ie. the bolts will go into holes where they are pre-placed, no real adjustments so you can't really fault the production.

As mentioned I would be tempted to have a play about with the steering wheel position and see if it gives you any change in the gaps. It may be the case that the dash is designed slightly offset (i'm taliking mm's) for right hand drive cars rather than the steering column/wheel. ie. when you pull the wheel out towards you does the gap on either side enlarge or get smaller and the same for the vertical adjustment, does this produce different gaps?

Edited by vrs777

I reckon this is more of a dash fit issue rather than the actual alignment of the wheel itself. The dash is a huge part and if fitted slightly different by even 0.5mm at the mounting points I reckon it would be enough to cause a gap like that to appear further away from the mounting points.

The only way i can explain a similar thing is if anyone has ever built a wardrobe and then put it on a slightly uneven floor, even if the floor is only just out it makes the doors hang all wrong and the shut lines become a nightmare to line up (impossible) and thus you have to resort to packing the feet out to level the floor and creating perfect alignment.