Saloon or estate

Hello guys and girls,

I am thinking of a Suberb but don't know what guise to go for, if the I go for estate it will be 2k€ more.

This will be a company car and the wife wants a passat

Any thoughts, a 170 elegance is the target but is the estate is better looking buy two grand?

Cheers

Rg

Well I'm biased having collected my estate this Friday. To me yes, the estate every time. But I am known for being odd......

Oh yes.

Personally I was NEVER going to buy a saloon, as the rear end is IMO far too ugly, the estate on the other hand looks lush :giggle:

As for your wife, go and test drive the Passat and right after drive the Superb, I doubt she will still want you to get a Passat after that.

Could you get a different wife who appreciates the Skoda? It would be worth it in the long run.

Saloon. In black. How can you look like a member of the Serbian Mafia driving an estate???

Sensible answer: the hatchback is truly enormous anyway. I'd only have an estate if I had dogs.

• Like 1

Sensible answer: the hatchback is truly enormous anyway. I'd only have an estate if I had dogs.

Or wanted to see out of the back when it was raining?

No it's just that the saloon / hatch irritated me while I had one on lease when it was raining. That said, I'm an estate man just because that's what I think looks better. Even my dealer siad 'that's a lot to pay just for rear wash/wipe'. They clearly didn't understand.

Edited by lowedb

Could you get a different wife who appreciates the Skoda? It would be worth it in the long run.

If only !!

@ Ned. Have two dogs but the scruffs will be getting nowhere near the new car.

I have a dog and went for the estate, but I do believe it looks better than the Twindoor. Worth the extra IMO. In the course of one day I planned and test drove the following Estates,

Merc C and E Class

BMW 3 and 5 Series Touring

Audi A4 Avant

WW Passat 170CR DSG

Skoda Superb Elegance 140CR DSG

I was driving a Merc C Class and was offered a stunning deal ( no...really) on another C Class. I also did the options ready reckoner of the other makes against the Superb which showed me what value the Skoda really was. However what swayed me was the drive, the space, the little touches and the all in package. It beat the Passat hands down. The other thing that made my mind up was the dealer service as against the 'take it or leave it' attitude of other brand dealers.

Six months on I couldn't be happier with the estate which has proved really versatile. My wife says it suits me - not at all sure what that means... :think:

A

Whilst the saloon is no 'looker', it's not as bad as people make out(in the right colours). The lip spolier helps to take away some of the back-end ugliness..imo

If you don't truly need the estate, why pay more for it? I'd seriously consider the lower cost option..

Simon

tried the hatch it was ok had the 140 pd, now have the estate not that much in it really but i prefer the estate better looking in my opion plus rear wiper. not sure if the cr engine is better than the pd it is quieter but??

bill

My first Superb II was a 170 CR Tdi Elegance twin door and must confess I really wanted the estate, but although talked about was not available to order. Within 3 years I changed to an estate.

My observations:

The twin door, whilst clever, is a two step process to open. You have to press the right hand sensor and watch the high level brake light and then operate the left sensor to get the true hatchback feel. There is no option on the key :-( to open in one hit. What it does have that is very good is automatic remote opening of the boot which I found very useful. On the estate you have to pay extra for the remote opening.

The estate floor is not level is drops about 4-5 inches from the lip height, so you need to purchase the Auto Level Boot Floor (ALBF) if yu are going to be sldiing things in and out otherwise it is an awkward lift over the lip (but less height than the Twindoor boot lip). The ALBF is great though.

You get lots of things to hold stuff in place in the estate.

The rear wiper is fantastic. Great combination of features. I have just come in from a very wet 120 mile drive along the A417/M4/A329(M), M3 and M25 and the back is always clear. One clever feature even if you don't activiate the rear wiper is that once every 60 seconds when the front wipers are fully operational it does a single sweep.

Looks is a personal thing - I think the Combi is so much better looking.

Costs,now here's the rub, if you do without auto open/close and auto load floor then it is abt 2K, but these two add another £700.

I didn't buy the auto boot open and regret it.

For me the Twin-door was £4,000 cheaper than the Estate because of the VAT deal. I agree the Estate does look better but I'm not spending £4,000 on it so that made the decision easier.

I think both cars look great. But why buy an estate if you don't need one...and I don't. The one BIG downside of the Twindoor (and its mentioned over and over again) is the lack of a rear wipe. I do wish it was a retro fit option.

For a long time I was totally convinced that the Combi was better looking than the Twindoor then I inexplicably changed my mind.

Just taken delivery of a Candy White Greenline II Hatch (with Sunset Glass) and it looks fantastic - even from the back!

When the dealer was doing his paperwork mine was parked outside the window and there was a combi in front of me in the showroom. I spent a long time looking at them back and forward wonfering if I'd made the wrong decision. Answer...definitely not.

That little spoiler on the back edge of the boot undoudtedly helps a lot.

The price difference is the icing on the cake.

Out in the rain testerday I had no trouble with rear vis and this is the first car I've had for many years that doesn't have a rear wiper.

Edited by Claymore

I have the hatch but wish i'd got the estate , that said I'd only use the extra room once or twice a year

Dont have problem with rear visibilty but i wash my car often and treat with the windows with Carlack

Forgot to mention in earlier post, the Combi boot is a great place to sit and put on/off walking boots, and shelter from the rain - can't do that with the twin- door - for those outdoor types.

Well, this is all very interesting, but at the end of the day it has to be "do you want an estate or not?".

I had a VW Tiguan and before that a Volvo Estate - I now have the 2.0 Tdi Superb Elegance Twindoor 170 4x4 and it's MAGIC! Goes like a bat out of hell, tows my large caravan almost with disdain and has acres of room........

I rest my case.......whatever you get, you'll enjoy anyway.

Well, this is all very interesting, but at the end of the day it has to be "do you want an estate or not?".

I had a VW Tiguan and before that a Volvo Estate - I now have the 2.0 Tdi Superb Elegance Twindoor 170 4x4 and it's MAGIC! Goes like a bat out of hell, tows my large caravan almost with disdain and has acres of room........

I rest my case.......whatever you get, you'll enjoy anyway.

Yes, but if you had got the estate you could have put your caravan in it! :happy:

What is `Carlack` and where can you get it from, please.

Its a cleaner and sealant for glass its like Rain X but much much better i use it on all the glass and mirrors

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/glass-cleaners-sealants/carlack-glass-sealing-kit/prod_348.html