Low Screenwash warning added

That’s just it though, it may be the sportiest version they make but is IMO spec wise sits below or at best level with the `Elegance in the trim level, so is not top of the range.

I agree, I think the VRS should have more bits. Can't believe how much more the elegance gets over it and part of the reason I went for it. When I look to change the superb with the same engine as the VRS is my choice if I can afford it as that has more toys still

I'm guessing the warning comes on when it is low and not empty? So when you get the warning it is low but still has a little in there?

Pretty sure ours has the warning light (Elegance with headlamp washers) but it's not come on yet and seem to have used a load of screenwash. Maybe because it has a bigger bottle than other cars I've had.

Phil

Phil, yours will as mine does. The warning gives you plenty of time. Mine came up in December and I waited for my service to get it filled and didn't run out. I have changed the settings for the head light washers though

Not aimed directly at anyone, how hard is it to check them regularly though? If you are the only driver then surely you must have an idea they are getting low simply by the amount of times you use them?

If that's the logic why bother having any "fluid low" warning light, just estimate the amount of fuel and oil by how many miles you have driven!?!?

• Like 1

That’s just it though, it may be the sportiest version they make but is IMO spec wise sits below or at best level with the `Elegance in the trim level, so is not top of the range.

That's MY motor. ;)

If that's the logic why bother having any "fluid low" warning light, just estimate the amount of fuel and oil by how many miles you have driven!?!?

because if you have a sudden loss if screen wash its not the end of the world. If the sump cracks and you lose all the oil or the radiator gets punctured then you need to know straight away.

I must admit I don't have a major issue as I tend to:

a) top it up from time to time

B) carry a bottle of VAG screenwash in the car so if I run out I stick that in and use it near until I can top it up.

c) notice when it doesn't give a full on spray and generally get another two or three cleans out of it before it stops completely*

All of that said, for the cost, if this stops me having to get out of the car in the rain and top up the screen-wash even once, then it'll probably have paid for itself

* my old Peugeot was much better at this as, if it ran out, you could pull it whilst braking hard(ish), going downhill, or even going quickly round a roundabout and get a little 'extra' out of it. The Octy must have the tube in a different place on the reservoir as these methods are much less effective

Ive got this warning feature on my Octavia Elegence...between that, the temp warning and low fuel warning I get loads of questions from the wife....whats that?, every single time does my head in, along with the seat belt warning :bandit:

Is this feature only standard on Xenon fitted cars or was it "added" to the FL?

My car already has this feature, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when the warning appeared. Mine is FL and has factory Xenon's - so I don't know which of those 2 means I have the feature as standard :)

My vrs (with xenons) had this as standard. Having run out of screen wash on a winters road some years ago, I think it's a useful feature. My only criticism is that I think they mounted the sensor too high. It seems to come on very early!

Not aimed directly at anyone, how hard is it to check them regularly though? If you are the only driver then surely you must have an idea they are getting low simply by the amount of times you use them?

I beg to dffer it was aimed at me.

I find you hilarious though, usually something i scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

I beg to dffer it was aimed at me.

I find you hilarious though, usually something i scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

This is not the place for your bickering, your reply probably didn't help matters and if you think this is a pointless modification then you shouldn't post.

• Like 1

because if you have a sudden loss if screen wash its not the end of the world. If the sump cracks and you lose all the oil or the radiator gets punctured then you need to know straight away.

It's obviously not as important as the oil/water/fuel but don't think for one minute that finding yourself with an empty washer bottle is not going to be a nuisance, possibly a hazard and sometimes downright dangerous in certain circumstances. Do you drive for a living??

Sent from my HTC

Bit silly that comment really. You can't really see the level in the bottle. Bit like saying no need for fuel gauge you should be able to judge how much you have left in your tank just by judging how much you've driven. It's penny pinching in my view and the VRS handbook doesn't mention anywhere that this warning indicator is N/A on the model. In fact I thought mine was faulty!

It's obviously not as important as the oil/water/fuel but don't think for one minute that finding yourself with an empty washer bottle is not going to be a nuisance, possibly a hazard and sometimes downright dangerous in certain circumstances. Do you drive for a living??

Sent from my HTC

I am a biker like you. I commute 50 miles a day in all weathers on a motorcycle. I also ride a motorcycle on occasion at work so spend another 10 hours on a bike in all weathers. I do not have a screenwash system or even wipers to keep the visor clean. Yes it can get grubby and need a wipe with a glove occasionally but it is never that bad that it is dangerous and I cannot ride to the next garage or shop to get something to clean it. Same cannot be said if I was to lose the oil/coolant. Same goes for the car really.

That being said, I have never run out as I top it up once a week when I wash the car and check the oil/ coolant/tyre pressures.

My warning light came on today... it was very exciting... :giggle:

When I topped it back up it took about 3.5-4 litres so it does indeed come on pretty early but I think that's a good thing. Gives you plenty of notice.

Phil

• Like 1

Is this feature only standard on Xenon fitted cars or was it "added" to the FL?

My car already has this feature, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when the warning appeared. Mine is FL and has factory Xenon's - so I don't know which of those 2 means I have the feature as standard :)

only on cars with xenons, with a vw it was part of the winter pack (Headlight washers, Heated washer jets and Heated seats) no like option with skoda

As has been mentioned, only Octavia's with headlight washers get the low level warning (and larger capacity washer bottle).

Its not only xenon equipped Octavia's that get headlight washers.

They are standard on the Elegance, 4x4 and Scout even if xenon headlights are not fitted.

I am a biker like you. I commute 50 miles a day in all weathers on a motorcycle. I also ride a motorcycle on occasion at work so spend another 10 hours on a bike in all weathers. I do not have a screenwash system or even wipers to keep the visor clean. Yes it can get grubby and need a wipe with a glove occasionally but it is never that bad that it is dangerous and I cannot ride to the next garage or shop to get something to clean it. Same cannot be said if I was to lose the oil/coolant. Same goes for the car really.

That being said, I have never run out as I top it up once a week when I wash the car and check the oil/ coolant/tyre pressures.

I drive 2000kms a week in my car on some very mucky A roads. I just purchased 15 litres of washer (concentrate) so as you can imagine, I empty the bottle fairly sharpish.

I would be dissapointed if my next car doesn't have the warning system.

I believe you can get fined (and points?) for having an empty washer fluid bottle.

Someone must think its important then?

I can't imagine that being true. I can, however, believe that you could get the points and/or fine for driving round with a windscreen plastered in crud.

So it's probably not the empty bottle that's penalised - more the consequences of continuing to drive without cleaning the screen.

To be fair, when there's a lot of salt on the roads and a bit of moisture leading to spray, on an extended run I can get through quite a bit if screenwash. Sometimes I try not to keep doing it and the screen gets very grubby (and difficult to see through) quite quickly

• 4 weeks later...

My warning light came on today... it was very exciting... :giggle:

When I topped it back up it took about 3.5-4 litres so it does indeed come on pretty early but I think that's a good thing. Gives you plenty of notice.

Phil

I ran out of screen wash today.

It was very exciting for me also as I didn't realise that this model (SE+) doesn't have a warning light. Previously having Elegance and L&K, I assumed that this car would also have a warning light. There's nothing obvious in the specs when choosing the model.

I must also have a smaller tank for screen wash now as it only took 3 and a bit litres

Edited by buddiedave