New yeti oil consumption....

jezzep

Hi guys,

My 170 has now done 1500 miles. One thing I note against all my previous vw diesels, is that my new one hasn't been doing an impression of a two stroke in the running in period? Has vw been doing some engine redesign lately?

Br

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I've done 60k+ and still have half a litre of oil from when I had Dewi first serviced.

My driving must have become more sedate ;)

JeZ

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 2

My old one didn't use any in 36000.

The new one has done 600 mies so far and all ok But I did notice that they put 500ml of oil in a pouch in the boot so weather they expect it to use some I am not sure time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

but do you know it's not possible, do you?

DPF regeneration can use a fair bit of oil.

Offnote, not sure what you mean?

My car has never been topped up between services with oil, I do check it because of the high miles I do. In the first week of ownership I towed a caravan to Dolgellau, when we go there dipped the oil and it was on the bottom of the dipstick, I topped it up.

Car regens quite regularly but as said, never uses any oil.

How can the engine inject fuel into the oil?

Doesn't make sense to me, did you add that bit on?

Never mind the fact that it would logically not lower the oil level as it's adding to the oil, so the last part seems a bit odd.

There is a big difference between the early PD diesel units with DPF added later and the latest CR units.

The above post doesn't make it clear which engine type it is referring to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All I know is that every mile on my Yeti was put there by me, I also know that I haven't added any oil other than in it's first week of life, as for diesel in the oil? I don't know.

I do know Mazda cars have three marks on the dipstick, if the level gets to the top one then you have to go to a dealer and have the oil changed, Mazda diesels do put diesel into the oil! We had a Mazda 6 on our fleet and it had loads of DPF issues.

Yeti and the A4 B8 I had before it never used oil, Passat did every 7000 miles but did not have DPF

Mine hasn't used a drop in normal usage between services but has only done 25k miles.

Having said that, on a trip to Scotland last year, i checked the level before setting off, all OK

Checked it again half way and needed to put 3/4 litre in!

Checked again on arrival at our destination and it hasn't used any.

It's never done it again so I don't know what went on this time?

Other than servicing, in 54000 miles I've never knowingly added any oil, or had an issue with a DPF regeneration...

And in 2500 with the same engine in the 'Berb it is the same glorious, smooth, potent story. Yippee!

Never mind the fact that it would logically not lower the oil level as it's adding to the oil, so the last part seems a bit odd.

Surely diesel into the oil really doesn't make sense? You would change the viscosity of the oil? Of course i could be wrong...

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Diesel mixing with the engine oil is possible, but as mentioned this applies to the older PD engines and not the latest CR engines fitted to the Yeti.

I had diesel leaking past the injector seals on my PD engined Octavia which diluted and increased the level of the engine oil.

Can I ask if this is what the MT manager at my old work was complaining about when he said leaving the diesel engine of the department defender running when stationary was causing it to 'make oil'?

We did complain that the engine needed to be on atop the roof to make the beacon flash to meet CAA regulations that were supposed to stop aircraft hitting us whilst on the working area!

Edited by angrybeard

Diesel is not injected into the oil. During active regeneration, diesel is injected into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke so unburnt fuel goes out with the exhaust gases and then burns on the catalyst in the DPF to help boost the temperature.

The unintended consequence of this is that a small amount of this diesel clings to the cylinder walls and may find its way past the pistons into the sump thereby diluting the oil. The theory (hope?) is that elevated oil temperatures cause this to evaporate so no harm done.

Problems can arise where repeated failed attempts at regeneration (eg due to failed sensor) can cause a significant build up of diesel in.the oil. Additionally, the short journeys that caused the need to regenerate in the first place also restrict the opportunity for the diesel to evaporate. Biodiesel content also causes issues because of low volatility. In extreme cases the level can get so high that the oil/diesel mix gets sucked through the crankcase breather/recycle system causing the engine to runaway and self destruct. Happened recently to a colleague's Honda CR-V - needed new engine (under warranty!). Cause was faulty sensor that put it into almost permanent active regen mode.

Like this - different cause here but this is what it looked like when it happened to the CR-V!:

The moral is to keep a regular check on oil level and do something if it starts to rise!

Sorry! Just gave Offnote more fuel(!) for his anti-Yeti campaign! Better cross CR-V's of your list too Offnote. Oh! And that's a Land-Rover in the video clip...

• Like 2

eccleshill has nailed it. DPF regen does not, in itself, use up any oil. Fuel dilution is a potential consequence and, if the regens are frequent and/or short journeys are done then this fuel dilution accumulates and affects the oil through reduced viscosity and diluted additives.

Overall, it is impossible to run an engine and not use ANY oil, because when oil gets hot it evaporates, which goes out through the crankcase breather. However, it is possible for this effect to be very slow or imperceptible and for an oil charge to last between services without top-up.

bingo!

Do you really just pick up on the bits you want to read or is your English bad? Now read the rest of the sentence...

However, it is possible for this effect to be very slow or imperceptible and for an oil charge to last between services without top-up.

Now you have read this, you might want to read between the lines too.

Our friend is probably doing a PhD in social inter-reaction on an internet forum :rofl:

Is he adding that to the PhD he already has for attaining a Doctorate in being the Internet's most boring poster :hi: