20k from front tyres? Anyone?

Yawn,

Got about 44,000 miles on origional "Turenzas", proper poor in the snow btw.

But still a bit of life in them.

Mixed and matched at random round all four corners.

I didn't want to hear that. I'm trying to wear out a pair of those right now. They looked half cut when I got the car, 20,000km later and they don't look much different and I just want them gone.

My Continental PureContacts have turned up (good for 70,000 miles allegedly), but the current rubber aint worn out yet and it's snowing every couple of weeks.

Edited by Kiwibacon

I bought my car second hand with 16,000km and still the OEM set of Bridgestone Turanza and they still have lot of life... unfortunately.

Oh no, not Turanzas!

The only time I have had those, was on the Mazda which we sold (to buy the Octavia). They had over 52K miles, and showed no sign of ever wearing out.

That was also the first time in twenty years that I almost lost the car completely, on a damp roundabout at moderate speed.

I managed about 25-30k with my Contis on the Octavia. The Superb came with Dunlop SP and these weren't too bad, think I got about 22k out of the fronts, guess the overall front weight contributed to that.

Am now on 44k so they'll be due soon again. Have been impressed with the Dunlops to be honest

Oh no, not Turanzas!

The only time I have had those, was on the Mazda which we sold (to buy the Octavia). They had over 52K miles, and showed no sign of ever wearing out.

That was also the first time in twenty years that I almost lost the car completely, on a damp roundabout at moderate speed.

Just like I suspected.

With my current mileage average, I'll probably write off my car in 12-15 years still with those dreadful Tur... on.

Alternatively, I could take advantage of the roads that these days seem more like WWI trenches (thanks to bad, prolonged winter and low maintenance by impoverished local admin).

If I hadn't spent all my money on silly, useless things like mortgage, heating bill, taxes and car&bike insurances I'd change them immediately.

Oh well, this summer I'm going to rack up about 3000km so I hope to scratch them a bit.

WoW

a whole 3000 :giggle: km

thats a massive 1875 miles

thats nowt....................................................................................................................................................................... to a set of Turenza's

• 1 year later...

Just to add to a year old topic. Turenzas on my old VRS estate went to 18k on the front. Changed them to Michelin. Got over 21 k on them, good handling.

Present Octy VRS estate 2012 model. 13,650 miles. Had a slow puncture so took it to local National tyres where I had always had good deals and service. £24 for the repair. Then the fitter came back and there was a thin nail poking out inside on the tyre wall, but could not be seen outside!

Told needed new tyre for £175 18" Continental. I pointed out I was a long standing customer so he knocked £20 off. Big deal!!

After starting to fit that they also pointed out the front tyres were on the limit. They would charge £144 for them.? Said I would get back to them! Rang Micheldever tyres, 10 miles from  me . They asked for £117 all in. They checked the tyres and were starting to fit them and found out the nearside rear was scuffed on the inside edge due to the wheel needed adjustment. So another new tyre and £24 for adjustment. Went out of there with bill for just over £400 + £155 for the previous day. Totally fecked off!  Last time I fit Continentals. There engineer said they were very good tyres for the car with good handling and road holding but they don't last long!!. I asked what about Michelins? He said they would last longer and cost less, road holding and handling was good but no quite as good as the Contis. So Michelin next time round unless something better turns up!!!!  I don't hang about in the car but don't throw it around either so can't really understand the tyre mileage. Hey Ho,  if you drive the car you want you have got to be aware of the cost of running it before buying. I was but did not expect that early a bill !!!!!!!!

Then the wife went and spent £170 on food and general shopping. Put paid to my beer money for a good while!!

15000 miles on front tyres that were on the car when I bought it. so that would suggest around 20000 from new. As for the comments about less tread on  factory fitted tyres I think thats rubbish.

15000 on front tyre that were on the car when I bought it so that would suggest around 20000 from the new tyre, As for the factory fitted tyre having less tread I think thats rubbish.

15000 on my fronts, factory fitted conti 2s, 22000 on the rear and they are nearing the point where they need changing. Replaced fronts with goodyears and they still have loads left after 7000 and are lots quieter too.

15K on the original Conti's. 20k on a set of Yoko's.

Switched to Goodyear First 2 were destroyed by pot holes after 3K. The replacement goodyears have been on about 11K and still look good, due a service in the next few months, so with get the "offical" dephs left

16k on some "Kenda" tyres not even half worn but what a crock of rubbish in the wet!

Now put them on the rears and put something a lot better on the fronts...Michelin pilot sport 3's, what as difference but doubt I will see 16k out of them.

Not sure I get these tyre wear threads.

Two identical cars with identical tyres.

Two different drivers and different commutes equals completely different results.

• Like 3

Not sure I get these tyre wear threads.

Two identical cars with identical tyres.

Two different drivers and different commutes equals completely different results.

Very true.

However, for information only, when I had my Octi vRS TDi (estate) I seem to remember getting mid 20k miles out of the front factory fit Conti 2's. Changed for Conti 3's and got about the same. Changed all 4 next for Conti 5's, and were actually wearing better than all the previous tyres. Car was sold about 10k miles after the Conti 5's were fitted, so have no reliable total usage details.

Many will testify that I was not exactly gentle with my right foot, and there was always a boot full of heavy tools. I also thought that the balance between wet weather and dry weather handling plus road noise was good. Roads driven were a mix of motorway (60%), town (30%) and country lanes (10%). TBH, not the greatest tyres in snow, but they are sold as a summer tyre.............

Remember, your tyres are one of the only things keeping you on the road.....................................

J

Are we talking kilometres or miles. I got about 30'000 miles from my front tyres on my vrs diesel, they were Michelin premacys. The cars now done about 45'000 and the Backs are still going strong.

I had Michelin Primacy on my remapped 1.8tsi.  I got 75,000km (~45,000miles) out of the set.  They were X-rotated every 10,000km.

I got 45,000km ~(28k miles) out of the OEM CSC2 also X-rotated every 10k km.

I usually don't give it a bootful until I'm in at least in 2nd gear so that helps a lot.

If you need longevity from your tyres then probably worth spending cash on Micheline Energy tyres. I got 55k miles from a front set of them on a diesel Clio, lasted twice as long as the brake disks.

My VRS ate front tyres at about 17k irrespective of the brand. I drive on twisty A roads.

• Like 1

Wheel alignment will have a large effect too. On fuel consumption also.

Hankook Ventus Evo2, 17" wheels with the factory lower sports suspension. Lasted until just before xmas, from Octber 2011, about 30,000 miles.

On Fenland roads, so lots of articulation and therefore scrubbing.

Our TDi came with Michelin energy savers non the front and Sava Intensa on the rear. Both pretty much new. They have a good 20,000 miles and been rotated. The Michelin's are at 4mm or just under and the Savas are at 5mm.

Apparently the latter have a tendency to plasticise. When I can afford they are coming off.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Edited by MattHunt

Just replaced the fronts (Conti 5) on my VRS CR after 28k (mostly motorway) miles with 4mm tread left. Impressive life but the tyre roar was driving me mad on the coarse tarmac on the M40 south of Jn 10.

Replaced with Dunlop Sport Maax RT. Seem substantially quieter so far.

Down here in the southwest on these twisty country lanes I have never got more than 12k miles out of any tyre on any car... But the the roads are all buggered too!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk