Can't decide what to do with tyres

My OEMs are now down to legal on the fronts and the rears are still showing a healthy amount of tread. I cant feel any uneven wear but they are a bit noisy.

My budget is limited so I might be able to replace all 4 with Falken 452s, or should I just get the fronts replaced with verds or even Goodyear F1s? If so do I have the rears moved to the front? Any suggestions?

I am tempted to just get all 4 done with Falkens.

REplace all 4 with Falkens, and then sell the two good rear ones, offset some of the cost and you will be happy knowing you have a full macthing set of new tyres :-)

I have never had a problem with Falkens always seems to be a well rated tyre, so seems like a good idea to me :-)

• Like 1

Hi try Nexen tyres they are made by Dunlop and are quite well rated, i have used them for years and have never been let down, it's your choice but i recommend these tyres 100%.

Edited by roynhayley

Dunlop tyres, in particularly those fitted many new vRS's, are bloody awful by all accounts so I can't begin to imagine what 'made by Dunlop' but branded as something else would be like!

I've just put 4 new Michelin PS3 tyres on mine and they are excellent.

My advice is to rotate your tyres. Others will disagree, but they're wrong ;-)

I'm having 2 new f1's on the front of my vrs only because I'm getting discount, otherwise it would have been hankook evo12, good reviews and I don't think you can go wrong for the money...

I think I will also be rotating my tyres and having the new ones put on the back...

I replaced my oem Contis with goodyear eagle f1's on the front of my vrs, but i put the new tyres on the rear and the rear contis back on the front. i had falkens on my last vrs and they were ok for about 5000 miles then the grip dissapeared.

The wear on the front compared to the rears is massive, the rears still look new but I don't want to end up having the noise made worse. I agree, the Goodyears are better but its just too much at the moment, I agree I will rotate each year. I only do about 4-5k a year anyway. I can get the Falkens for about £96 each locally.

The new vredestein Vorti's are £102 at the moment on tyremen.co.uk. Unbelievable grip in the wet and dry, highly recomended. I've got a thread running in the tyres section on them, has my opinion on them in there, totally subjective of course, but for the money I think you will struggle to find a better tyre!

My advice is to rotate your tyres. Others will disagree, but they're wrong ;-)

your wrong, why would you put a fwd vehicles front tyres on the rear??

I could sooner recover from understeer than oversteer on public roads.

your wrong, why would you put a fwd vehicles front tyres on the rear??

I could sooner recover from understeer than oversteer on public roads.

Never experienced oversteer (other than deliberate lift off oversteer) in about 10 years of doing this and I drive hard.

Many people operate the policy of best tyres on the front and I don't hear of them ending up in a ditch through oversteer. Also if you don't rotate then your new tyres invariably end up on the front with part worn tyres on the back anyway.

Personally I rotate mine twice through their life so there's minimal difference between the front and backs but I wouldn't be worried with the differential with only rotating once.

The Octavia owner manual also recommends rotating tyres.

Not considered selling the used tyres, ebay maybe?

Yes or on here, they are easy to send you dont need to pack them up, just stick a documents enclosed label with the address in it on them thats it, ebay or on here, just get a photo of the depth and say what depth is on them and let em go on ebay, gotta get something back on them.

I've got 2 Kumhos on the front. Great tyre and very quiet with lots of grip especially in the wet.

They are KU31. They get a good write up too.

Interesting, I tried Kumhos on my last vRS but never again. They were dangerous in the wet. Can't remember the specific ones but has put me off the entire brand!

Never experienced oversteer (other than deliberate lift off oversteer) in about 10 years of doing this and I drive hard.

Many people operate the policy of best tyres on the front and I don't hear of them ending up in a ditch through oversteer. Also if you don't rotate then your new tyres invariably end up on the front with part worn tyres on the back anyway.

Personally I rotate mine twice through their life so there's minimal difference between the front and backs but I wouldn't be worried with the differential with only rotating once.

The Octavia owner manual also recommends rotating tyres.

I think your logic is unreal frankly, always new tyres to the rear even some manufactuers say so.

I think your logic is unreal frankly, always new tyres to the rear even some manufactuers say so.

Explain please.

My new tyres go on front and back as I rotate BUT many will argue if you're only replacing two to put them on the front as that's what does the work.

Edited by Guest

Interesting, I tried Kumhos on my last vRS but never again. They were dangerous in the wet. Can't remember the specific ones but has put me off the entire brand!

May have been for you as you have 100bhp more than me. So far so good with them.

I did have Prestivo,s before made by Yokohama and they were excellent in all conditions but have been taken over now and the quality is c**p.

There was a piece on one of the motoring shows a few years ago that did a test showing why you should always put the newer tyres on the back rather than the front. Basically it reduces oversteer but the results were an eye opener, all of the big tyre fitters always put the 2 new ones on the back so there must be something in it.

May have been for you as you have 100bhp more than me. So far so good with them.

I did have Prestivo,s before made by Yokohama and they were excellent in all conditions but have been taken over now and the quality is c**p.

Had the Kumhos on my old diesel vRS although it was remapped

Camskill currently advertising Michelin PS3 at £103 and Vredestein Sessanta under £100 in 225/40/18, plus a few quid for delivery

That's where I got my PS3s from. Very good price.

My OEMs are now down to legal on the fronts and the rears are still showing a healthy amount of tread. I cant feel any uneven wear but they are a bit noisy.

My budget is limited so I might be able to replace all 4 with Falken 452s, or should I just get the fronts replaced with verds or even Goodyear F1s? If so do I have the rears moved to the front? Any suggestions?

I am tempted to just get all 4 done with Falkens.

If the rears are still showing a healthy amount of tread why don't you just keep them and buy a pair of tyres to replace the worn out ones? If you find them too noisy just swap them over to the front and you'll wear them out quicker than keeping them on the back. To be honest the Octavia isn't the quietest car with respect to tyre noise, so if noise is your main concern use the money you've saved by just buying a pair of tyres on some decent sound proofing for the boot of your car.

The only time I've ever got rid of a pair of tyres with a healthy amount of tread remaining was when I got shot of a nearly new pair of Hong-Kong Phooey Ditchfinder Specials off the back of our Mazda MX-5 on account of them randomly losing all traction with no warning whatsoever whenever there was hint of a cloud in the sky. If your back tyres match this description then go ahead and buy a set of four tyres.

Edited by JulieD
  • Like 1

Hi try Nexen tyres they are made by Dunlop and are quite well rated, i have used them for years and have never been let down, it's your choice but i recommend these tyres 100%.

Are you sure they are made by Dunlop?

Dunlop tyres, in particularly those fitted many new vRS's, are bloody awful by all accounts so I can't begin to imagine what 'made by Dunlop' but branded as something else would be like!

I think the Eagle F1 is produced in some size's in a Dunlop factory, but we need a Goodyear Dunlop employee to confirm this. .