Octavia vRS custom BI-XENON projector conversion

I am a bit of a lighting enthusiast and if bi-xenon was an option new I would have ticked it, but unfortunately it's not :-(

I have fitted metal based H7 55w 5000k in the halogen projectors and TBH they are awesome! but I really wanted bi-xenon.

So I have brought a set of Hella D2S E55 bi-xenon projectors and I'm expecting delivery soon :-)

So I am going to either

1. Remove the halogen projector & fit the bi-xenon in its place

OR

2. Remove the bi-xenon solenoid and retro fit it to the halogen projector shield

Looking forward to this little project, anyone know if anyone else is running a Octy vRS with OEM BI-XENON?

Will keep it updated with pics as and when.

Here are the projectors

7b22cbb890b072a9f434194d85de3ece.jpg

Edited by xpower
  • Like 3

...anyone know if anyone else is running a Octy vRS with OEM BI-XENON?

There is no OEM bi-xenon option for the MkII Octavia, at least here in the UK?

Xenon dipped beam only, main beam is halogen / incandescent.

This sounds like a tough challenge though, good luck, and keep us updated!

There is no OEM bi-xenon option for the MkII Octavia, at least here in the UK?

Xenon dipped beam only, main beam is halogen / incandescent.

This sounds like a tough challenge though, good luck, and keep us updated!

Sorry, I should have said OEM quality BI-XENON :-) like you say it was never fitted or ever available on the Octy as an option

will keep this thread updated though!

Ah, sorry, understood now :giggle:

What is you plan with the current main beam reflector? Will you continue to have this light up on main beam together with the xenon projector but use it for the flash function (instead of the xenon projector), similar to the Superb's bi-xenon set-up?

Edited by silver1011

Not totally sure, I will see how good the dip / main light output is running a D2S 5000k bulb driven by a 55w ballast. hopefully it will be amazing!!!

May keep the factory halogen main beam as you can never have to much light on main!!!

Or..... my other thought was to put a set of Cree H1 based LEDs in the main beam and have them illuminated permanently with dipped beam, they arent that bright so will just fill the inner reflector (main beam) with white light.

decisions decisions :-)

good luck with ur project.

pls do keep us posted on ur findings.

i, personally, am more keen on retrofitting afs2 on mine.

here in oz, we only get afs1 (bending xenons). no other xenon options, including bi-xenon.

i believe some of u folk over in europe have the option of xenon with afs2 techonology.

even our neighbours over in NZ get afs2 with their xenons!

OK, still waiting on the Hella projectors from turkey but at least they are here in the UK, just waiting on customs now.

SO - STAGE ONE NOW COMPLETE, THE ORIGINAL PROJECTORS ARE OUT OUT THE HEALIGHTS, more difficult on FL than it sounds.

I dont appear to be able to update the main post which would be better unless i'm missing something? (mods)

So here is a step by step of how to get the projectors out, bearing in mind they are assembled from the other side before the lens is fitted, and oval projectors don't come out of round hole easily :-)

1. Remove headlight bulb and bend both shield tabs inwards (the ones that change from RHD to flat beam pattern)

2. Cut 2 small slots in the headlight as per the picture (looking at the underside)

IMG_1538_zpsb6e6ae2d.jpg

3. Remove 3 Torx screws, T20 size and paint mark where they came from on the projector (so you don't accidentally cut them off) there should be 5 paint marks in total. Tip-ex is better but i didn't have any to hand.

IMG_1541_zpsa088a66c.jpg

IMG_1542_zps4f899041.jpg

As you can see from this image, without any of this the projector wont come out on its own, it looks close but there is no way without disassembling the projector inside the headlight it will go anywhere!

IMG_1533_zps624ca8e7.jpg

4. Using a small dremel, cut around the projector mounting points shaving off any excess metal or holes that aren't used. The projector will then slot out.

IMG_1545_zpsb4d88c77.jpg

5. Here you can see the trimming to the projector mountings

IMG_1547_zps355e2418.jpg

BRING ON THE BI-XENONS NOW!!!

Edited by xpower

OK, the bi-xenon projectors arrived today - Yippee

So whilst I had a spare hour or so at work i managed to fit them, didn't take any pictures but it wasn't that hard. The only thing I decided to do was to keep my original rear bowl and mount the bi-xenon solenoid and lens to it. This enabled me to keep the H7 fitting and not have to purchase D2S bulbs and D2S-AMP adaptors, plus as mine is still under warranty I can remove the xenon kit and refit std halogen H7 in a flash. TBH the rear bowls looked nearly identical anyway.

SO........................

Let me tell you they are AMAZING! light output is well spread and everywhere is lit. I have left the Halogen main beam off for the pics but I am leaving it on as it does help a little to 'pierce the darkness in the distance' :sun:

Dipped Beam

DippedBeam2_zps7b874747.jpg

Main Beam

MainBeam2_zps8eb37c94.jpg

Dipped Beam

DippedBeam1_zpsbb04fac3.jpg

Main beam

MainBeam1copy_zps0880dcec.jpg

So, all done now and I'm pleased with the result, anyone else thinking of it, its easy :rofl:

• 3 months later...

I have decided to remove the projectors and refit the original reflector bowls that came with the bi-xenons. I have also now made custom shields to give a sharper and perfectly straight cutoff with a nice blue hue along the cutoff line.

Light output is much better with this setup, no dark spots or shadows just a perfectly lit area in front of the vehicle. The difference is the main beam - so much brighter than with the H7 bowls.

Setup is now D2S 5000k bulbs and 55w ballasts :-)

• 1 year later...

xpower, 

Bumping this thread.

Props for attempting such an extensive retrofit. I am using a standard H7 5k 35w HID kit which is snugly fit inside of the headlamp housing. I want to try and attempt a bi xenon retrofit just as the standard high beam is not cutting it out for me. 

1. Are the pictures of the projectors in the very first post the OEM ones? 

2. Price and a link of the Hella bi xenons?

3. Bi Xenon model is D2S. IS the original backing plate of projectors all you need to fit a H7 bulb? 

3. Will the H7 kit fit inside the headlamp housing? 

1) the pictures in the very first post are genuine Hella E55 bixenons (not fitted to skodas)

2) mine were cheap but you just need to search E55 projector / bi xenon online. A lot of them come from the USA now

3) Yes, but the output isn't as good (noticeably worse) that's why I eventually swapped them back to the original larger bowls with the D2S fitting.

4) no, the solenoid prevents you getting the ballast inside - I screwed mine to the base of the headlight (as OEM is)

It is definitely worth doing - just ask the member I sold them too. The E55 projectors are better than the the bixenons I have in my mk3 vRS - a cleaner, wider more uniform beam pattern without any dark spots in the beam.

2) mine were cheap but you just need to search E55 projector / bi xenon online. A lot of them come from the USA now

Do I need to specify I have a RHD before ordering?  

It is definitely worth doing - just ask the member I sold them too. The E55 projectors are better than the the bixenons I have in my mk3 vRS - a cleaner, wider more uniform beam pattern without any dark spots in the beam.

Did you screw them into the plastic housing underneath? How did you get the wires through the rubber cap covering the low beam housing? 

And I dont know if I am as good with my hands as you are, to attempt custom fitting the larger bowls. 

Also, what about the shroud, cutoff shield, lens etc when retrofitting onto OE bowl? Any workarounds or is it a simple swap. 

Wiring for the High beam? Does it act as a passing flasher and also come on with high beam? If it is coding, its not a problem as I have access to VCDS.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I make an informed decision before going about the retrofit. 

You need to specify RHD if you can, I got them cheap as they were LHD so I modified the shield cutoff.

As far as the projectors are concerned you don't need to modify them (this includes the bowls) they will almost bolt straight in and use a D2S bulb. You will need to trim the inner frame down a little to make room for the solenoid at the bottom.

As for wiring you just link them off the main beam wire so when you just flash (lights off) only the halogens flash. If the lights are on then you get the bi xenons and the halogens working - no coding required.

As for the wiring I put a small hole in the base of the headlight and run the wires through, sealed around them as to cause no leaks.

It isn't easy but damn it's worth it :-)

The ones I did were plug and play - that's how I sold them to another brisky member easily

As far as the projectors are concerned you don't need to modify them (this includes the bowls) they will almost bolt straight in and use a D2S bulb. You will need to trim the inner frame down a little to make room for the solenoid at the bottom.

It isn't easy but damn it's worth it :-)

The ones I did were plug and play - that's how I sold them to another brisky member easily

Trim the inner frame of the plastic headlamp housing or the metal holder on the projector? Doesnt the D2S bulb have a built-in ignitor at the base of the bulb.

It sure it worth it. I would rather have bi xenon over AFS. 

What do you mean by plug and play -The whole projector and bulb combo?

Wouldn't from the superb or golf fit

I think they would fit from Superb 2..had a look online last night, and, boy are they pricey :$$$: