Hot hatch suggestions

furby-le

Workmates husband bought a Clio 182 as a weekend toy. Cost about £3k + £500 in repairs to get it right. Gets about 40mpg if driven carefully and they both think it's a decent fun car for the money.

I'd rather eat my left nad than get another clio but maybe that's just me.

Do your sums before you buy and assume petrol and VED will go up 30-50% in the next 5 years then decide if you can afford to run a hot hatch.

I went from a 65mpg, £30 tax diesel to the VRS with 35mpg and £250 tax. I can manage it but if I'd had known petrol was about to rocket so much I'd have bought the diesel.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Of the two, I'd go for the Evo. Scoobys hav never floated my automotive boat enough to consider owning one. I've been on the verge of an Evo more than once in the past, but my 10k miles a year made them too expensive. However furby-le, 4 miles each way to work makes your annual mileage quite a bit less than mine. One issue is that it wouldn't even be warmed up after 4 miles.

I keep getting very tempted to chop in my respectable, small spoiler'd vRS for something outrageous like these...

Something doesn't quite add up there...the TTQS was supposed to be lighter than a standard TT, which was done by removing things like the spare wheel, air condition, and fitting lightweight buckets. That looks like it has standard seats and it's listed as having AC. I'm sure it's legit as it's TTOC-badged, but it doesn't seem quite the right spec for what it's claiming to be...unless you could buy them back again as options over the standard TTQS spec. Which does sound a bit Audi-ish I suppose, charging you more to take them out, and then charging you again to put them back in...

I'd go renault cliosport / megane sport every time. Even the niggling electrical faults you will be inundated with will barely be enough to wipe the smile off your face.

Honestly if your after fun then going round a corner like its glued to the tarmac and lifting its rear opposit side wheel off the ground will be begging you to open it up. Not very practical though with two doors but id just live with that :giggle: Save yourself a tonne of money and get a 172 low millage. in standard trim they are very inconspicuous and will defo surprise any other hot hatch you get alongside. even a later model 182 or 197/ as they are heavier so power to weight ratio is similar.

id defo go for an EP3 Civic Type R! Fast as hell, awesome VTEC sound and good Honda reliability!

Only trouble is you have to be high up in the rev range to get it to go, not how i want to drive really, personally i dont think they are that fast.

Don't bother with the Volvo c30..... Had to borrow one (the r-design version) when I took my Furby in for dmf replacement.

Ok the car was only 500 miles old when first got in it, but returned a week later with another 1500 miles on the clock and my still felt ridiculously slower than my vRS.

Other than the rubbish performance I did like to drive it.... Rinsed it to Holland ad back, just don't tell the garage ;)

I went from an Accord type-R to a 535D touring to a Colt CZT (200hp 1 tonne sleeper) to an ST220. Love the ST220 and it is perfect for my 4 month old kid.

Fast, reliable and with all the toys I will ever need BUT it does consume so if you are doing many miles a year look elsewhere. £5 will get you a mint example or the hatchback and will leave you with plenty of money for upgrades and more toys for it!

I had a couple of fast cars and got rid due to rising petrol, insurance, tax etc. couldn't justify the cost to Have them sat in the garage and It was taking the fun out of having a fast car.

Love the cheapNess of the fabia and if I have the urge to get another fast car think I would hire one for a couple of weeks to get it out me my system if that Is possible

You can get decide 535d for the money now, awesome car.

How about a 350z? 300bhp, great reliability and not much money for what they are.

I presume you mean a mk1 focus RS, I'd kill for a mk2

So what other diesel cars are out there to rival the fabia, something a bit special ?

Do you have any other requirements and what makes a car special for you? In terms of sporty diesels, I think BMW pretty much have it sewn up both in terms of power and economy/emissions.

How about a 350z? 300bhp, great reliability and not much money for what they are.

I'm not sure how good reliability is. My (limited!) experience of them is through two friends who bought them new and both got rid within 6 months because of the amount of time the car spent breaking down and off the road. Definitely a lot of car for the money though and decent power and a great soundtrack when it's working :D

Chris

My mate has a 3.5 V6 350z, awesome car but very very very expensive to run! Best part of £500 a year for road tax and 20mpg on a good day!!!

Have you considered a Corsa VXR? A little on the small side maybe but 192bhp as standard and only a little car.

Coming back to the 172 as well, very quick car and can be picked up for next to nothing these days as well.

I think its going to be an astra vxr, an A3 or maybe another bmw. Ive searched for months and havent found anything in particular. Just want something faster, quieter. Ill be putting my furby in the for sale section along with a few bits

I think its going to be an astra vxr

what? do you not have any feeling? just drive one then drive a renault hot hatch. Vauxhall are quick in a straightline ever since the gsi but they just dont do corners and thats where the satisfaction comes from trust me if your going darkside it needs to be a renault. just through one into a corner at high speed on mitchelin pilot exalto II's and you will see what i mean.

• Like 1

A mate of mine had an Astra VXR and went through three turbos in the time I knew him to have it. Otherwise standard car, don't even think it was mapped. Anecdotal evidence at best, but it was enough to put me off having one, much as I enjoyed the test drive :(

If you don't wany anything bigger than the Fabia how about a 9n3 Polo GTi, 1.8t, 5 door. Absolute sleeper, weighs 1160kg and a stage 1 map is good for 200bhp. You could also swap your 312's straight onto it.

Otherwise the Ralliart Colts are a serious bargain, and they also come in 5 doors if needed.

Im after something a bit bigger really as ive just swapped the bm for a fiesta for the mrs, so could do with some more room for journeys with the family. Something with a reasonable mpg and decent running/maintanence cost. I like the renaultsports but ive heard so many horror stories about reliabilty and things going wrong. My mates that have had them said they would never have another. Eveny mate who has the new renaultsport megane 250 has had problems from day 1, another has the clio 200 and thats always having issues and having to go back under warranty. Ive heard the vxr's turbos are prone to going at about 80k or if they are not looked after. Its such a minefield knowing which way to go as all cars have issues