Toyo T1R's - Prepare to be unimpressed!

craig8585

On a side note, the tyre wall is far to soft for a RWD "sports" car and I am once I have need to replace them taking them off and trying something else as its abit boaty at speed when moving lanes.

Good luck with finding a tyre to suit RWD these days, but Yoko, Bridge and Pirelli have the firmest sidewalls...

• Like 1

Cheers for the heads up. Feels very planted on country roads and normal traffic speeds but for some reason at 90leptons quick lane changes it just doesnt feel right, like the back is having to catch up with the front, dragging its arse almost! (running T1-R's on front and back) but its mid-engined and the weight is as close to 50/50 as you can get i'd imagine.

So to confirm they are really bad because they stick to the road in the dry meaning poor rolling resistance? That will do me then!

Dry grip ftw!

Not at all, see post 11

i think the T1R is a good tyre for the money, but I think if you are in that price bracket the hankook ventus evo one is better and at only a few quid more per corner is worth it.

i am looking at putting toyo r1r's on my edition 30 as i dont think the R888 is road legal now? and as people have pointed out you dont want to hit standing water with them on.

The AD08 is, in my opinion, a better tyre than the R1R and suited brilliantly to a performance weekend car that sees mainly fine weather. I had some issues with my last set of R1R's in the wet at Anglesy but have never had such issues with AD08's and the wear rate appears to be better also. It seems to me that Toyo make their tyres soft to compensate for other shortcomings with their 'performance' range.

I believe new R888 tyres are having their road approval removed, but if you have an older set with the stamp on the side, they will be fine.

My mate put a set of 4 T1Rs on his Clio about 4 months ago, the fronts were gone within 3 months so he fitted 2 Uniroyals RS2's to the front, on his way to work (with me) this morning he lost rear end traction and found his way to a tree stump.

I had warned him about T1Rs in the wet but guess he found out the hard way.

I dont understand. Post #11 by you also, doesn't give me the answer to a question I didnt really need an answer for!

I am not saying they are the best tyre out there, or the worst. But you seem to be!

Did you get sacked from Toyo for sleeping with the bosses husband or something? :D 

Very mature of you, well done.

Soft tyres don't automatically equal grip, be it wet or dry. Hence why the AD08 is a softer tyre with a better economy rating.

Look at the facts rather than your claims to fame which have endless variables - it's not difficult.

• Like 1

I actually typed out several replies to this, some serious some not.

In the end I figured your right, anyone who disagree's that T1-R's are in fact the worst tyre in the world are wrong.

One thing however is you opened this thread with your opinion and are now telling others to look at facts when their opinion on the tyre differs from yours.

But yes, the E.U are always right so lets just go with a sticker on the tyre to whats best for the application huh :) 

Arrives with a big spanner an throws it in the works........

If we all went for the most economical tyres then we would be fubared if we wanted to drive sporty!!!

One of the reps I see has an "eco" VW Passat?? new type (61 plate) on factory "premium brand eco tyres"..............worst thing he's driven.......scared himself on the back roads up here!!!

Reason???............low rolling resistance and high stated pressures!!!

As for the "bad" T1-R's...............as previously stated not the best but better than others I've had..

And in the wet I've gone through deep standing water at speed and had no problems!.......

If we all just looked at those stupid EU test results and took them as gospel then why are people complaining about the bad fuel consumpsion of their new car which does not match the stated manufacturers EU figures?????

The EU figures are lab tested guidelines ONLY!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I've got T1Rs all round for the summer, and have run Hankook icepts for the colder months for the past 2 years. When I bought the vrs it had federal 595s all round - now that was a PISH tyre! Nobody is out there saying the Toyos are the best out there, but they're good value for money, especially when they can be had for £55-60 a corner.

I've got T1Rs all round for the summer, and have run Hankook icepts for the colder months for the past 2 years. When I bought the vrs it had federal 595s all round - now that was a PISH tyre! Nobody is out there saying the Toyos are the best out there, but they're good value for money, especially when they can be had for £55-60 a corner.

This is true. When I had T1Rs I was very happy with them in the same way I was happy with my Sony erricson w800i mobile phone. It's just that things have moved on. I now have a iPhone 4s and just splashed out on some continental contact 5s.

Totally agree with T1Rs being great value.

Was very happy with t1s on our 99 imprezza turbo much better than the std bridgestone and t1r on a 130 bhp diesel Mondeo estate before our vrs octy.

Now runing winter rubber Burr the summer is michelin ps2 and vred sessantas. The sessantas are lasting longer than expected.

When they all wear down probably going to switch to Goodyear as3

was very happy with mine on Fabia vRS ... but they didn't last long

i always liked the t1r too, a good tyre on my octy, ran them on my audi and golf too, all had lots of power, and never had problems in the wet or dry.

For the record, when I got my present car, it was on Dunlops. Fitting T1-Rs and going 2PSI up on the Skoda pressures to get rid of excess edge wear transformed it.

As a distress purchase, I've presently got Barums on the front with Toyos rear, strong understeer (worse in the wet), heavy tramlining on broken surfaces and the traction control firing more often. What was that about "Continentals are better" again?

When I purchased the car, it came with Toyo T1R tyres on - and was amazed at how poor they were on wet roads, especially going round roundabouts. Best tyres I had were Michelin Pilots - great wear. Might be more expensive at first, but good value for money in the long run. Will be getting these again or maybe the Uniroyal's after our Winter (when it finally comes) as on Hankook winters at the mo.

Put two Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on Missus' car and these are excellent and a good fitted price from tyretraders (£80 fitted per tyre) though can get slightly cheaper with a code for £78

http://www.tyretrade...1683WRSPT2.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like the T1Rs, in the wet as well. My housing estate turns into the local skidpan in poor weather conditions and the Toyo tyre is the only one that hasn't given me that squeaky bum moment. That's after trying Marrangoni's which are completely hopeless and Goodyear Eagle NCT5 which were very good in the wet and ok in the dry.

That being said I'm interested in trying a different tyre at the moment, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT is in the lead at the moment and after this post I'll think about the Rainsport 2 as well.

Thanks for the info.

I have an idea why people might still hold them in high regard. Its possibly because the predecessor the proxy t1s was one of the best tyres for hothatches at the time and built up a massive reputation although they wore out super quick. Now people asume its replacement is as good even though toyo have changed the tread pattern the shoulde9r construction and rubber compound, possibly to increase longevity. As you have found they still have a good reputation even though the results are not great. Id go for the falkens personally its what I moved to after having a really bad experience with budget tyres and the falkens have been better than the contis on the blackline.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

What results however? The E.U's sticker results? As I prefer my own results based on my usage. Wont use them again on one car not good for it. But perfectly fine imho still for a "hot" hatch (aka Fabia vRS)