Arctic blast from the North by the end of the week.

Ootohere

http://www.metcheck.com/uk

Looks like the time to properly get the vehicle ready, nice sunny day for it.

Antifreeze, if not checked yet & the other bits and pieces all sorted out.

I always feel like a kid before Xmas when the good forecast is made.

Only problem being my bones are getting old and the aches and pains are here already before the real cold weather arrives.

If i want to get ahead, gone to need a hat!

(& gloves)

george

Nah can't be true. I've not read any apocalyptic warnings on the Daily Mail for a bit.

Those softies down in London think anything below 10C is arctic.

• Like 1

The only thing that's bothering me about the potential cold is that my driver's heated seat stopped working today :(

Oh, and I've also just noticed how dirty it gets. Now I know why Skoda provided us with a tailgate closing strap!

The only thing that's bothering me about the potential cold is that my driver's heated seat stopped working today :(

Now called Mr Winterbottom . :whew: :think:

• Like 2

The only quote that I liked was "will be the worst/coldest winter for 100yrs"..............

....we had two very good winters a couple of years back............so this will be better?????

YAY..!!!!!!!.......more ski mountaineering.........more ice climbing.........

....just hope i don't lose/break any gear as I'm closing my shop down! :(

I'm glad I'm swapping my tyres around on Wednesday. Winters are going on front.

Winters on front, summers on rear, that will be interesting in the handling.

It can make life interesting, but then if people drive to what they have fitted & the conditions,

1 pair of cold weathers and another pair of something else might be an improvement over 4 unsuitable tyres and not a clue.

Tyre pressures & a knowledge of if the drive wheels are at the front or rear helps.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/cold-weather-tips

Its sometimes funny to see the BMW drivers find out on the first proper slidy day, where their drive comes from and how little traction they have.

(as long as its not your direction they are slip sliding towards.)

george

Worked fine for me for years. Just so long as you know tour/the cars limits and drive accordingly.

I did that last year and have done in the past on mother car with all-season tyres on front.

The only difference on Wednesday I'm fitting 2 brand new summers (Unirayal Rainsprot 2s) on the rear, then have 2 warn (5.5mm tread) winters on front. The winters have been on the rear since Easter.

I will have the most tread on the rear (nearly 9mm), but the softer winters on front. If fitting 2 winters I always put them on the driven wheels.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1

Nokian specifically said put the tyres with the most grip on the rear to me and if it was an emergency and I only had a summer spare, then to put a winter on the rear and the spare at the front.

Their explanation was that the back end stepping out is highly likely on snow/ice and a lot more dangerous than understeer or not being able to get going.

My argument with winters on rear is that you won't get anywhere as the front summers will just spin all the time on ice/snow/slush. So therefore winters on driven wheels. Snow socks are only fitted to driven wheels anyway.

• Like 1

cheezemonkhai,

You certainly do not need to worry about understeer if you have never set off anyplace.

They will have been telling you that about a Front Wheel Driver i imagine, you never said in your post.

If i have to put a spare on a front wheel driver with a front puncture in normal conditions and its a space saver or non directional.

(or the wrong directional for the direction it is going on)

I put the spare on the rear & put the good rear to the front as a temp measure..

2 wheels to change twice, but then i feel safer driving to that set up with steering and braking, till i get a tyre sorted.

(drive to within the tyres fitted,and the vehicle, just like you always would with an odd or not perfect combination, or even with a perfect set up.)

I tend not to listen to someone on the phone that i do not know,

as i never listen to people on the internets advice.

I just never listen really, just go on my or people i actually knows experience quite often.

george

I normally put the spare where the punctured tyre was, until I can get it repaired.

Anyway, this thread wasn't supposed to be yet another tyre or tyre placement thread, so let's get back to topic.

Does anyone remember the headlines last year in the Daily Mail saying we are going to have another Arctic winter, and Britain is going to freeze in October? In the end we had a very mild one with only a small bit of snow.

• Like 1

The only quote that I liked was "will be the worst/coldest winter for 100yrs"..............

....we had two very good winters a couple of years back............so this will be better?????

:(

2010 was the coldest for 100yr as I recall so unless this is worse than that it'll be the worst winter for 2yr. No so good a headline.

Almost as bad as "AVERAGE OCTOBER HEADLINE CRISIS"

• Like 1