Multi-Media and USB adaptor - how to fit

Had anyone fitted the OEM multi-media adaptor for USB or iPod to add to Columbus RNS-510 please?

I have bought the kit - which comes with instructions for Golf (ex Polish manufacturer). Deffo the right kit. But all the places for the different components clearly don't work for the Superb II - for example the connector box in the golf goes by the passenger door in the side of the glovebox, and the lead running through to glovebox?

I assume on the Superb the lead has to go back to the centre armrest box by the aux socket (the white blanking plate inside the armrest being where it comes out) - but if so, where does the connector box fit? And how did you run the cables without pulling the whole car apart...or did you! Anyone been down this road please?

Edited by Brockysuperb

Gosh, a rare criticism of the car...yup, it's a light I found last night (thanks to above). But I keep gloves in there so it's always covered. Should be higher next to the aux input. Pretty useless so low. BUT that deepens the mystery...can someone with multimedia/usb input tell me please where the lead is fitted? Has anyone retro fitted please?

on my old superb there was just a short lead coming out off the glove box not sure if it went to the back of the columbus or not.

bill

Gosh, a rare criticism of the car...yup, it's a light I found last night (thanks to above). But I keep gloves in there so it's always covered. Should be higher next to the aux input. Pretty useless so low. BUT that deepens the mystery...can someone with multimedia/usb input tell me please where the lead is fitted? Has anyone retro fitted please?

If you got the one with a black box (looks like it would fit under the armrest) then its the wrong one, but it sounds like you have the right one because it fits in the golfs glove box.

I put mine on the top of the little drawer (below the light switch) so when you open it you can not see it, also was easy to route the cable under the steering wheel, finally you don't have to lean over to the glove box which is where Skoda factory fit it.

I used a little drill to cut the rectangle hole out, and finished of with a small file, the draw is only held in with 2 screws so easy to remove/replace.

Edited by BurialConstant

I had mine fitted by my Skoda dealer prior to car delivery last month and the socket was fitted in the centre armrest box on the side opposite the AUX socket I.e. the gear lever side.

Thanks to all, fitted today. Took BurialConstant's advice. Putting the new connector block in was a pain (the original plug goes into this socket as a block, and then that extends a new plug into the back of the Columbus. After much trying it slipped on top of the plastic over the radio, with the new plug coming down the back. Separating this bundle from the other aerial/tv cables helped a lot. Putting it back was tight - and glad I checked all functions before re-screwing as the TV lead was not in fully, although it has felt like it and the clip had gone 'home'.

Feeding the multi-media unit cable out and under the steering wheel was fine, carefully routed over the top of the knee airbag. But again, getting the connector box in over the drawer/compartment was a pain, until I realised I could get at it also through a gap by the fuses to put it in place, and surround with foam rubber to stop any noises. Worked first off (the manual says it needs VCDS to reset the media input). But did need VCDS to reset the airbag light which had been upset by disconnecting the front passenger off warning light from below the radio.

Total cost £104 from EBay, total time, about an hour. Only one tool needed - a hex key, and a an old credit card for the radio surround. Ref the pictures above, there's no sign of a cut-out, indentation or whatever in the centre console if it's not a factory fit. Wish I'd ordered it with the car, but all's well now and so many thanks to the help from others above. And in passing the indexing/playing is much quicker than the HDD.

• 2 months later...

I have specified midi in my order, but I do wonder what the point is when you plug an SD card right in....?

It also charges the phone which is why I specified it, but having to buy the appropriate lead (iPhone, mini usb etc) makes it a very expensive option.

Will not work with the iPhone 5 even with lightning adapter :(

Sorry to disagree with you on this but I have an iPhone 5 and when connected to the MDI using a lightning adapter it charges fine. My MDI was not a factory fit, it was fitted by my Skoda dealer in the same position as the factory fitted version though. Don't know whether this makes any difference.

• 1 year later...

I've just retro-fitted this with my Dad's help, (and we will be doing his next weekend), and have placed the module behind the Climate controls as there's acres of room there, then fed the connector lead into the top of the glovebox and cut a small hole, and plan to get the facia trim to hold in place and have it looking as good as possible rather than having the lead hanging. Currently using an ipod lead, but plac to get usb for flash drive as well. :thumbup:

Only thing with mine, all works fine with the ipod, but VCDS shows an error saying coding incorrect?