Is my car a write off

Providing the roof hasn't been buckled by the impact, I'd say there is a good chance that the car will be repaired, most panels including pillars, can be replaced after damage and suspension components providing the chassis mounting point hasn't moved.

Ian

Not too hopeful for this one as just looked at my policy and states that the car will be written off if repair costs are greater than 60% of its market value

:-(

That quote didn't make me happy

Looking at that latest picture of the damage, if it was my car I'd hope for it to be written off.

Sure, a body shop could make it look like new again, but it'll be a jig stretch and masses of filler kind of job.

Edited by booke23

I would say they'll repair that. I take it your vehicle was moving at the time of the impact?

From the images and info provided I don't think it'll need a jig.

Best of luck getting everything sorted.

I would say they'll repair that. I take it your vehicle was moving at the time of the impact?

From the images and info provided I don't think it'll need a jig.

Best of luck getting everything sorted.

Na mate we were stationary ! Just glad the lorry Swerved

Been picked up today, will see what they say soon hopefully as the insignia hire car is poop

Edited by JaminWales

I fthat was my car, i wouldnt want it back. I would hope it was a write off.

^ That'd be my opinion too tbh.

Used to be 60% of value to write off, no idea if that still applies.

Don't let it go to your insurers choice of repairer if possible. Unless you'd like your car repaired by a herd of angry drunk Wildebeests.

It'll be getting billed to the drivers company so get it done right if it's getting done.

^ That'd be my opinion too tbh.

Used to be 60% of value to write off, no idea if that still applies.

Don't let it go to your insurers choice of repairer if possible. Unless you'd like your car repaired by a herd of angry drunk Wildebeests.

It'll be getting billed to the drivers company so get it done right if it's getting done.

Yeah my policy states 60% of the value, car has gone to SMS garage in Cardiff which looks pretty good according to their website and there's 1 5 star review on google so fingers crossed.

Let the battle commence for payout. Don't take the first offer as its virtually every time under value (because the can)

Get on Aurotrader and find 3/4 ads for local replacements of your car to use as evidence

Not sure how much I can get it for yet, mrs took the call will have a word tomorrow or sat

Been looking about and a similar one is about 9k except it doesn't have F+R parking sensors like mine had

Any idea of its crashes worth ???

Well insurance got back to me today and its a fudged :-(

Thanks for the well wishes

Now the question is do I buy it back an strip it ?!

Gutted for you mate. Here's hoping the insurance company don't mess you around with the payout

Well insurance got back to me today and its a fudged :-(

Sorry to hear that. :(

Hopefully you won't have issues with regard to the valuation, but if you do, here's how the Financial Ombudsman Service determine the value of the car - maybe useful to know should you end up squabbling (one co-worker received an above-value payout instantly, another had a valuation ~£1.5k below it's worth, with the insurer stating "how the FoS determine the value isn't right, and if you complain, we'll reduce the valuation"!) : http://www.financial...aluation.html#2

Edited by martinch

doubtful its worth buying back to strip, unless you had a lot done to it, if you know where it was recovered too, the salvage yard would let you go see the car and empty your stuff out of it, you could take whatever you think is worth taking then

• 5 months later...

I got side shunted this evening. Rear offside door is mangled and a dent to body of car below. Unable to check underneath. Unable to post pics yet as its a monsoon here!

Car was only a year old a few weeks back :( 

Other driver claimed responsibility at the time, but no witnesses

I remember when a girl ran into the back of our old fiesta at a traffic light many years ago and the insurance company fixed the car but it was never the same and we had a few water leaks in the car from the front and in the boot we could not get fixed properly, so we sold the car on and bought a new one.

A girl ran into the back of your car and damaged it!  Lucky she wasn't driving a car, it could have been really serious.  :hi:

• Like 1

My 2003 leon was hit by a taxi in the snow in 2010. The final repair bill came to £2600 and as it was over Xmas I had a hire car for 3 weeks.

The car was probably only worth 4k at the time but they fixed it.

Before

Posted Image

Looking good again before I sold herPosted Image