VW Golf purchase?

Chubbs

Having started to look at alternatives to the Skoda range I test drove a 140bhp Golf GT the other day, a 61 plate with 14k miles, full leather and 18" Vancouver alloys.

This was a lovely motor and I now understand the more progressive acceleration of the CR vs the kick up the backside of the PD engine.

I thought now may be a good time to buy given the impending arrival of the next generation Golf.

Does anyone have one, or have experience of these, re reliability, known issues etc? Any pros or cons would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Having started to look at alternatives to the Skoda range I test drove a 140bhp Golf GT the other day, a 61 plate with 14k miles, full leather and 18" Vancouver alloys.

This was a lovely motor and I now understand the more progressive acceleration of the CR vs the kick up the backside of the PD engine.

I thought now may be a good time to buy given the impending arrival of the next generation Golf.

Does anyone have one, or have experience of these, re reliability, known issues etc? Any pros or cons would be gratefully received. Thanks.

You will get more car for you money going for a skoda of the same age. They are the same car so more for the same money is always a bonus. The same applies to seat's aswell.

If you are dead set on the golf then i would imagine any major mechanical problems would be the same ones suffered by members on this forum. I loved my golf but i would never buy one again purely because i now know i can get more value in the skoda range and its not like the VW badge has the kudos of say Audi or BMW.

I went from VRs petrol to the golf mk6 match 140bhp bluemotion. Have to say the car is a little boring, but comfort and saving money on fuel is the best bit.

Managed to get alot of toys on the match, things like cruise/mfd/rnd510(bolero version) front/rear sensors auto headlights and wipers along bluetooth and leather mfw. not sure if you get the same spec on the GT version so might be worth checking

so far done 8k on it and its been great, comfy and pokie at once, no ratles no squeeks.

one thing that will hit you is the boot, its nothing like the octavias at all

Get the golf superior quality but more cash, yes they are all vag but not the same build quality nor the same materials used ( not all )

I would say my golf and my VRS are identical in terms of build quality. Perceived quality at any roads.

• Like 1

don't think there is any quality difference between VW and Skoda. Questions I would be asking would be the practical ones - like do you want/need the extra space in the Octy, what kit do I want and get for my money, is either cars handling or ride more suited to your wants.

Or of course there is the biggy - do you want the extra "street cred" that eh Golf is perceived to give

From somene whos done countless testdrives in Golfs, Passats, Octavias and Superbs...

The differences are down to good marketing and perceived quality (as mentioned above). If the areas of plastic around my legs are better quality in the Golf than in the Octavia and the interior handles are damped on the Golf its of no real consequence. If I get a massive boot, more interior space, more equipment and overall better dealer backup then thats something Id rather have. :)

However, given the OPs question Id say that until the full arrival of the new mk7 then the values are yet to drop on the current mk6. The longer you can hold out, the better. :)

• Like 1

I would go for the octy if I'm honest :-0 I miss the kudos of owning a skoda, much more exotic than a vw

Everyone round here drives a Golf, Focus, Astra... theres very few Octavias on the road which is great for the Octy driver. :)

When to say to people you drive a skoda the first thing they reply with "Oh thats the same as a VW now isn't it" ...

"its just like a golf" ............but better ;)

Most folk i speak to still dont realise skoda are basically VW's. Doesnt bother me though as i bought mine to save money so i am under no illusion it is a budget brand. The superb doesnt seem to be a budget car but i think the rest of the skoda range is. No bad thing seeing as the build quality in VAG cars is so high in the first place so a slight drop, if any, in perceived quality still keeps skoda head and shoulders above ford, vauxhall, and the likes.

I tested a Golf GT TDi before getting the Octy, the acres of black plastic put me off just so boring and they seemed quite overpriced to me.

Thought the Octy VRS offering was more interesting and better value.

When to say to people you drive a skoda the first thing they reply with "Oh thats the same as a VW now isn't it" ...

"its just like a golf" ............but better ;)

I told that to a neighbour who came to the UK from Zimbabwe. He was surprised when I showed him the VW logo on different parts of my Fabia and explained that it's basically a Polo under the skin. He was, or seemed to be impressed as he was car shopping at the time.

He went a bought a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rover75 MUPPET :wall:

I told that to a neighbour who came to the UK from Zimbabwe. He was surprised when I showed him the VW logo on different parts of my Fabia and explained that it's basically a Polo under the skin. He was, or seemed to be impressed as he was car shopping at the time.

He went a bought a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rover75 MUPPET :wall:

looks like you scared him off. lol

• Like 1

I have just left VW to buy a skoda

Both cars are good and have their strengths

safety wise the Golf gets curtain and knee airbags even on poverty models

Octavia has a huge boot (nearly twice the size of the golf)

I considered a golf bluemotion before I bought my vrs and the car was up at £21000 and it had a plastic steering wheel.....how crazy is that

If the Golf was the same price I'd consider one, the Octavia is so much better value though.

When I see a Golf on the road I chuckle to myself knowing how they've paid far too much for their car!

I once specced up and ordered a £28k Golf GTD DSG, cancelled it after I was told about the 6 month build time.

Glad I did as its stupid money for a Golf. My vRS Blackline DSG with more spec less the dynaudio and auto sensors was £19,000.

I once specced up and ordered a £28k Golf GTD DSG, cancelled it after I was told about the 6 month build time.

Glad I did as its stupid money for a Golf. My vRS Blackline DSG with more spec less the dynaudio and auto sensors was £19,000.

This sums it up for me. 9k difference for what? Less if you ask me. On the surface of it the golf would have better perceived quality, but not really where it matters and certainly not enough to justify 9k more. For 9k more id want a flipping golf R.

To the O/P

There doesnt seem to have been an answer to your question around any know issues in any of the above responses.

I suspect it might be quicker to hop onto a VW forumfor a couple of hrs & have a quick look around. ;)

• Like 1

CR engine is great - no reliability issues with it such as DPF etc. It is a solid engine.

As for quality, my mother in law has a Mk6 golf and the plastic on the dash is identical to mine down to the pattern of the plastic. The only difference being is the back doors continue the soft plastic whereas mine are the harder plastic. The switchgear is identical. So people who say the VW Golf is better quality, it isn't, its identical unless you are sitting in the back.

This is also why i didn't pay £12k extra for a GTD of the same spec as my Octy, that and the 6 month wait for one back in 2010.

Thanks for the replies. I've been a loyal Skoda customer for years, given value for money etc, now but started to look elsewhere, including the Golf, as Skoda don't do a true hatch like the Golf and Focus, albeit there is a Rapid hatch due in around 12 months (confirmed by dealer last week). I may wait for the new Octavia and see if that will tempt me - if it's anything like the Rapid, it won't!

• Like 1