Forum Changes - They start here, please read

ColinD

Ok so screen shots of prefixes from the staging website.

Creating a topic you must select a prefix for the topic.

post-9520-0-18877500-1345654673_thumb.jpg

This creates a prefix next to the topic title

post-9520-0-43334600-1345654675_thumb.jpg

Viewing the forum you can see all of the different prefixes for the forum

post-9520-0-65279600-1345654671_thumb.jpg

Click on one of the prefixes will display all other threads marked with that prefix

post-9520-0-68443300-1345654674_thumb.jpg

Simon, i don't know if you want to add anything to that?

• Like 2

Thanks Alex.

If a goer we'd just need to come up with some prefixes, obviously keeping to as few as possible by grouping similar subjects as in the pics Alex posted above.

If people are keen, what prefixes would you feel would be needed? Most would be generic for use in any model forum, but we could add a small number of model specific ones such as VRS for those models that have it. Maybe an off-road course/route prefix you want to share for example.

We could then replicate a generic car chat area, and any prefixes could marry up with a generic forum.

Will share my thoughts when on pc.

Out of interest, if this page; http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/170-skoda-yeti-owners/ showed you the forums here; http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/118-community/ beneath the yeti forums, would that help in people seeing the wider community and find the correct forum for off topic subjects?

I like that. Simple and easy to navigate.

The initial impression is of a yeti specific forum which feels familiar, but with easy access to other parts of the whole site.

I reckon that's the best incarnation yet.

Out of interest, if this page; http://www.briskoda....da-yeti-owners/ showed you the forums here; http://www.briskoda..../118-community/ beneath the yeti forums, would that help in people seeing the wider community and find the correct forum for off topic subjects?

We could even likely streamline it a little?

So you'd have the yeti stuff, then simply links to the main ones like OT, Roadside, News, Site issues, then a summary to the others like dealers, meets, general car chat etc?

So the yeti community microsite could be:

Yeti

>>Skoda Yeti

>>Yeti Technical Guides

>>Yeti Project Journals

-Community

->>News (Briskoda & Skoda)

->>Off Topic Chat

->>Roadside Hotel

->>Site Issues

->>>More community topics...

-Classfieds

-Dealers

-Meets, Events & Shows

-General Car Chat

I'll have a little play in the test site......

So, classifieds will die a death like blogs did then?

As soon as you take something out of the results an average user who clicks on "View New Content" from the forum gets, you lose it completely; if you have to dig to see if there's something new, rather than it being presented to you, it dies.

• Like 1

So, classifieds will die a death like blogs did then?

As soon as you take something out of the results an average user who clicks on "View New Content" from the forum gets, you lose it completely; if you have to dig to see if there's something new, rather than it being presented to you, it dies.

Thought i just said it appears in new content?

The classifieds app is needed imo.

At present, new content is segregated, so you have "new forum content" and "new pages content" etc. Will classifieds show up under new forum content? Or does the new content feature need to include all new content?

At present, new content is segregated, so you have "new forum content" and "new pages content" etc. Will classifieds show up under new forum content? Or does the new content feature need to include all new content?

It looks like this;

post-9520-0-07730800-1345668547_thumb.jpg

Its not a feature that i actually use :S

But that will be in the forum main menu..

I know, but I thought the idea was each community could simply have a link to the common areas people may want from their community pages by way of links?

Which I cant seem to crack on staging. Every link I add to a community simply bulks out the main page. I assume we'd need to do it via a CSS footer? Or do you know a trick I cant see?

Yeah, so it'll get lost then ;)

We need to try it, the app will give us the ability to allow none freedom members to advertise things for a one off cost rather than join freedom. Something we cant do with the current setup.

Simon, i don't think its as easy as you think it is! I have discussed it with Colin and i think he is on board, lets just say its on the to do list.

• Like 1

I like that. Simple and easy to navigate.

The initial impression is of a yeti specific forum which feels familiar, but with easy access to other parts of the whole site.

I reckon that's the best incarnation yet.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, instead of having the current forum map that looks like a family tree; IT will be like a family tree with a web of connections between the branches of general interest?

If that's correct, it's definitely worth a punt.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S

So if I'm understanding this correctly, instead of having the current forum map that looks like a family tree; IT will be like a family tree with a web of connections between the branches of general interest?

If that's correct, it's definitely worth a punt.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S

More like the tree will still be there (maybe simplified/reorganised), but the Yeti community page would have links beyond the 3 seen at present to the other main areas folk may need.

Well that's the idea, but I think it's a complex thing to initially sort or needs some fudging to make it work that way.

Yeti

>>Skoda Yeti

>>Yeti Technical Guides

>>Yeti Project Journals

-Community

->>News (Briskoda & Skoda)

->>Off Topic Chat

->>Roadside Hotel

->>Site Issues

->>More community topics...

-Classfieds

-Dealers

-Meets, Events & Shows

-General Car Chat

I would say you could loose those in red.

...What Graham said....

Where does my quick link to general/comprehensive 'New Content' come in? (See #99 for explanation).

If it's not there then Babs at #138 probably applies.

Please forgive interruption by a very recent member.

• Like 1

I sense a great deal of enthusiasm from the few who want to update the forum. Perhaps most of the readers, if not the contributors, are happy with the current layout. Personally, after one year, I am still finding my way around the rather larger Briskoda website, as I spend most of my time reading and occasionally posting on the Yeti forum.

I am acutely aware that the Yeti forum is dependent on a decade of Briskoda site development and on the technical skills of volunteer experts whose work I try to understand but am just grateful for.

The Yeti (and perhaps the Citigo if it is a success) have brought an influx of people to the community from elsewhere and they seem to cohere well but have less background interest in the general world of Skoda. I would expect some natural integration, partly from the common mechanical and electronic areas and partly as those for whom the brand was one with an (unfair and wrong) down market image.

My browser opens the Yeti section as it reflects my prime interest but I would welcome technical changes which would widen my sources of information.

Some people have posted in the Yeti section in a way which echoes the behaviour of older boys in the playground when the new children first turn up.

That doesn't help but can sensibly be ignored.

Colin's original idea is a sound one and I think the two most frequently tipped Yeti men would be an addition to the Briskoda team Tim has an unrivalled technical grasp and Johann a wide ranging interest and understanding. Neither has descended to scrapping.

As Yeti enthusiasts we would be better served if we knew more about the roots from which our vehicles have developed and the wider notion of Briskoda as a community would be improved if we were encouraged to join in more and not treated as interlopers.

• Like 3