Skoda Superb: Europe Status

Watching the Tour de France over the weekend I noticed many Superb support cars, this got me to thinking:

What is the status of Skoda and in particular the Superb in mainland Europe?

In the Uk, however hard it battles, the brand still has a stigma associated with it from the old Eastern Block days.  In my experience only more knowledgable people are aware of the whole VAG thing and the unrecognizably improved Skoda Quality.

I suspect by it's association with cycling the brand is more highly thought of in Europe than in UK.

Interested to hear people's thoughts, particulaurly European.

(By 'European' here I am refering to mainland Europe; though the UK is still technically part of Europe we are still happy to refer to it as though we are not)

Italian Superb driver here! Superbs are a rarity in my town of 60,000 people, I've seen maybe two or three, of which one was a taxi. It's quite common to see Octavias, Yetis and Rapids, but as you go up the tree, brand snobbery sets in. You see any number of lower specced Audi A4s and BWW 3 series, and despite the Superb's obvious advantages, the drivers inevitably look down on it. I care not, and glide serenely along in my L&K! Driving in Germany and France, Superbs are much more common!

I saw a stat in Autocar last week that for every Mondeo sold in UK there were 4 BMW 3 series, 40,000 to 10,000. In the UK, basically 3 series, C class and A4 have been the mainstream saloons for a long time with the mondeos, passats etc now niche cars.

So brand snobbery is very prevalent today, but equally is appreciation of a good car. So not all sales are down to just the badge. I certainly appreciate the benefits of a BMW 5 series and E class over a Superb. A6 less so, but interior is still up a notch on a Superb.

On interior space and value for money and the Superb is still a very good buy though.

Cheers

Steve

Alot of what Steve says above is very true. Brand snobbery is a way of life for parts of mr & mrs 'asperational' uk. Most newly registered cars are business related with the emergency services and some none customer facing sections using Skodas because I guess they recognise the benefits. Unfortunatly where image is concerned skoda will struggle in the uk business world because its full of bu11sh1tters and egos but is short on automotive knowledge. Peoples perception of success is linked to the car they drive which is one of the reasons why BMW, Audi and Mercs are so common. If you link this to how drivers are typically allowed to choose their car within a certain budget it's easy to see why they choose one of these rather than a Skoda. I think the tax liabilities for the business user don't help either, though that may improve with the Octy III so on a like for like basis Skoda must sell a higher percentage of their cars to private buyers than their competitors?

Either way skoda have an uphill task in the uk with the business world, which is probably compounded for the Superb, even though customer surveys from which etc put it at the top of its class.

I saw a stat in Autocar last week that for every Mondeo sold in UK there were 4 BMW 3 series, 40,000 to 10,000. In the UK, basically 3 series, C class and A4 have been the mainstream saloons for a long time with the mondeos, passats etc now niche cars.

So brand snobbery is very prevalent today, but equally is appreciation of a good car. So not all sales are down to just the badge. I certainly appreciate the benefits of a BMW 5 series and E class over a Superb. A6 less so, but interior is still up a notch on a Superb.

On interior space and value for money and the Superb is still a very good buy though.

Cheers

Steve

Wrong

The Superb is more expensive second hand than a Passat is so is both more desired and less common, but the inside of it doesn't set anything alight, infact had Skoda made the B pillar back and inside as good looking as the front bumper to the B pillar the car would look fantastic, as it is right now it's a bit of a mongrel to look at, it's unbalanced to narrow for it's length and if I was designing the next one I'd shorten the car but about 3-4 inches as the rear legroom is overkill and murdering the side profile look of the car

People who buy German mostly do to satisfy themselves they are considerably richer than yow and you are supposed to be impressed by their overpriced car which ain't no better than the Ford anyway, otherwise BMW and Merc dealers wouldn't need mechanics would they,

You got the badge snobs right though, you'll never get rid of those idiots whatever you do,

For others reading, if the Superb was judged on function it's a 10/10 car, on looks it's no more than a 6 and if you want to see what it should really look like look at a Phaeton or an A8, something not quite as impressive as these two ladies are but balanced in shape like they are, so don't be thinking I'm a Skoda hater because I'm not, although Steve will no doubt be back in with one of his smart comments to make it look that way

It's all opinion but in my opinion, you're wrong.  The Superb is fine as it is.  And having owned an Orion, a Sierra, a Mondeo and an A4 prior to my Superb, I can honestly say the A4 was the best quality.  The Superb is a better car for my current needs and I'm very happy with it, but A4 was more refined.

• Like 1

An answer to BMW snobs from any older Briskodians like myself is to mention that in our youth we wouldn't want to be seen dead in a BMW when they made bubble cars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

Going back to the OP, on a trip through Europe last month, there were many ?kodas in Poland on our journey across the country, but there were fewer in Lithuania.  In Lithuania, they seem to favour the larger old BMWs, Audis and Mercedes imported from western Europe or Scandinavia.  Many are models that have almost disappeared in the UK and some look very ropey!

• Like 1

An answer to BMW snobs from any older Briskodians like myself is to mention that in our youth we wouldn't want to be seen dead in a BMW when they made bubble cars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

Going back to the OP, on a trip through Europe last month, there were many ?kodas in Poland on our journey across the country, but there were fewer in Lithuania.  In Lithuania, they seem to favour the larger old BMWs, Audis and Mercedes imported from western Europe or Scandinavia.  Many are models that have almost disappeared in the UK and some look very ropey!

Not imported - stolen!

It's all opinion but in my opinion, you're wrong.  The Superb is fine as it is.  And having owned an Orion, a Sierra, a Mondeo and an A4 prior to my Superb, I can honestly say the A4 was the best quality.  The Superb is a better car for my current needs and I'm very happy with it, but A4 was more refined.

A very good way to put it,

I made my comment because I've had many large motors from Granada's to Omega's and a big car must be in proportion, the Superb 1 was such a car and I loved mine, the Superb 2 however looks like it's not a large car but trying to be one and for 8/10 of it it is but it's width compromises it's look and what can be installed as an interior, Ford actually did this as well with the Granada 3 which was very similar to the Superb 2 or to put it another way they both have a massive back door with an afterthought small back wing, they need to widen the C pillar on the next Superb hence why I think shortening the rear middle by a few inches so the door line can still finish at the seat edge, there's no arguing that the Superb 2 isn't a fine functional car though, and as for quality sit yer bum in the Phaeton you'll never want anything else after that.

Blimey - any wider and I'd have been looking at replacing all of the metal on the whole passenger side, rather than just flipping my wing mirror back: after that Peugeot Partner tried to give my car a bear hug in France.  Where incidentally, I was the ONLY Superb combi on the road in 2000 miles!

Well, I had a Bubble Car...a `Trojan` and loved it!!!!

Wrong

The Superb is more expensive second hand than a Passat is so is both more desired and less common, but the inside of it doesn't set anything alight, infact had Skoda made the B pillar back and inside as good looking as the front bumper to the B pillar the car would look fantastic, as it is right now it's a bit of a mongrel to look at, it's unbalanced to narrow for it's length and if I was designing the next one I'd shorten the car but about 3-4 inches as the rear legroom is overkill and murdering the side profile look of the car

People who buy German mostly do to satisfy themselves they are considerably richer than yow and you are supposed to be impressed by their overpriced car which ain't no better than the Ford anyway, otherwise BMW and Merc dealers wouldn't need mechanics would they,

You got the badge snobs right though, you'll never get rid of those idiots whatever you do,

For others reading, if the Superb was judged on function it's a 10/10 car, on looks it's no more than a 6 and if you want to see what it should really look like look at a Phaeton or an A8, something not quite as impressive as these two ladies are but balanced in shape like they are, so don't be thinking I'm a Skoda hater because I'm not, although Steve will no doubt be back in with one of his smart comments to make it look that way

I disagree, I think there is nothing wrong with is side profile at all, it could certainly be wider by a couple inches and would then make it look like its bigger cousins Audi A8 and VW Phaeton and would improve the overall balance of the car.

I agree about the badge snobs, my manager used to drive a Superb until he gained promotion and then in came a A4 very quickly as a result. I'm 6' 4" and I can sit with comfort in any of the seats of my Superb and still leave stacks of room for my boys were are equally as tall. If I sit my managers car as front seat passenger, with the seat all the way back, my knees are pressed hard against the dashboard and then there is no room in the back for anyone other then a small child.

I know that when I give customers a lift in mine, they are complementary about the car in every respect and cannot believe the huge amount of space that passengers get to enjoy. I'm just about ready to order my L&K version in a couple of weeks time which will be my 4th Superb.

As to certain peoples comment about the back end looking clumsy with the twin boot arrangement, forget the badge and take a look at the A4, BMW 3, Mondeo  etc., their boots look no different to me, all having high profile, in line with the rest of the car and all are fairly stumpy boot lids. If this car sported a Audi, BMW, Mercedes or similar badge I bet that nobody would comment about it. :hi:

• Like 2

Sounds to me a bit like suits. You buy one from suits direct, does everything you need or want for good value for money. Some people insist on buying designer it's still a suit probably made in the same factory by the same people but it has a premium and therefore desirability - this does not always make it better. Others buy tailor made suits.

Damo

• Like 1

Interesting comments on this thread. I'd never heard of a Phaeton so Googled it and sure enough, VW Aust have it available. Don't think many have been sold. On the other hand, they have another nice car on the showroom floor called VW CC. VERY nice but a lot more expensive than a Superb. I'm happy with my Superb clunker and even now three years old, still a conversation starter in the town car parks! Often see VW cars in my rear view mirror when on the freeway!   :sun:

Phaeton is the nutz Bob, it's a 3.0TDi and V petrol engined motor, it makes a complete mockery of the exec market as it's better than an A8 and wipes that crud from Merc and BMW away like a fly,

Worth looking it up as it's hand built to Bentley standards in a glass factory in Wolfsberg Germany, if I'm honest it's probably my favorite car, sadly I can't afford to run one.

Mainly because BMW have been selling 3 series cars for how many decades?  The Mondeo and Passat badges are very young in comparison.

Phaeton is the nutz Bob,

Worth looking it up as it's hand built to Bentley standards in a glass factory in Wolfsberg Germany, if I'm honest it's probably my favorite car, sadly I can't afford to run one.

Point of detail.........I think it's made in Dresden, Germany

Mainly because BMW have been selling 3 series cars for how many decades?  The Mondeo and Passat badges are very young in comparison.

The figures were for just one year. Actually I got the ratio right, but numbers wrong. In the last year BMW sold just over 400,000 3 series and Ford made less than 100,000 Mondeos.

Another stat, last year 2.03m cars sold in UK, BMW, Mercedes and Audi accounted for 17% of sales, 342,000 cars

• Like 1

Phaeton is the nutz Bob, it's a 3.0TDi and V petrol engined motor, it makes a complete mockery of the exec market as it's better than an A8 and wipes that crud from Merc and BMW away like a fly,

Puts you in a small minority then. There's a reason why VW wiped off £8K off the list price of a Phaeton last year - nobody buys them.

Not driven the Phaeton, but the latest S Class, Jag XJ, 7 series are better than the A8. Again not driven one but expect the Panamera is too. Seeing as the A8 has better looks, is on a much newer significantly lighter and stiffer platform with a higher tuned version of the V6TDi, I struggle to see how he Phaeton is the better car.

As the Superb shows, even with badge snobbery, a good car sells. The Phaeton has been nothing but an automotive failure. Forgetting the cost it was slightly credible when it had the W12, now it's just a commercial disaster on a 11 year old platform.

Phaeton is a fail in sales terms but I'm judging the car on what it actually is and offers,

The pricing you can thank the euro brigade for, high tax and high fuel cost makes anything above 2L a bit of an economic disaster for the wallet, plus it lacks snob kudos but as I don't like that sort of person anyway I'd prefer to be seen in something that is understated anyway,

Tony Adams used to own one btw and I remember when I got the Superb 1 and some stupid tart got in and made a big fuss about being seen in a Skoda, she got told she was riding in a VW minus the badges but it didn't count in her eyes and she couldn't see the comfort or space it offered because she like a lot of people believe everything on Top Gear and will not be budged on her flawed opinion and prejudice,

The car itself came to be when one of VW's top people retired, it was a tribute to him and the car is basically a 50k Bentley with a large Passat look,

Myself I'm not into all this overclocking of a car, if it drives nice and is comfortable (which is what this car is about) then it gets my vote, the same could be said for an S80 tbh, some things although old don't date as fast as others, personally it's just one of those you should own in your lifetime cars.

Edited by Supurbia

• 3 weeks later...

Puts you in a small minority then. There's a reason why VW wiped off £8K off the list price of a Phaeton last year - nobody buys them.

Not driven the Phaeton, but the latest S Class, Jag XJ, 7 series are better than the A8. Again not driven one but expect the Panamera is too. Seeing as the A8 has better looks, is on a much newer significantly lighter and stiffer platform with a higher tuned version of the V6TDi, I struggle to see how he Phaeton is the better car.

As the Superb shows, even with badge snobbery, a good car sells. The Phaeton has been nothing but an automotive failure. Forgetting the cost it was slightly credible when it had the W12, now it's just a commercial disaster on a 11 year old platform.

Well given that JC on Top Gear did say that he preferred it to his Jag and that if he was looking for a large car, he would actually one, that in itself is extremely high praise for the Phaeton in deed given all the large cars that he gets to drive.

With regard to the 11 year old platform being a commercial disaster, I think you will find that if you peel away the skin, it you discover that is almost identical to the Bentley platform and nobody knocks that do they? In fact it is really like a Bentley in sheep's clothing and that is very good thing, its is less likely to get keyed etc. I don't hear anyone claiming the Bentley sits on an 11 year old platform!

If I could afford one, I'd buy it like a shot. It has failed only because, like the Skoda, the badge snobs turn their noses up at it because it does not have the same level of Kudos attached to it, it is still a very good and competent car. 

Edited by Graham Butcher

i am in the republic of ireland the now and compared to mainland uk there is alot of skoda's and allot less opel / vauxhall and ford, over here is seems to be Toyota's are the most common, but i have seen countless octavias really more common than focus and superbs too are quite common (even seen 4 superbs the exact same colour wheels spec as mine) and fabias + yetis are never too far away