Hi,

Using POIInspector, I've successfully created a .db3 database of speed cameras, which I've loaded onto an SD card. Columbus accepts this, loads it into the unit and can read back the details of it. However, my new POI category is not listed or available on any of the menus (the last one listed is always "Emergency", which is from Columbus' own pre-existing POI database).

In short: I've got a speed camera database imported successfully into my system, but no way to access its data.

Any ideas, guys?

Regards,

Ned.

The database is "Speed Cameras.db3" inside a folder called "PersonalPOI" in the root of the SD drive. It is a single data file. I have both the latest maps and firmware installed. As I say, Columbus accepts and imports it (suggesting the data format is good) but doesn't make it available via any menu.

Cheers,

Ned.

Try removing the space in the filename. Or use an underscore.

I found the VW POI importer (a website) much easier. I posted a guide to it, http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/ with translation from the German, over in the ICE forum. It lets you add lists of POIs in files (e.g. .csv) to a set, which it then converts into .db3 so you can transfer it to your RNS510 (Columbus).

I transferred over National Trust sites, as well as Sainsbury's and Tescos along with a bunch of other things just to see if it works and it's fine. The reason I tried the NT list is it's very long - the free version of POInspect0r wouldn't let me transfer it.

HTH

Edited by Yearofthegoat
  • Like 1

This is fantastic - you're the only guy who's given me a solution that works! I've wasted £25 on Pimp-My-Nav and £8 on POIinspector...

Respect. :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Hi! I have just paid for and used POInspect0r to upload a speedcam databse from pocketgpsworld and all steps have gone through smmothly. I can search for POI and all speedcams are there however nothing shows on the map, i.e no icon. Have tried changing the icon and made sure it is .png with a size of 29 x 34 but still nothing. I imported as ASC format. Any ideas? Also the link posted above is now dead!

I have spent almost £30 now and would dearly love to see it working- any help much appreciated

In navigation -extras POI chose the categories under sppedcams- all showed up and I selected all 6 plus other 2 I already had on- fuel stations and parking so still under the 10 limit.

But nothing shows on map (apart from original 2 categories)

BUT, I know the database has loaded because if I choose to navigate to a destination and choose POI as one of the speedcam categories they show up in the right locations but again the icons are not showing at the corresponding locations on the map!

... if I choose to navigate to a destination and choose POI as one of the speedcam categories they show up in the right locations but again the icons are not showing at the corresponding locations on the map!

I'm not sure what you mean by "show up in the right locations" - where do they show up, if they're not showing on the map?

Ray

That means I get a cursor in the right location on the road showing the location just like you would for say a house number BUT there is no icon at said location. So if I was driving along obviously nothing will show!

But that's academic now- I changed the icons to the default supplied by PGPSW and now the icons do show up- unfortunately a) its not great to look at and B) all categories look the same (i.e Gatso, Specs, mobbile etc all have same icon). See photo http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o532/gtewary/29E00F89-C0E7-4D8D-ACF4-33A8E3EBA6EC-7593-00000877DB5BD3F8.jpg

Is there anyone who can really help with the icons like I asked in my original post rather than going through the same ground over and over?

Is there anyone who can really help with the icons like I asked in my original post rather than going through the same ground over and over?

Because of the lack of practical detail in the original question, plus unclear explanation in the reply, it was necessary to go "through the same ground over and over," as you so ungraciously put it. Now the problem is clear (at least to me, anyway), it lies in the importation of the icons into the POI programme, as they are obviously not embedding correctly in order to be displayed. I used icons downloaded from GPS World here (consolidated by type), carefully resizing them in a graphics programme to the required size in pixels.

When constructing the actual database, the icon file name and location has to be used in order for the icon to appear correctly in the file tree in the left-hand pane. If all icons appear correectly in the file tree during construction, then there is something amiss in the actual formation of the database.

I'm in North Wales at the moment, so cannot get at my desktop machine right now. If you can wait until Tuesday, I should be able to answer any further questions.

Ray

Because of the lack of practical detail in the original question, plus unclear explanation in the reply, it was necessary to go "through the same ground over and over," as you so ungraciously put it. Now the problem is clear (at least to me, anyway), it lies in the importation of the icons into the POI programme, as they are obviously not embedding correctly in order to be displayed. I used icons downloaded from GPS World here (consolidated by type), carefully resizing them in a graphics programme to the required size in pixels.

When constructing the actual database, the icon file name and location has to be used in order for the icon to appear correctly in the file tree in the left-hand pane. If all icons appear correectly in the file tree during construction, then there is something amiss in the actual formation of the database.

I'm in North Wales at the moment, so cannot get at my desktop machine right now. If you can wait until Tuesday, I should be able to answer any further questions.

Ray

I'm not ungracious. The idea of posting in forums is to get a broad view and cast our net wide. Someone else read my post exactly the same as you and sent me a PM and then an email with the icons. That is all I asked for if you read my post carefully in the first place. You are providing me links to pocketgosworld when I've said clearly that that is where I downloaded the database from. Equally this was posted in a forum and not sent to you as a PM or addressed specifically to you so please grow up.

And please let me clarify I've got it working thanks to DC

Edited by Gtewary

• 1 month later...

It's probably cos the maps are out of date and the format of the related pois are not supported by the firmware, or poss the other way around. If you press and hold setup for

30 secs you may get version info-if you do can you report back software code and map version pls?

Thanks for the help, i pressed and held the setup up button after 10 sec i got into the Version Info page which was showing the following:

Delivery Part Number 3T0 035 680E

Map Version 7690

HW Version H71

SW Version 4120

I need to know if this is the latest software & maps as the car is only 2 days old now.

Thanks for the help, i pressed and held the setup up button after 10 sec i got into the Version Info page which was showing the following:

Delivery Part Number 3T0 035 680E

Map Version 7690

HW Version H71

SW Version 4120

I need to know if this is the latest software & maps as the car is only 2 days old now.

680E is certainly very new - probably the latest;

Map 7690 relates to v.8 (so not the latest VW maps, but the latest Skoda maps - even though they are the same);

SW v.4120 is the latest AFAIK

I found the VW POI importer (a website) much easier. I posted a guide to it, http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/ with translation from the German, over in the ICE forum.

Unfortunately the link in the linked thread no longer works - has it been moved (if so I can't locate it) or has it been permanently removed?

Yes I was wrong as you have both the newest firmware and the newest skoda maps. Certainly should support POIs. Only thing I can think of is the download of maps didn't work properly and needs to be done again - I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to put it right.

I don't suppose you have the map disc to DIY it do you? I know the dealers tend to keep them now, but if you do, its very easy, just pop it in the slot and follow the instructions to copy the data to the hard drive of the columbus unit.

Thanks for all the help, i have got it sorted it was all my fault i hadn't name the folder correctly on the SD card. Adamal i didnt get the map disc as the dealer said they dont supply them anymore because it is put on the harddrive

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the help, i have got it sorted it was all my fault i hadn't name the folder correctly on the SD card. Adamal i didnt get the map disc as the dealer said they dont supply them anymore because it is put on the harddrive

I seem to have the same problem that you had. How should you name the folder on the SD card please?