Skoda Octavia 3 Owners register

My umbrella was in the boot on delivery until the dealer spotted it and moved it to the pull-out holder at the front of the passenger seat   :^]

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:30, Lordch said:

My umbrella was in the boot on delivery until the dealer spotted it and moved it to the pull-out holder at the front of the passenger seat   :^]

My umbrella was missing on collection so Saleman pinched one from Race Blue VRS in the showroom. Hope they checked whoever bought that car!

Nice pic Rab-k. Looks like the right place for a Scout.

I'm in the mountains of North Wales and my Oct II 4x4 was so needed getting in and out during the recent snows but sometimes the ground clearance wasn't quite enough.

image.png.81a5275b07acba8d7acbb51b5de5ffa4.png 

So I've just swapped for a 64plate Oct III Scout with DSG. Very pleased to have just got 50mpg (indicated) on a fairly fast 300 mile run.

See my intro..

I can get in and out much quicker now!

Peter

• Like 1

Nice colour Peter :thumbup:

We had the same ground clearance  issue with the 2010 Octy II 1.6 TDI CR 4X4 which the Scout has now replaced.

A couple of winters ago the snow found a gap in the plastic under-body protection and, as more snow was packed in as we drove along, the gap widened until eventually it partially detached and acted like a large scoop - cramming more snow/slush between the chassis and plastic guard. ( £200+ at the dealer to fit a replacement).

Hopefully the Scout won't suffer the same issue, but I'm wary of deep snow after seeing a neighbour's Golf come unstuck when he tried to use the front bumper valance as a snow plough - with predictable results.

I'll be avoiding taking the Scout anywhere near the white stuff for the time being, (It's due to snow again later today), as it's shod with summer rubber. Come October, I'll treat it to a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, (M+S & 'Mountain Snowflake' rated), which the 4x4 was fitted with. (With the ESP off, the 4x4  felt like it could go up walls).

If I wake up to white world later today I'll be taking the Fabia - it has the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted already.

• Like 1

Ah - well it has snowed over night for us in N Wales, at least those in higher places.

image.png.34a2aad3ffe69821852cadbb456c65f3.png

You must have had a panel loose already I'd have thought. Looking underneath after a session of snow ploughing I was well impressed though the rear suspension arms were packed as well as the wheel arches. I made sure I knocked some of it free before it froze solid overnight. I was anxious when the way forward became impassable and I had to reverse as any deviation from my original line rather exposed the exhaust and the panel overlaps which are streamlined for forward movement.

The fresh snow was soft but after several days of thaw/freeze and tractors passing etc there were many chunks of ice which sounded far less forgiving as they ground there way under the floor. It felt and sounded like a ship cutting through polar ice.

The Oct III Scout seems more robust underneath and the front spoiler, though only plastic, appears to be very solid. The mouldings  around the fog-lights also seem very tough. The protection for brake and fuel lines will help. It has been designed to push through so I've no concerns other than my usual reluctance to go out if I don't need to because I always feel so vulnerable to other people sliding into me. On small lanes the insurance always goes for 50/50 blame and no-claims protection or not the premiums always shoot up if you claim (I hate insurance).

My Scout is still on Sportcontacts - 3s on the back and 5s on the front. Hopeless grip in the snow. 4-wheel drive forwards and round bends brings an advantage but everyone has 4-wheel breaking. The winter tyres are a must. I loved the wintercontacts I'd fitted on the Oct 4x4 and kept them on all year. A friend with a Scout has just fitted the Goodyear 4-seasons but going by this tyre review they were topped by the wintercontacts (which are ranked separately as they came late):

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-20172018-results-by-category

I noticed the sportcontact3's had excellent rim protection profile but the sportcontact5's had far less and sure enough there has been a bit of kerb nibbling. I may go for some add-on rim protectors in due course - not cheap though. I'm still looking through Briskoda for a good tyre discussion....

The forecast certainly predicts a good dose of snow for Scotland, if not today then tomorrow depending how far north and how far up you're living. You have got to get out there - even if just to get some more excellent pics for posting on Briskoda! 

Cheers,  Peter

• Like 1

Only light snow at the moment. (I think the Borders might get the worst of it throughout the day). Fabia it is for today!

Glad I opted for 2WD+All Season over 4WD+Summers, otherwise tonight's drive home might have turned out to be 'interesting'... the Merc driver trying to get up the hill a few miles further on was certainly having an 'interesting' time of it  :o 

Now, where's me :beer: gone...

snow.jpg

Good to see you made it back to the beer cellar with bed. Excellent picture of the road ahead over your dash. Long day at work though.

I'm decided on Wintercontact TS860's for next tyre change - have to try and wear these sportcontacts down before next winter (any excuse!).

Far better to compromise a bit of warm dry braking than be totally pickled when it snows. We don't get that much dry warm weather here anyway. We seem to have 6 months of cold wet roads. In the winter snows I need to be able to ferry guests in and out if their wheels can't cope - we get lots of visitors even when they're telling people not to venture out.

I recon it'll be a toss up between Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons or Michelin CrossClimate come October, but £ will likely be the decider. 

Rab, did you get a chance to see the recent Autoexpress comparison I gave in the link to above? 

The Goodyear and Michelin are both very good but the Continental stand clear above them both according to those tests - but elsewhere too. They included warmer weather tests too with the intention that these tyres would be kept on throughout the year. 

The price of the tyres seems very close but the rolling resistance may make a significant difference to to your mpg.

The Michelin won the comparison - but they added the Continental and Dunlop tyres which hadn't been available during the main testing. The Michelin lost out on snow and 'curved aquaplaning'  but excelled in the dry.  I guess we each have to choose if the extra ability in the dry on many summer days is worth more than that extra ability in the occasional winter snow.

For me,  getting stuck in the snow is to be avoided at all costs.

Unless I missed it, the link only gave manufacturer and not model of tyre. Aside from cost, what I also consider is whether the 3PMSF and M+S markings are present, as not every all season tyre has them.

I've only experience of Pirelli Cinturato All Season, Goodyear Vector 4 Season Gen 2 and Vredestein Quatrac Lite, so I'll be happy to bear in mind your suggestion come the time.:thumbup:

Edited by Rab-k

The link was to the summary page but if you click through the pages on left you'll see the full test details and specifics about each tyre. They'll confirm your choice is very good anyway. 

The wintercontacts have M+S and snow peak symbol though I can't find an image just now. 

• Like 1

Just realised I was reading it using 'simple view' on my phone. Can see the tyre models on normal view. Cheers. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Those words sound so familiar.....

I had to double take for a moment, I thought it was my old car.

Was yours sold on through the dealership or shipped off to an anonymous auction? My poor old dear had 136k miles and wasn't fit for private sale. Somehow it seems better that its just sold at a 'buyer beware' auction rather than me selling it at the side of the road locally. I've always had it serviced and repaired at dealership but I knew things that weren't right. Scrappage would have been best maybe but I couldn't have afforded a new DSG Scout thats for sure. It felt a bit like putting down an ageing pet which is now suffering too much.  Sniff.

Economically it was a write off. It was costing much more in maintenance each year than it was worth. I might as well spend that same amount on a much newer, more reliable and far more comfortable car (oodles more fun too!).

Same... 144k, FSH, good on the whole with just wear'n'tear items, (shockers, springs, pads, disks), being the usual issues. (EGR valve replacement at 80k was the only 'nasty'). However, age was against it, (7+), and you don't want to get to the 'dripping roast' stage; so part-ex'd and off to the dealer's preferred auctioneer.

• Like 1

Got my 2017 245 VRS to replace my 2010 2.0TDI CR 140.

Literally in love with it!

vrs2451.jpg

vrs245.jpeg

Edited by Lemming
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

New to Skoda, although have owned 3 VW's and my current other car is a Seat Leon ST Excellence. Traded in our tired 2012 Passat last week for this. Camping trips have gone up a notch especially with the removable factory fit tow bar.:)

20180426_155752.jpg

• Like 1

New to the Skoda family here in Australia.

Proud new owner of this MY17 Octavia RS 230 :) Extremely happy with how the car drives and all the gadgets it has, certainly a huge improvement from my old car! Now for some OBDeleven coding...

Skoda.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...