Skip to content

Yeti v Golf

Featured Replies

Still weighing up pros & cons to buy 1-2 year old manual Yeti 1.2TSi SE+ or Elegance v Golf Plus 1.4 TSi SE.

Any comments appreciated. I would rather stay 'Skoda' but Golf may just get it. Price on Golf Plus seems better than equivalent Yeti.

A Golf Plus SE is better specced than a Yeti Elegance?

That seems hard to believe.

For flexibility alone, I would go for the yeti every time, especially, as bossfox says, you could get the elegance spec for less that the SE spec on the golf

The Golf plus depreciates much more than an equivalent Golf,so a second hand one could be good value.

Just check the Spec carefully.

Golf+ = Marmite lemon :think:

Price on Golf Plus seems better than equivalent Yeti.

Can you clarify this part of your post? Second hand they offer more for less cash but the Yeti's depreciation figures are pretty amazing tbh. Ive test driven the Golf Plus and thought it was a nice drive but I couldnt really see any major advantages it held over the Golf, let alone the flexibility of the Yeti. Having said all of that, I do prefer the 1.4TSi engine over the 1.2TSi in cars of this size and weight class.

  • Author

Yes, Yeti-man, it's the 1-2 year old used price I'm looking at, thanks.

Yes, Yeti-man, it's the 1-2 year old used price I'm looking at, thanks.

Understood. Then I guess, yes, you'll get more 2 year old Golf Plus for your money compared to a 2 year old Yeti due to the differing depreciation figures. As an owning prospect though im willing to bet the Yeti will be a far better all rounder. :)

Post this question on a Golf forum for a different result... :blush:

Post this question on a Golf forum for a different result... :blush:

Thats a very valid point. We are going to be pro Yeti by nature! The Yeti is still the better car though. :giggle::happy:;)

... the Yeti's depreciation figures are pretty amazing tbh....

"Low depreciation" usually means from new, and favours the 1st time buyer but not necessarily the 2nd hand buyer. Not sure I'd buy such a 2nd hand Yeti at current price levels!

On the drive we have a 1.2 yeti elegance and a 1.2 Golf - the yeti is much better equipped, and more fun to drive, though the Golf has better fuel economy on long runs due to the better aerodynamics. Suffice to say though that when we go on a family trip - eg drive to Northern Ireland for Christmas, we take the yeti.

Understood. Then I guess, yes, you'll get more 2 year old Golf Plus for your money compared to a 2 year old Yeti due to the differing depreciation figures. As an owning prospect though im willing to bet the Yeti will be a far better all rounder. :)

Ah yes; quite correct but what will they each be worth in 2 - 3 years time?

Have you thought of buying a new one on a PCP? It's like Contract Hire for a business but for individuals. As this is done over three years your monthly payments are about half of what you will pay if buying outright.

I had the same conundrum but after test driving both I had to buy the Yeti, not because the Golf isn't excellent BUT it is soooo boring! Now boring wouldn't matter if the Yeti was inferior to the Golf superior, but it isn't so decision made.

Not regretted decision once.

I reckon the Golf + and the Touran, refined and reliable as they, rank as VAG's most uncharismatic cars...

The only feature of the Golf + that I envied was the early adoption of LED rear light clusters - which were significantly more visible that the standard Golf rear lights.

I own both I have a Golf Edition 35 and a Yeti Elegance 170. Use the Golf to commute and the Yeti at the weekends and I would say I prefer to drive the Yeti over the Golf. Agree with the others the Golf is fairly dull and ordinary where as the Yeti has a bit more character overall and space wise wins by a small margin if you need it.

The build quality is the same and Golf interior material quality, leather, plastics is marginally better than the Yeti. It's the first VW I have owned in 20 years and it's good but nothing special. You cannot go wrong with either so I would suggest going for a drive in both and making your decision.

Have you thought of buying a new one on a PCP? It's like Contract Hire for a business but for individuals. As this is done over three years your monthly payments are about half of what you will pay if buying outright.

But you usually end up paying a lot more in charges, as you pay the interest on all of the money you are not paying off.

So as the capital owed is not as reducing as fast, you pay more interest.

So you get a better car in the short term and are worse off in the long term.

Ah yes; quite correct but what will they each be worth in 2 - 3 years time?

Have you thought of buying a new one on a PCP? It's like Contract Hire for a business but for individuals. As this is done over three years your monthly payments are about half of what you will pay if buying outright.

PCP is an expensive way to buy. My wife used to work for vw finance and would never let me go near any of their deals. Good if you have no other way to buy a new car but avoid if you can.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

I love my Yeti, I really do, value for money/ performance/4x4 there really is not much to match it and that's from someone who couldn't see by BMW however quality wise there is no comparison with a VW Golf Mk VI, the Golf is so much better put together and with better material, compare like with like, look beyond the price and there is only one winner.

I think Jeremy Clarkson recently said , "if everyone drove the car they really needed, we would all be driving Golfs"

If Jeremy said this it must be right!!

I love my Yeti, I really do, value for money/ performance/4x4 there really is not much to match it and that's from someone who couldn't see by BMW however quality wise there is no comparison with a VW Golf Mk VI, the Golf is so much better put together and with better material, compare like with like, look beyond the price and there is only one winner.

But the op isn't comparing these vehicles, he's comparing a Yeti and a Golf Plus.

But the op isn't comparing these vehicles, he's comparing a Yeti and a Golf Plus.

Not much difference bar the higher roof, having driven both for considerable miles.

I've never driven a petrol Yeti so does that rule me out for comment ?

Edited by servicepoint

Not much difference bar the higher roof, having driven both for considerable miles.

I've never driven a petrol Yeti so does that rule me out for comment ?

Not quite sure why it would rule you out but obviously it's more useful to the op if you can comment on the specific characterists of the two vehicles he's considering and comparing. He's not comparing a diesel unit but two different capacity TSi 's. :-)

Obviously having driven them extensively you'll realise the interior of the Golf you mention and compare and the Golf Plus are very very different in terms of style and materials. (Plus still uses the original double circular vent dash design).

I reckon the Golf + and the Touran, refined and reliable as they, rank as VAG's most uncharismatic cars...

The only feature of the Golf + that I envied was the early adoption of LED rear light clusters - which were significantly more visible that the standard Golf rear lights.

Agreed on all of that but I have to confess that the Touran does hold an appeal to me simply for the two additional 'short distance' pop up seats. When they are down (which they would be when not running the kids and their friends around) you get a very useful size boot. :-) Last time we had the use of one my 15 year old wasn't even happy getting in it and called it "a box on wheels" lol

Not quite sure why it would rule you out but obviously it's more useful to the op if you can comment on the specific characterists of the two vehicles he's considering and comparing. He's not comparing a diesel unit but two different capacity TSi 's. :-)

Obviously having driven them extensively you'll realise the interior of the Golf you mention and compare and the Golf Plus are very very different in terms of style and materials. (Plus still uses the original double circular vent dash design).

Yes, but still very much better materials and the way its put together regardless.

I should have perhaps omitted MkVI

from my original post.

Edited by servicepoint

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.