What is it with Yeti Windscreens?

bilun777

A small stone hit the bottom of the windscreen this afternoon ,and now it's a 9" crack running up the middle.

That's the second screen in less than 3 years.

Years ago I used to drive around in old cars ,with so many nicks in the glass, that they looked like they'd been pebble-dashed.

If you so much as look at a Skoda windscreen it cracks like thin ice..... :@

Juke and Qashqai screens = likewise.

I've had two of each fitted in six years.

I blame the roads up here...and my driving too impatiently behind tourists when the roads have recently been chipped :think:

Because years ago screens were fitted into rubber channels so they flexed with the car and weren't under tension. Now they are ridgedly stuck to the body and are under tension.

And it isn't just Yeti screens, it is all windscreens, so can we please stop this continual blaming.

• Like 3

Seems as if the glass is softer as not only do they crack, but also show marks from stones/wipers.

I had a replacement fitted by Autoglass (not OEM from what I could tell) but is now peppered with marks

and the driving routine has not changed from when original one was fitted.

Not scientific and could be wrong as ever.

When I had the Toyota Prius I had 3 screens in three years, I actually had one fitted one Friday and had a stone hit it and crack it again the following day. Graham's comments are correct and I also feel the rake of the Prius screen added to the stress on it

Cuthbert is on his third screen in 30K and I practice old phart driving..... they seem very frail......

Reminds me to gee up Autoglass as they forgot ro put the parking ticket clip back in... last time around ....despite the promises of coming back... :@

Probably more to do with the angle of the windscreen and other characteristics of the 'Yeti' shape than anything else. Any debris kicked off the road will I suspect, have greater impact/force on a more vertical windscreen (like the Yeti) than regular cars with softer angles to their windscreens.............perhaps. ?

I am sure there is an equation out there that could prove my hypothesis.

f(x)= x^3 – 6x^2 + 13x- 10 proves that the straightness of the windscreen less the extra height above ground level is the main determinant of breakages due to road debris.

Or not...

Edited by freedie

f(x)= x^3 – 6x^2 + 13x- 10 proves that the straightness of the windscreen less the extra height above ground level is the main determinant of breakages due to road debris.[/size]

Looks good to me ! ......even better after a couple of glasses of wine. Who said physics was difficult.

Or not...[/size]

f(x)= x^3 – 6x^2 + 13x- 11 proves that the straightness of the windscreen less the extra height above ground level is the main determinant of breakages due to road debris.

Or not...

Corrected that for you.

And I'm sure there should be a "Y" in there somewhere........

Think about my last sentence!

MC Hammer bringing us neatly back to the fragility of windscreens (as in "U Can't Touch This"...).

One thing I would add (that I learned from experience) is that if replacing a windscreen on a VAG car with rain-sensing wipers, it might be better having it done at a VAG dealer rather than a generic windscreen place. My Golf had its windscreen replaced due to a stone chip, and neither the rain sensor or the intermittent function worked properly after that. I'm not sure if this was due to the glass being carelessly fitted, or whether the electronics of the car need to be "told" that the rain sensor is now sitting on a different piece of glass.

I had a screen replaced beginning of this year on the old Yeti the Autoglass man tested the rain sensor with a spray bottle.  I was quite happy with the first test but he did a number trials with less and less spray.  I was impressed.

Has anyone had a heated screen replaced if so did it cause any problems with supply or fitting?

Also any insurance problems as I believe all heated screens on Yetis are a added extra.

No problems with fitting heated screen.. waited 2 weeks for import.

Ontopic, we replaced 2 screens in 2 years. One on 1.2 (standars screen, flying bottle from neighbor window) and one heated @1.4 (small rock from truck in opposite lane).

Had some small rocks after but screen doesnt even chipped. Btw, screen is same as on Roomster.

Edited by lok
  • Like 1