Wet Grip

grayson

I picked up my current Yeti in August and it was fitted with Pirelli P Zero's. Lord knows, we have had enough rain since then. I have to say that their grip in the wet is first class. I also found them perfectly OK in the snow, although I know others had problems with the white stuff.

Mine has had Dunlop SP Sport 17" tyres from new, nothing wrong with them in my opinion, I think driving style is a lot of the problem not the tyres.

• Like 4

The Dunlops SP01's don't give me confidence in the wet like my Continental Winter tyres do.

I will look for something more suitable for our damp summers when the time comes, which will probably be next year. I expect them to do about 25,000+ miles, not having been used in the winter at all, and be down to around 3-4mm tread left based on use so far.

It might be my driving style, but the Dunlops wear very well.

I've done 25,000 miles on the original set and they still have just under 5mm tread on all four.

They did get rotated at 15,000 miles though, so that might have helped ?

I wonder if the Pirellis on the new car will last as well?

I was fearful of having to pay for a one off Dunlop SP1 today having discovered a screw in one of my rear tyres, which would of made it more upsetting having so little wear in them after only 13.5k. The front are marginally worse, but it seems more a case of rubber perishing on the outer edge. Luckily being in the centre it was repairable for £16, so now no worries for my next trans-continental jaunt.

I will be looking to get either all seasons or winters in Autumn as the location I will be living/working in will be slightly more northerly than Kent...

Haldex 4x4 can be tricky in heavy rain/standing water, as you can push it to the limit of tyre grip without realising your there and then you loose it to aquaplaning (unlike a 2wd which will start to 'twitch' beforehand); need to be aware and take due care/consideration of speed in the wet.

Noticed our 215/60 R16 summer Conti's are rubbish in the wet and obviously getting worse as they wear down; not so PremiumContact. However the same size winter Hankook's have no such issues (obviously) and seem even in warmer temps to be superior in almost all respects to the Conti.

Like others have mentioned I'd go with something like a Goodyear Vector 4 season to improve grip.

TP

I don't want to keep this running, but after reading with interest this thread and many others similar and not only on briskoda, I would like to know what sort of speeds people are travelling at to get all these problems being mentioned. Surely you should be driving to suit the conditions, to get a car "twitching" or losing grip is down to poor handling, if it's raining that much then slow down a bit, and you won't get aquaplaning if you come across a lot of surface water.

I realise obviously that very worn tyres won't help, but you must know they are worn, and very silly to drive as normal knowing they are. There are loads of experienced drivers on here who never have any trouble, so don't keep blaming different makes of tyre, when it's probably your own fault.

• Like 3

I don't want to keep this running, but after reading with interest this thread and many others similar and not only on briskoda, I would like to know what sort of speeds people are travelling at to get all these problems being mentioned. Surely you should be driving to suit the conditions, to get a car "twitching" or losing grip is down to poor handling, if it's raining that much then slow down a bit, and you won't get aquaplaning if you come across a lot of surface water.

I realise obviously that very worn tyres won't help, but you must know they are worn, and very silly to drive as normal knowing they are. There are loads of experienced drivers on here who never have any trouble, so don't keep blaming different makes of tyre, when it's probably your own fault.

I expect you are right-or at least you post as if you are!

In the real world some of us do not have your 100% correct judgement and fail to gauge every variation in road surface and weather with your precision-so don't mind us less skilled folk having a chat.

I was pleased to see Dunlops on my new L&K as I had good service from them over 18k on the old car. My winters Wintercontacts and latterly Nokians do feel better on very wet roads.

• Like 1

I don't mind anyone having a "chat" as you put it, and I certainly wasn't refering to anyone in particular. But what get's me is people going on about loss of grip etc in the wet, or even dry sometimes, it's not rocket science, SLOW DOWN a bit, if you are within the official speed limits you won't have any problems.

Glad to know you like the Dunlops, I think they are fine, and swapping front to rear certainly evens up the wear, as it did on my Freelander, and works on any car, does'nt have to be 4x4.

Oh, one final comment, I too live in the real world, but I concentrate on the road when I'm driving, if your judgement of conditions isn't 100% maybe you should take the bus. :rain::giggle:

• Like 3

Anzio... I was thinking very much the same thing, and wondering whether to stick my head over the parapet and say so! It seems that some drivers ROUTINELY reach the limit of tyre adhesion, which I find somewhat disquieting. I know the Yeti is built for rugged conditions so a higher proportion of Yeti drivers will push the limits than will drivers of conventional soloon cars, but I'm beginning to wonder what kind of driving fraternity I have joined since buying a Yeti. Except in very extreme conditions of ice and snow or mud, and even then only a handful of times in 50 years of driving, I have never reached the limits of a car's roadholding in normal use, and would not be in a position to comment on any particular tyre's level of grip.

(Dons steel helmet and runs for cover)

• Like 3

The last car I found the limit of adhesion in was a second hand Renault 17 coupe-with mixed tyres- and that was more than 25 years ago.

The purpose of seeking and sharing views about the comparative levels of wet grip is so as to operate with the best margin.Most journeys most of us make could be accomplished safely in a Morris Minor woodie on cross ply tyres which will reach and maintain the national speed limit and with proper anticipation will corner and stop adequately. Some people would be happier with that and seem to be driving cars far beyond their requirements.

I reached the limits of my wet weather adhesion twice this week when it started to drizzle.

Pulling away from stationary junctions ,with some steering lock applied ,the inside wheel briefly tramped and spun.

When I replace the Eco conti 2 tyres ,or whatever they're called , it will be with be with tyres with better wet grip.

Rather than trying to achieve the lowest possible rolling resistance.

I should add that for the remaining 99.99999% of the time I drive well within the wet capabilities of any tyres. :whew:

• Like 1

I buy the best tyres I can not because I want to push them to the limit, but because if I have to suddenly brake or dodge something, I want to know I've got the best chance I can. You can't anticipate everything.

• Like 4

OK, just my view on this. Now and again without pushing the car any more than normal driving there has been the odd time in bad weather when I have had to brake harder than normal or take evasive action. Whilst the car and the tyres have done their job there has been a feeling that the tyres may have felt more than a tad vague or insecure during the event. For that reason I will put the best tyres on the car that I can afford for the conditions.

• Like 2

The tyres are the most important part you can buy for the car in my opinion. I will always buy the best I can. It only takes one 'event' for them to prove their worth.

And they will be replaced at around 4mm.

• Like 2

, if you are within the official speed limits you won't have any problems.

Have to disagree with that. The speed limit has very little to do with the adhesion of the road or the conditions. It is very easy to lose control of a car well within most of the speed limits, and equally it is often possible to drive "safely" above the speed limits.

I also think it is useful to sometimes explore the limits of your car where it is safe to do so. If you don't do this, you will never know where the limit of your car is or how it will behave when you reach it - you might actually be driving right on the border of those limits without realising it. Try getting a session on the local skid pan if you want to do this slowly and safely, it might make all the difference one day when you hit that patch of diesel on a wet road!

For what its worth, I have the original Dunlops on and have no issues with them.

Edited by rog737
  • Like 1

The speed limit has very little to do with the adhesion of the road or the conditions. It is very easy to lose control of a car well within most of the speed limits, and equally it is often possible to drive "safely" above the speed limits.

I'd agree with what you say. That statement of Anzio's suggests he doesn't know quite as much about the subject as JCP suggested. IFAIAA it's possible for car tyres to aquaplane at speeds around 30mph (dependent on road conditions, tyre wear, water depth etc) so simply saying "stick to the speed limit and you'll be OK" is waaaay too simplistic. Even in the dry it's extremely poor advice.

• Like 1

The last two posters want to read my post #34 slowly, very slowly if it helps, and you may just notice I mentioned tyre wear and conditions.

Also please explain where in this country would you be driving your car at it's "limit" it's not legal on public roads, by all means find out at a track day, but that's the only place you will legally ever reach your cars limit.

I have also mentioned in previous posts about "the speed limit" I did'nt say stick to the "speed limit" I said if you are within the speed limit, it still amazes me the number of people who think the figure on a road sign means that is the speed you have to drive at, it's not, it's the maximum legal speed allowed, that's why you get done if get caught going over it.

You are, in law, correct about speed limits. The overall national speed limit dates from drum brakes and cross ply tyres with cars (with very few exceptions) which were at the edge of their capability much over 70.

The limits are still the same after nearly half a century for all sorts of reasons which no doubt make sense to some people.

People who drive at a speed inappropriate to the conditions have always been a risk to others. I've been caught on a motorway in stair rod rain where visibility and aquaplaning risk would have made stopping desirable but people were still doing speeds of 50 plus. I went off into a works vehicle only area off road out of self preservation.

I have seen cars on motorways in normal conditions building up queues of HGVs because they are comfortable at (or incapable of exceeding) 45.

In neither instance was any speed limit breached.

There are drivers, I've followed them, who do 30 ish on rural b roads and maintain their "safe" speed though villages where peoples doors open onto the carriageway.

Speed limits have no direct connection with safety at all and the attitude they do is why people sit in lane 2 at what their speedos say is 70 (but may well be 64) with traffic from lane 1 having to move to lane 3 to get past-tempted to go nearer 80 to do so rather than becoming a part of the rolling roadblock the "safe" driver is causing.

I expect experience in Lundy is different.

IMO it would be useful if those who cannot imagine going near their car's capability should be restricted to vehicles whose limits are closer to their user.

Morris Minors are available made as new and there are many Triumph Heralds in good order. Live a little, Get a 2CV.

• Like 2

If you are starting to 'aquaplane' in wet conditions (regardless of tyres or car) I think its time to hand in your licence.

Once, in 43 years, where on a country road at night which I know well, a puddle had formed near the apex of a modest bend. A bank had failed and blocked a culvert. Since the road was damp it didn't show in headlights.

Otherwise I try to achieve the god like skill levels of the internet expert.

• Like 2

I fully appreciate the fear that you must of encountered with your 'scary' puddle....and to be be fair,it must have been a very large 'scary' puddle to accommodate all 4 tyres at the same....but I am thinking,.... was it not it was in fact a 'river' a 'ford' or someone's 'garden pond' that you unfortunately found yourself helplessly swimming in. Nevertheless, any 'Internet God' (well everyone for that matter) can cope with such extreme conditions (like 99% of the driving population do everyday)...by slowing down a little bit.

• Like 1

I fully appreciate the fear that you must of encountered with your 'scary' puddle....and to be be fair,it must have been a very large 'scary' puddle to accommodate all 4 tyres at the same....but I am thinking,.... was it not it was in fact a 'river' a 'ford' or someone's 'garden pond' that you unfortunately found yourself helplessly swimming in. Nevertheless, any 'Internet God' (well everyone for that matter) can cope with such extreme conditions (like 99% of the driving population do everyday)...by slowing down a little bit.

I've read your post, and one of us thinks aquaplaning is something different. I think it is when one or more wheels loses grip because the depth of water exceeds the tyre's ability to displace it. What do you think Aquaplaning means?

• Like 1