The Mr Muscle VNT Turbo Treatment - thought we needed a guide of sorts

Lofty79

No it's the part I pump to loosen in the guide. It's a little stiff and seemed to stiffen after my last pump session. So I wanted to know if I can clean/lube it

So much potential innuendo............

I'm not sure to be honest, it could be the mechanism in the actuator that is the problem. Don't know whether a spot of oil on the arm would help or not.

I've done th Mr. Muscle treatment to my wifes Seat Leon 1M1 with ASV engine. No limp mode anymore. Tried it in 4th gear up to 170km/h and no engine light anymore. And engine is responsive as never before. :D My wife's happy and i'm happy that's she's happy :D

Thanks Lofty

I'd buy you a :beer: but you're out of reach....

I just signed up to say a big thanks to Lofty for this.

Has worked a treat. She made some ungodly noises at first (probably something to do with the turbo being surrounded by foam :giggle: ) but after warming her up and giving her a boot full for half an hour, she's now back to her normal noise. Oddly, nothing appeared to come out of the back, smoke or crap wise, but she feels so lively now so I'm not overly bothered (and no more limp mode)!

im having to run with the turbo arm uncoupled and set 1/3rd of the way into its travel, smooth as silk, damn thing

from VNT - NO VNT - Fixed vane turbo now

ive got Mr Muscle, Wynnes turbo cleaner and brake cleaner on stanby....

Edited by lichfielddriver

Another happy customer! Thanks very much for sharing this solution. I followed the instructions to the letter. My 1.9TDI turbo was rigid originally. After the first application it moved stiffly. A week later I repeated the procedure and it became 'springy', moving freely with the diagphram as it should - and it now drives like a dream! I would recommend giving this a go if anyone is in doubt- It's a straightforward and quick procedure to carry out and it works very effectively!

Have tried this today as was having some trouble.

All went well,whilst i had the chance i cleaned out the EGR and manifold as well. Good movement on the actuator after initial stubborness.

However when starting. Engine stalled then ran lumpy for 5 - 10 secs.

Ran for 15 mins and the 5 min test drive in 2nd....

Now its very smokey, initially thought it was the mr muscle burning off.

But it now smells more oily.

When the turbo spools now there is noise when spooling down, like a whining/scraping.

Not a whistling

Left for today after the rain came.

Engine sounds great after a clean of the EGR and manifold.

Nothing has fallen in engine.

Still plenty of boost from turbo, just worried about pushing it too much with the noises.

I have developed a slight hesitation sometimes when lightly accelerating in 1st or 2nd. Worth doing this treatment?

Seems unlikely to be the vanes sticking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my tubing + elbow in the post this morning, now just to get the can of Mr Muscle and it's off for a game of "Myth Busters"

Tapatalk'd from my HTC SXE

Hi there. Just registered after having found this fantastic post and having done the treatment to my 2008 VW Touran 105 hp 1.9 TDi. Last year I first experienced the limp mode while towing a light load for some distance. It occured while accelerating a not so steep hill, and disappeared after, uhm, rebooting the car. Then everything has been find until I helped my girlfriend move her stuff to my place. It was a huge trailer with lots of stuff, but the limp mode only happened 5 km from the destination (the trip was 330km one way), after we descended from a mountain pass, while accelerating on the highway. Again, restarted, and the problem was gone. However, this time it would not be another year before it happened again. The next day came, and I was driving up a hill and accelerating. Bam, "engine fault" and limp mode. Restarted, everything fine. I went to the garage to have them read the error codes, and I got the turbo overboost condition. That's when I found this site, and concluded I should give it a go. Bought myself a bottle of mr muscle and approximately 1 meter of 3mm rubber tubing.

So yesterday I started from the top of the engine, teared off the intake etc, just to find that it was impossible to reach any egr tubing or exhaust manifold from there. On this engine the turbo is mounted on the top of the exhaust manifold, with the egr tubing going beneath it. So I took the car to a workshop where I could raise the vehicle to gain access from below. It was not easy to get the proper EGR tube off, but I made it work. The bottom bolts (to the EGR) was 8mm 12 spline, while the top nuts  (for the exhaust manifold) were ordinary 12mm. No bolts were stuck. The tube was easily directed towards the turbo (upwards and slightly to the left), and I mounted a small piece of cardboard to the opening before spraying Mr Muscle up there. I stopped when the foam started pouring slightly out of the opening and let it do its magic for about two hours. 

The actuator mechanism for my turbo was not mounted on the outside of the turbo relative to the engine as described by the OP, but between the turbo and the engine head. So I had to operate it from the top of the engine. It seemed to move freely when I was done, though.

A picture of how the EGR pipe looked from underneath my car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5v1yqii0leponc/2013-07-01%2017.12.36.jpg

I can't really say for sure if the treatment worked yet, but my few test runs suggests the engine is running healthily, and it pulls well. I'm grateful to Lofty79 for this potential solution to an otherwise expensive problem.

I did my car yesterday too, I have to admitt i removed all the egr pipe so i could feed the pipe into the turbo much easier, I activated the turbo activator with a prybar, On my car the activator moved ok ish before i started  but after the treatment it moved easily.

I have had problems and fault codes which suggest the turbo playing up so i will have to see how the car goes, I think the car seems about the to drive maybe a bit more revy but that might be my imagination !

my wife thinks i have a fetish for mr muscle, ive got three cans in the shed

ive drilled and tapped my manifold, will do the mr muscle soon, i intend removing my induction pipe so i can rotate the blades and shaft so the exhaust turbine rotates to spread out the foam, and waggle the turbo arm to work the foam into the vanes too

ive been running with the vgt arm uncoupled for 2 weeks and its running fine, if a tad under normal 130PS power

All I can say is don't soak for any longer than necessary or you may end up with a turbo like mine. Not scaremongering, just that the exhaust side on mine was fubared, the intake side like new.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/279967-Turbo-woes?#entry3326347

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do you think Mr Muscle somehow got to the oil seal in the cold part of the turbo? I'm not 100% sure about how these things works (have never opened one up), but I can't really see how Mr Muscle foam could get to that part and do any damage. Looking at the picture of the exhaust side further up the thread, illustrating the tight tolerances of the vanes, where would the Mr Muscle stuff travel to do that kind of damage? 

Could it maybe be that as you after the treatment had a turbo which worked in all revs, an already latent defect got more noticable? 

I know, it has nothing to do with mr muscle!

Other wise house wives countrywide would be up in arms due to theyre oven door seals wearing prematurely.

If there was play in your turbo shaft...........the turbo was gubbed from the outset.

The only reason not to leave it in there toooooo long is itll dry up and even then itll burn off so.................

Hey guys,

I've been having issues with the turbo dropping out at around 2500 RPM in 5th gear whenever it comes under any sort of slight load. I tried this method a couple of weeks ago and it fixed it until now. I decided to give it another flush through to make sure I got it all properly, however I can't seem to remove the two alan bolts. I'm sure they are 6mm as that is the size I used before, however I can only get my 5.5mm to fit into them. This however just is getting no purchase on the bolts. The 6mm I can't get to fit in to the bolt no matter how hard I try. Any idea what might have caused this?

Thanks

Did a 660 km roundtrip with a trailer across a mountain pass last weekend, and did not experience any limp mode, and the car pulled nicely up the hills with a huge load on half the trip, so I think this might have worked. Thanks again.

Guest BigJase88

I couldnt get in from the top on my pd150!

Well without pain

So i took the exhasut downpipe off and cleaned it from there :)

I did mine on my 2004 octavia 130pd, I removed the egr valve, then because of the bends in the pipe to the turbo I fed some 8 ish mm id clear pipe down as far as it would go then I pushed 4 or 6mm pipe through this, It centered the 4 or 6mm and allowed it to pass around more corners getting really close to the turbo, left for 2/3hrs and a high boost blast = much better, but how do you clear the tar stuff from the inlet manifold?

Ta

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tried it today...............started the car and straight away the car felt crisper on the throttle. I was gradually pushing it harder and all was looking well........but ........about 15mins into my drive , the dreaded limp mode struck again with the car under load in 6th gear.

Ah well................new turbo for me !!!!