Autocar - 4Wheel drive Vs Winter tyre results

2 Skoda Yeti's, 1 is 4 wheel drive on standard tyres & the other is a Standard Yeti on 4 winter tyres.

5 minutes of interesting footage:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-four-wheel-drive

I'm sure some of you may say it's best to have both but as Octy owners most of us only have 2WD (Excl. the Scout owners of course).

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from this, however seeing it happen in real time makes you wonder if you should keep a spare set of winters in the garage.

Hopefully this isn't too late for most of us, if it is just remember this for the next cold snap we get!

Mark

Yeah saw the article in this week's Autocar. My missus is fed up hearing me rave about winter tyres. I'm sure we'll still get the usual comments that winter tyres are a waste of money though!!

Having the best of both worlds (Octy 4x4 + winters) the test reminded me that while 4WD may indeed be good for acceleration, it doesn't help you any more when it comes to stopping than being in a 2WD.

Driving the works 110 Landrover over a couple of highland winters taught me that a 4x4 was next to useless unless shod with winter rubber - once I couldn't even pull a neighbour's Mini Metro out of a drift, (most embarrassing), and almost came unstuck on more than one occasion.

Can't recommend winter/all season (M&S + Snowflake) tyres enough, for 2WD and 4WD.

'Nokian WR G2' (Octy) and 'Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons' (Polo) being our current brands of choice.

• Like 1

Pretty unsurprising results really. Extra driven wheels won't help much under braking or lateral force if they can'tgrip. Of course 4 driven wheels on good winters are even better.

Then again driving style is even better still.

• Like 1

I've had winter tyres on my Octy vRS Combi for the last 3 winters (and we get proper winters up here). They turned my vRS from a sledge that I could barely get out of the drive to a machine that could go anywhere until depth of snow was greater than the ground clearance.

I will be keeping the vRS but am waiting for my Superb Combi to be built. So knowing what I know about winter tyres what did i buy?

4x4 of course! Whilst the video in the OP is spot on accurate surely the best option is winter tyres on 4x4 - simples!

I do not even understand why this discussion exists. Basically everyone in Europe has two sets of tyres except UK motorists.

You can't really "fix" underperforming tyres by adjusting your driving style. You will still have the stopping distance of a freight train, which is bad if someone pulls out in front of you. To be honest, I have limited experience in driving with summer tyres on winter surfaces because I, like everyone else, change my tyres in time every fall. I've changed back to summers too early a couple of times though and to be honest, both experiences were mindblowing. I was limping along, barely being able to stop and turn, not to mention get going when the light turns green. Meanwhile, everyone else around me drove around just like nothing happened.

• Like 4

Basically everyone in Europe has two sets of tyres except UK motorists.

Everyone in Europe gets a lot of snow except UK Motorists (I'm in the SouthEast) who got 4 days, none of which caused major issues on my run to/from work. The worst problem I had was pulling away from outside the house where the car had got a "snow island" where everyone else had driven passed. 20 feet later........on wet black road again.

I can see the point and value of winter tyres, and if I lived further north I would have them, but I have enough stuff in the garage without adding a complete set of wheels for 360 days of the year. On my cheapo summer tyres I pulled a BMW in the snow as he'd got stuck on an incline.

I think, for the south of England at least, a good set of wets would be more useful than a set of garage-fillers.

I do not even understand why this discussion exists. Basically everyone in Europe has two sets of tyres except UK motorists.

You can't really "fix" underperforming tyres by adjusting your driving style. You will still have the stopping distance of a freight train, which is bad if someone pulls out in front of you. To be honest, I have limited experience in driving with summer tyres on winter surfaces because I, like everyone else, change my tyres in time every fall. I've changed back to summers too early a couple of times though and to be honest, both experiences were mindblowing. I was limping along, barely being able to stop and turn, not to mention get going when the light turns green. Meanwhile, everyone else around me drove around just like nothing happened.

In fairness Finnish winters and UK (well English) winters are not the same thing. By a long way.

Don't forget winter tyres aren't just for snow. Any temp below 7 degrees will see both the grip and wear of winters come into their own.

I purchased the Nokians from Pneus-online and had them delivered to my dealer for fitting to OEM steels.

The Vector 4 Seasons are on the Polo all year (25k mi pa) and again I can't fault them.

I've had winter tyres on my Octy vRS Combi for the last 3 winters (and we get proper winters up here). They turned my vRS from a sledge that I could barely get out of the drive to a machine that could go anywhere until depth of snow was greater than the ground clearance.

I will be keeping the vRS but am waiting for my Superb Combi to be built. So knowing what I know about winter tyres what did i buy?

4x4 of course! Whilst the video in the OP is spot on accurate surely the best option is winter tyres on 4x4 - simples!

Is there such a thing as a vrs combi?

Is there such a thing as a vrs combi?

Yep.

For 'combi' read 'estate'.

Ryan-re, you've got it right!

Wiltshire winters, 2-3 days at the absolute worst after that just wet tarmac, and with no garage, I don't fancy a set of four garden ornaments!

• Like 1

They don't need to make them the law. Nor should everyone need them. But they, in my opinion, should fine people who obstruct roads or cause accidents because they go out in the snow without their car being suitably equipped.

Since a lot of people seem to say we only get snow for one day a year, then it would be reasonable to get a taxi or some other alternative. Also the people who say they have the skills to climb hills in the snow on summer tyres wouldn't get caught out.

We have them on both cars. If SWMBO doesn't get to work, she doesn't get paid. This year her tyres have made a decent profit and were only half way through winter. I've helped a number of stranded people get home because the busses decided to kick them out and return to the depot because conditions were too dangerous.

Is it so bad to just run the winter tyres all year round?

Im guessing & it is a guess that at higher temps the rubber on the winter tyres gets very soft meaning wear will be greater & also handling at speed will be comprimised by the tread moving around but again if you are aware of this you can drive within those limits.

I have a friend who runs all season tyres on his Audi 4WD & the wear rate isnt massive & he rags the poor thing to death so there are other tyres out there. I would suggest the more logical solution & Im amased more dont do it

Interesting debate here which throws some of my logic out of the window http://www.tyrerevie...ey-Stack-Up.htm

Edited by Stuart_J

Winter tyres aren't optimal in dry conditions. The compound and tread is too soft to grip properly.

But I do know several people that drive with studless winter tyres all year round because they can't be arsed to change. :)

Yep.

For 'combi' read 'estate'.

Ryan-re, you've got it right!

Wiltshire winters, 2-3 days at the absolute worst after that just wet tarmac, and with no garage, I don't fancy a set of four garden ornaments!

The estate if I'm not mistaken is not 4x4 whereas the combi is. So my question is is there a 4x4 Vrs?

Edited by Gtewary