HID Aftermaket kit - Help for definitive how to

06 octavia vrs

I'm sure 06 vrs pre fl you go on byte 3 bit 4 and if the option is not available then just add 10 onto the hex value hope this helps

Also you need to untick cold lamp diagnostic which is on one of the 1st 2 bits carnt remember which one

So tell me if I'm right. With this procedure.

09 central electronic

Then into coding?

And I'm guessing long coding helper to get to the breakdown of all the bytes??

Tia

Yes into coding helper

Then ho to byte 3 bit 4 and tick that bi xenons without shutters, it should change the hex value by +10

Then in either byte 1 or 2 u will have a option for cold lamp diagnostic untick this

These instructions are for a pre fl I believe

If the option is not available on byte 3 bit 4 then just add 10 to the hex value manually

Edited by DanialA11

• 1 year later...

Having got used to Xenon's in my Octy, I have noticed that the standard headlights in my 2010 VW Polo 6R are pretty poor. I have done some research and I think the London Colour H7 4300k non canbus friendly kit is the way forward.

Any advice from those more in the know than I am would be greatly received. Particularly is this the right kit for this vehicle. I appreciate this is in the Octavia section of a Skoda forum but they are both VAG vehicle's so someone may know.

Thanks

Are the current headlight bulbs in the Polo H7's?

Are the headlights projectors or reflectors?

If they are H7's and projectors the kit should fit and work fine.

A quick look on Google would suggest the headlights use a standard reflector bowl, this would mean the light scatter from the HID kit would cause issues with glare and dazzle...

parts-Headlight-VW-POLO-6R-1-2-TSI-TYC--

You can now get HID kits for use in reflector lens headlights, there is an ongoing thread in the Octavia MkIII forum, see posts number #127 and #129 here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/328575-better-bulbs-for-mk3-headlights/page-5

These are H7R though, not sure how different these are from the H7 but the pictures of the beam means it should be worth a read.

You can now get HID kits for use in reflector lens headlights, there is an ongoing thread in the Octavia MkIII forum, see posts number #127 and #129 here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/328575-better-bulbs-for-mk3-headlights/page-5

These are H7R though, not sure how different these are from the H7 but the pictures of the beam means it should be worth a read.

Those beam shots in post #129 look terrible! That trapezoid around the beam shouldn't be there, it's caused by the HID bulb putting light in places where it shouldn't. There is much more glare in the shot looking towards the car too, not what you need coming towards you on dark roads.

H7R basically have a shield to block some light and is one of at least 4 variants of a H7 HID bulb.

A standard halogen has no shield because it doesn't need one and the reflector optics are designed not to cause glare given that light source. Not one of these drop in kits will come close to beam control even if they are brighter. Please don't fit HID kits to reflector style headlights, they simply aren't compatible with the optics fitted.

post-121621-0-85320600-1454357208_thumb.jpg

I think you need to get into the thread I linked to, I pointed out earlier in it that HID's weren't suitable for reflectors and got shot down!  :D

Edited by silver1011

I don't feel that pointing out how bad that beam pattern is will help, they are obviously happy with them but showing little consideration for other road users.

Back to Jonboy984's post, the only real option in reflector headlights is to fit performance bulbs such as osram nightbreakers or philips xtremevision. Both are E-marked, completely legal and assuming the headlights are clean will be about the best you'll get. You might get less than 6 months per set depending on usage patterns I'm afraid. The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long etc...

If you really want more light, then you can retrofit original xenon projectors. This will give a lovely legal cutoff and beam pattern under the cutoff line although it won't be legal unless you also fit the headlight washers and self levelling system that would have been present to gain ECE approval on factory fitted system.

You could fit high quality H7 LED's instead - there is a certain brand which output a very similar pattern to halogen bulb.

H7 = 1600 raw lumens

H7 base led retrofit = 4500 raw lumens

449AB4A0-CE80-475B-B8B3-0ECC773E7FBE_zps

• Like 1

I've attached an example of halogen vs VLED LMZ in a dipped reflector and it's not good at all.

Even the VLED's LMZ aren't suitable for a dipped/low beam reflector. On their webpage http://www.vleds.com/h7-lmz-3578.html they state 'RECOMMENDED FOR PROJECTORS & OPEN REFLECTOR HIGH BEAMS' which is because they simply don't match a halogen bulb for light placement. You won't get the focus and hotspot you will from a halogen which means less usable output and added glare.

I'm all for brighter lighting but only when it's properly controlled and as of yet I've not been convinced by any drop in solution for reflector optics.

post-121621-0-25157100-1454398858_thumb.jpg

post-121621-0-40078800-1454398886_thumb.jpg

Wow. That beam is shocking! You sure that's not the full beam?!

And the picture in that other thread of the HIDs in the MK3 Octavia is equally as shocking and really does show how much glare you get from them in a reflector light.

That's what the original poster claimed even after adjustments: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/led-headlights-14-forester-382282/#post4509105

It will depend on the reflector they are paired with but it's an excellent example that quality items even with adjustments available can be terrible for dipped applications.

Another great post is from a Diode Dynamics (an American aftermarket lighting shop) and can be found here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/365409-vled-lmz-platinum-led-headlight-kit-gen-3-m6.html#post4504289

Even as a reseller of LED kits they confirm they aren't suitable for dipped usage. This when fitted to halogen projectors so it's only about beam pattern and output rather than brightness and cutoff meaning reflectors can only be worse still.

If you want to go back to standard bulbs, do you need to re-code or will the car be fine? I borrowed vag com last time, but have been getting flashed more than normal so thinking I should go back to standard. 

Unusual to get flashed in an Octy as they have projectors.

Looking at the picture of the Subaru headlights in post #293, I see how bad they are. It is very clear.

However when I look again at the picture of the H7R HID kit I linked to earlier fitted to a MkIII Octavia Scout I struggle to see the same issues. Am I missing something?

I appreciate a picture up against a garage door is not ideal (the output when viewed as you approach the car from a third of a mile away is more appropriate) the bulb on the left (HID) seems quite close in terms of scatter than the original halogen bulb on the right.

Is the scatter the much dimmer arc of light extending up the garage door?

H7R%20HID_zpsr939bpuj.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Looking at the picture of the Subaru headlights in post #293, I see how bad they are. It is very clear.

However when I look again at the picture of the H7R HID kit I linked to earlier fitted to a MkIII Octavia Scout I struggle to see the same issues. Am I missing something?

I appreciate a picture up against a garage door is not ideal (the output when viewed as you approach the car from a third of a mile away is more appropriate) the bulb on the left (HID) seems quite close in terms of scatter than the original halogen bulb on the right.

Is the scatter the much dimmer arc of light extending up the garage door?

The shape of the beam looks about right although as it has saturated the camera it's hard to see where the hotspot etc actually is. However, it's the area I've marked out in red here that worries me.

post-121621-0-80947100-1454444935_thumb.jpg

That is caused by light that isn't being controlled by the headlight and will is causing glare. I can't see any trace of the same pattern from the halogen even with the brightness/contrast turned up.

post-121621-0-63169400-1454445248_thumb.jpg

If an additional shield designed for the characteristics of these exact reflectors were fitted, it should be possible to get rid of that extra trapezoid and significantly reduce the glare.

• Like 2