Which fibre broadband company do you use?

AJ7788

Have been struggling for a year with Sky and finally I can now move away. Am looking at fibre, have everything in place in my area, just looking for good companies rather than get stuck for 18 months and have been through what I have been in the last year with Sky.

Just moved to Plusnet. Despite being a BT company I've been impressed with the customer service so far. Their offering was £7 a month cheaper than BTs own (after haggling) and I'm getting £70 cash back via Quidco.

BB performance is ok, I'm not a big downloader or gamer but I can stream HD content from iPlayer.

Phone is switching over too so we'll see if that goes smoothly.

My exchange isn't on the list of congested exchanges.

My fault along with a big long list of people on the sky forums is an excellent connection of 39996 down according to the router but only ever managing speed tests of 24 Mbps tops which equates to a throughput of 2.4mbps when downloading.

Sky have finally acknowledged the issue apparently but have no fix forthcoming.

Sky here but have the "half speed" issue that they can't seem to fix :(

My mate were having the same issue with Sky & after numerous visits he thinks it maybe sorted. I would advise you to sign up with the Sky Forum and get talking with people on there as Sky staff regularly surf on there seem very helpful!

This is how my mate resolved his issue

My exchange isn't on the list of congested exchanges.

My fault along with a big long list of people on the sky forums is an excellent connection of 39996 down according to the router but only ever managing speed tests of 24 Mbps tops which equates to a throughput of 2.4mbps when downloading.

Sky have finally acknowledged the issue apparently but have no fix forthcoming.

Dam you posted back before I posted mine. I would keep nagging on the forum bud.

As for the connection of 39996 that will be what the line has sync'd at, which in my opinion wouldn't indicate a line fault rather a congested network provided by Sky. Do you keep your router on all the time? Leaving the router switched on is alot better as the DSLAM pro-filer at the exchange can mis-diagnose you turning it off regularly as a "dropping line" and lower your speed because of it.

With Virgin Media as it's currently the highest upload I can get here (I run a few websites, so upload is more important to me than download). When it works it's great but if there's a problem it can take ages to resolve (six months the last time). This area is due to get a further speed increase (120 down/12 up) sometime in the Summer but I'm not holding my breath - the last increase was nearly a year later than they said initially. Our local BT exchange isn't forecast to be fibre enabled until the end of next year.

2480293085.png

BT Infinity here - after years of pigeon post I love it!

2477677144.png

Just to note - this is fibre to cabinet, not fibre to premises, which is unlikely ever to reach here. - still miles in from of the 0.4 mb we had previously

My dad is having BT infinity 2 installed next week to replace his current Virgin cable connection. For less money he will be getting an estimated 70meg download instead of his current 10, and a much better upload.

When I am next there, if its any good then I'll dump my Sky ADSL connection and go with BT Infinity 2 as well. I have an estimated line speed in this cottage of 76meg as I am about 300 yds from the cabinet. This will be a big improvement on the 4meg I currently get with Sky.

Why not Sky Fibre Manny? I'd never choose BT over Sky...

Sky can only offer me 40meg at this address, and it will cost me £12.50 a month more than I am currently paying. If I dump the TV package which I don't fully utilise and go freesat then BT Infinity 2 at 70 meg is not only faster but cheaper.