DSG or manual

Imperceptive gear changes?

Yes, still amazes me.

First time I took a ride in one the only way I knew it was changing gear was watching the flick of the rev counter.

An amazing piece of kit and one I will stick with

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

So you couldn't feel the change in rpm or the change in pulling power?

Seriously?

Supurbia, it was the ZF auto.  I haven't driven Ford's powershift.

No where near as much as in a manual.

In a year it's done 20,000 miles and behaved perfectly.

With no effort from the driver it whips through the gears and delivers a far smoother up change than any, I repeat any driver I have sat alongside.

I have yet to meet anyone who can change gears under acceleration quicker and smoother........Clark Kent might have an outside chance.

Anyway no worries, we all make our own choices, we don't all like marmite

Regards all

Juan

• Like 2

No where near as much as in a manual.

In a year it's done 20,000 miles and behaved perfectly.

With no effort from the driver it whips through the gears and delivers a far smoother up change than any, I repeat any driver I have sat alongside.

I have yet to meet anyone who can change gears under acceleration quicker and smoother........Clark Kent might have an outside chance.

Anyway no worries, we all make our own choices, we don't all like marmite

Regards all

Juan

It was actually tested against pro race drivers and none of them could beat the DSG for shifing speed, I don't think a man can process and execute at that speed simply down to physics.

Edited by Supurbia

So you couldn't feel the change in rpm or the change in pulling power?

Seriously?

Supurbia, it was the ZF auto.  I haven't driven Ford's powershift.

I'd agree with that. Obviously when you kickdown to overtake it pulls like a rocket, but for granny driving, I never feel it change, or can tell what gear I'm in without looking (and it rarely feels like the wrong one).

Not if you've a modicum of sense, though, surely?

But most supercar drivers are football " players" I would not trust the likes of Rooney and co with a kids scooter!  :rofl:

Imperceptive gear changes?

Sorry but this is a reflection of how little you are in touch with what the car is doing.  The only gearboxes of any type with imperceptible gear changes are CVT.  DSG changes are extremely abrupt compared to a torque converter autos.  The TC autos can slur the change at the only cost of heating oil.  The DSG's can't afford to slip the clutches with each change as this dramatically shortens their life.

Strikes me that you have not driven a DSG or if you have, with a fairly heavy right foot. The average driver and passenger will not notice the gear changes apart from the rev counter needle doing a dance. There is really clever piece of software interaction between gearbox and the throttle if driven with respect (showing mechanical empathy) so that there is no "Bump" etc. when shifting gears just smooth progress along the road in style.

• Like 2

It was actually tested against pro race drivers and none of them could beat the DSG for shifing speed, I don't think a man can process and execute at that speed simply down to physics.

You don't have to.  Unless you're trying a straight line sprint (always a great example of driving skill) then gear changes are always pre-empted by the driver.  You don't need a millisecond gear change exiting a corner because you've already selected the right gear before.

Just like passing.  A DSG needs fast changes because it doesn't know when you're going for it.  But it still cuts engine power and lags more than a manual because it couldn't be in the right gear beforehand.

Strikes me that you have not driven a DSG or if you have, with a fairly heavy right foot. The average driver and passenger will not notice the gear changes apart from the rev counter needle doing a dance. There is really clever piece of software interaction between gearbox and the throttle if driven with respect (showing mechanical empathy) so that there is no "Bump" etc. when shifting gears just smooth progress along the road in style.

Yes I have driven DSG and even with the tacho obscured I have no problems picking the changes.  The average driver is probably too busy on their cellphone to notice.

It actually strikes me reading these threads that most/all DSG lovers have never worked out how to change gear smoothly in a manual.  Ever heard of matching rpm?  Using the clutch as a variable engagement rather than a switch?

Sounds like most manual gear boxes need a controller upgrade.

If you want an automatic for urban driving, then that's all fine and dandy.  By all means get a DSG.  But most of the arguments put forward for the DSG box on these forums (imperceptible gear changes etc) are complete and utter rubbish.

BTW, I have never claimed a "bump" while DSG changes.

Blah, blah, blah complete and utter rubbish

I'm sure the OP will take all our opinions into account. In the meantime, perhaps you'd kindly not try to impose yours on the rest of us in such an insulting manner.

Thanks.

Edited by Devon Wanderer

I'm sure the OP will take all our opinions into account. In the meantime, perhaps you'd kindly not try to impose yours on the rest of us in such an insulting manner.

Thanks.

If you want to take the moral high ground.  You'd need to stop with the petty edits.

Sorry Kiwibacon, Just to quantify my 3 year old is fitted with a brand new DSG box (was replaced as part of the sale agreement when I bought it.) I have driven many traditional autos 4 cylinder , v6's and v8s in USA, Canada, UK, Australia and whilst living in New Zealand for 5 years. This is far superior to any of them! 

I suspect kiwibacon is a BMW fan and just being a PIA, so just ignore his ignorant gibes and he will probably go away. (from another kiwi)

Edited by brian245

Sorry Kiwibacon, Just to quantify my 3 year old is fitted with a brand new DSG box (was replaced as part of the sale agreement when I bought it.) I have driven many traditional autos 4 cylinder , v6's and v8s in USA, Canada, UK, Australia and whilst living in New Zealand for 5 years. This is far superior to any of them! 

It will be.  Conventional autos used to be complete pox and many still are.  It's only recently they've gained enough gears to use the t-c lockup properly and offer performance and fuel economy that is acceptable, but still lower than manual boxes.  Until then they were oil stirring performance killers and fuel wasters.

I suspect kiwibacon is a BMW fan and just being a PIA, so just ignore his ignorant gibes and he will probably go away. (from another kiwi)

No.  Who mentioned BMW?

It will be.  Conventional autos used to be complete pox and many still are.  It's only recently they've gained enough gears to use the t-c lockup properly and offer performance and fuel economy that is acceptable, but still lower than manual boxes.  Until then they were oil stirring performance killers and fuel wasters.

No.  Who mentioned BMW?

I think you summed it nicely there with the performance killers statement, I think I was right the first time, driving with a heavy right foot to extract the performance might well ruffle the DSG's feathers a bit, as in deed it would with almost any auto box.

If its performance you want them go and get a performance car, the Superb is not and it never will be one of them. It is a car that offers no frills space and comfort for its driver and passengers alike, that's why there is no VRS version of it. How many other cars are there of its size and comfort that are real performance cars? Not many and those that do exist also cost a huge great pile more as well.

• Like 2

I have only previously added one person to my ignore list.  I've now made it two by adding Kiwibacon.  I suggest that anyone else who finds his uninformed rants annoying does likewise.  

• Like 1

I have only previously added one person to my ignore list.  I've now made it two by adding Kiwibacon.  I suggest that anyone else who finds his uninformed rants annoying does likewise.  

Oh no.  Someone didn't like the gearboxes in my cars.  So I publicly ignored them.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the automatic gearbox be manually operated? YES

Can the manual gearbox be automatically operated? NO

End of discussion

IMHO, having a clutch pedal in the 21st century is completely out of date, it's the same as having manually operated windows or mirrors.

Can the automatic gearbox be manually operated? YES

Can the manual gearbox be automatically operated? NO

End of discussion

IMHO, having a clutch pedal in the 21st century is completely out of date, it's the same as having manually operated windows or mirrors.

Wrong way around, DSG it's more like having windows that go up and down by themselves and mirrors that adjust when they want to.

I currently have a Superb Elegance 170 on order for my company car. There is a significant difference in CO2 emissions between the manual and DSG - 122 for the manual and 141 for the DSG. This equates to a real premium on BIK. Simple question ... is the DSG worth it?

I'd say it depends on the type of driving you will be doing. The Superb is quite a relaxed car and in many cases favours an automatic box for its driving style.  Certainly if you'll be in stop-start traffic or wafting your way through tight country roads I would prefer a DSG to a manual.  However I've a manual Superb, partly because it was the only option for the 170 4x4 I have but also because in the steep mountains and snow it is a better bet (I'll be using it for skiing).  You can have more finesse about take-off with a manual box which is important when trying to maintain traction on a snow-ridden hill, or even just pulling up into a steep driveway.  The DSG Octavia 4x4 I drove in the Alps this March wasn't the best for this.

The perfect for me would be a conventional auto.  Serious offroaders use conventional auto boxes as the power can be applied very gradually and smoothly from stationary.  Conventional autos are getting much better now, to the extent they can rival DSGs for economy.

Michael

• Like 1

I had never even driven an automatic prior to taking delivery of my DSG last September, so was a little unsure what to expect, or even if I'd like it. A bit of a risk I must admit when ordering a £29k car!!!

However.... I abolutely love the car, the DSG is silky smooth, it tows our caravan like a dream, and certainly shifts when you drop it into sport mode and stick the right boot down!!

If I was to get a order a new car tomorrow, I would be heading straight to the Skoda dealers to order the DSG 2.0CR 4X4 170 that you can now get!!!