The Mr Muscle VNT Turbo Treatment - thought we needed a guide of sorts

Lofty79

Update...

Limp mode is back so didnt work for me

diagnostics says ..under boosting..

maybe a leak so going to investigate next week......gutted

I would think vacuum leak, or the vanes are sticking in the high rpm, low boost position, which is rarer than normal.

Created an account here purely for this thread, and to say a big thanks to Lofty79! Have been having Limp Home problems over 3k RPM for months now. It's been a right pain in the arse! However, a socket set, a no. 6 allan key, some aquarium tubing, a can of Mr. Muscle, and a little more nerve than I'm used to and I have a perfectly working turbo again!

So cheers Lofty79! You're an absolute star! :rock:

• Like 2

UPDATE.......

had a boost leak check .. nothing

decided to take the turbo off and strip it down

i could see an area cleaned by the mr muscle but there was so much more that the cleaner hadnt reached (I PROBABLY DIDNT DO IT RIGHT)

so its had a good scrub inside and out after stripping it down

cleaned all the vains etc...seems free as a bird now...refitting today 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Help please :wall:

post-3566-0-40380900-1393673297_thumb.jpg

wheres my actuator????

got the shiney pipe off from bothe ends EGR end? and manifold end.

Lots of rubbish in there what do I do next spray the oven cleaner, put back together and go for a drive? Do I need to let it soak before hand? And do I have an actuator that in need to push down until its a smooth action with a little resistance?

Thanks in advance

Great guide, looks to be exactly what I need so I started to have a go at it today with not much joy, just can't get in to remove the egr pipe because of the cooler. 

Off to try and find someone with ramps who can give me a hand gaining access so that I can to do this from below.

Jesus christ just done my 150 arl!

What a nightmare! Would of been simples on my old fabia but i have an egr cooler!

Nightmare in a bubble car!

Just waiting now and pumping :o

Didnt know my old Heinkel had a turbo? LOL

Just done the treatment (!) on my wifes 51 plate Octavia.  The lever was as good as seized but got it moving and now all back together.........just back from a shake-down!      Going like a train........now for that evry mod!

:happy:

Almost forgot......CHEERS LOFTY !!

Edited by JohnMack

Anyone in the North-east (nr Middlesbrough) that could give me a hand doing this?

Would pay generously :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to do this this weekend weather permitting, and do the thermostat on my Edition 100; once I've had a go at it I'll let you know, but I'd be willing to help out (Spennymoor area).

Hi guys. Just been diagnosed with sticky vanes on a 1.9 Passat and I want to do MM on it asap.It has a huge EGR cooler in the way and it seems almost imposible to do it from the top. Can anyone tell me if it is easier from under the car? I've just bought a set of drive on ramps just for that. Will give it a go this weekend.

wow not been on for yonks and can see my thread has still been of use.

everyone that thanked me your welcome

to others still having bother

bodie: the vac pipe seen in photo goes to the actuator, its effectively upside down from mine, so where vac pipe goes in, arm to pump is on opposite side

mike221: under the cooler is a wee tiny pipe held on with allen bolts and nuts to the manifold, this is removable but gotta do it blind. if you get under it and can remove exhaust clamp you can go direct to turbo taking downpipe off 

Got under it yesterday and just manged to move the actuator a bit. Didn't do the mr muscle as it took a while to get some screws off from the shield and it was getting dark. Seemed to have just 1/2 travell at first. Gave it a bit of a jiggle and now seems to have full travel but still stiff. Will try again though. Took it on a hard motorway run and had no problems all the way through the red line on 2nd to 4th. Yeah, thank you very much lofty. The thread has been a life saver as two garages already recommended to change the turbo (£1050) the cheapest. Will post some pics for those who have a egr cooler and want to do it from underneath. Thanks again.

Hi All

I have an 51plate estate 110 TDi 180K and still going strong, but it started to have no power, until the ignition is turned off then on again and power is returned, So I took the EGR Off to find it caked in black sludge, so scraped and cleaned all the crudd out, So my question is where the EGR is bolted on to the bit that seems to come off the back of the engine is all so thick with this sludge, can MR Muscle be put in here ?  Also with the EGR off there is a pipe that goes down and has ridges in it, is this where MR Muscle goes using the flexi pipe, as you can see I use all the technical terms ( NOT ), IF Mr Muscle is not to be used in the top thing that the EGR is bolted to does it have to come off to be cleaned or will scrapping it out help and hope any loose bits just get pushed through ?

I think I may need to post some pictures, :-p

I'm no mechanic but as my name suggests I'll AVAGO

Thats the inlet manifold, it needs to be removed and soaked in diesel

the egr the same, dont put mr m in these

the smaller pipe with the ridges needs to be removed completely and the mr muscle put directly to turbo from manifold.

all this info and many pics are in the thread buddy, there are no new questions here. familiarise yourself by reading it all

it will sort your issue

• Like 1

doing mine today. Also changing inlet manifold and cleaning and blanking off EGR.

ALH, 283k miles. Started doing limp mode under power after filling up last week. I do boot it up a hill once a day though!!!!

Has anyone tried this on a 2.0 cr vrs?

Had the glow plug, limp mode thing, then over boost fault code.

Was fine after restart and hasn't done it again and have been advised to try forte but this may clean it better / quicker?

Finally got round to giving this another go from above today, it's tight and a bit tricky working blind with the cooler in the way but I got round this by popping an old webcam down behind the engine and viewing on a laptop. Anyway, after much huffing and puffing I got it done, unfortunately it hasn't made a difference for me.

Well worth a go though, I'd have been over the moon if it had solved my problem for under a tenner.