RoadWarrior

• 4 weeks later...

Car seems to be falling apart again :sweat:

- Found some "mayonnaise" when I pulled out the dipstick yesterday. Then took off the oil cap to find LOADS stuck to it, so much so that a load dripped straight back into the engine before I had a chance to pull it away. Cleaned it up and topped up the oil... will need to monitor it and see how it goes. Dreading a head gasket failure.

- There's a horrible noise coming from the rear (exhaust area) when stationary. Slightly concerned, especially as it's a brand new Piper.

- The rust is starting to come back around the arches and sills.

Made the journey to and from Brands Hatch yesterday for the BTCC, but real edge of the seat stuff... just waiting for a loud beep and the dash to light up. Made it without incident, but it's a horrible feeling driving the car, spending every moment dreading if something is about to blow. This is probably the last "big" journey the car will make for the foreseeable and it certainly won't make the National Meet in June :(

Brands%20Octy_zpsyk54z4bl.jpg

One of these days I might be able to spend my money on tuning instead of repairs! :wall:

All this, all because you found a couple of patches of rust! Haha! Absolutely love it.

Good luck getting it shipshape again.

Another fan if the camo concept here.

Duct tape eyebrows..? Cheap, kinda fits, as evil as you want and with a new shape you could lose the bra... (Smooth talker that I am)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sunshine means car time...

S*** the bed, this is getting all too common...

P1070633_zps5pbyra0j.jpg

Stuck some head gasket sealant in the overflow tank and let the car run for a while. Time will tell :sweat:

I've decided to stick the OEM rear lights back in for a change. Not sure I like the leary red... will leave it for a while a see if it grows on me.

P1070635_zpsvmedxru5.jpg

P1070636_zpsqudfuf6w.jpg

P1070643_zpspp17oepq.jpg

Devil eye headlights back in - look much smarter.

P1070640_zpsoxcy8yyx.jpg

Vaccinations...

P1070637_zpsaisikliu.jpg

P1070638_zpsyidqvdo7.jpg

The rear spoiler is starting to come away (I never actually got round to fitting it properly) so the OEM spoiler might be making an appearance soon.

Currently saving as much cash as I can for some new bits, which is going ok.

All I can say is, THANK GOD WINTER IS OVER! :p

• Like 1

Id drop the oil before thinkin its its the gasket as I been informed they very rarely let go, mine milks up if I idle the car for a while but must say its not as bad as your pic. If it helps steal seal is the best stuff on the market, my old 328i had 5 cracks in its head and this stuff held up when k seal hd just made a mess! What breather system do you have if not standard?

• Like 2

Awesome thread,best read on the site,just read it all in one big chunk.Stunning looking car,totally Out There.

Thanks buddy - appreciated :thumbup:

Oil cap doesn't look too healthy

Not known for head gasket failures though are they....?

They're not, but the car has overheated 3 times since I've had it. I also get what I call "mini overheats" as well - if the engine is up to temperature on a hot day, it dumps the coolant on the floor when I park up  :(

Id drop the oil before thinkin its its the gasket as I been informed they very rarely let go, mine milks up if I idle the car for a while but must say its not as bad as your pic. If it helps steal seal is the best stuff on the market, my old 328i had 5 cracks in its head and this stuff held up when k seal hd just made a mess! What breather system do you have if not standard?

Thing is, the oil was changed in mid-January and since then I've only done ~300 miles... so it's fresh as can be. It's good stuff as well (Mobil 1 ESP). I don't do many big journeys, so would expect a bit of mayo... but that is a ridiculous amount!

Standard breather system - other than upgraded coilpacks and air intake, the engine is standard.

My late Wife would have loved your number plate Tactical... her name was "Ousey pronounced uzi" by previous marriage when I married her ... she always said that she was "short, fast and deadly" ... :)   folks where she worked (Quinton Hazell) could not pronounce her first name "Eirwen", so everyone called her "uzi" ... :)

nice custom job by the way ... takes me back to the 1970's when the custom van scene was big here in North Wales.

Alan.

• Like 2

Thats not sounding great but if ur not experiencing rough idle id bung a bottle in it of steal seal. Are you loosing water?

Well a week after sticking in a bottle of K-Seal I've not lost any water and...

P1070655_zpsggorgfal.jpg

...tiny bit of mayo, but seems to have resolved the issue. Fingers crossed :)

My late Wife would have loved your number plate Tactical... her name was "Ousey pronounced uzi" by previous marriage when I married her ... she always said that she was "short, fast and deadly" ... :)   folks where she worked (Quinton Hazell) could not pronounce her first name "Eirwen", so everyone called her "uzi" ... :)

nice custom job by the way ... takes me back to the 1970's when the custom van scene was big here in North Wales.

Alan.

Haha that's great - I've always loved my plate, but for some reason never noticed "uzi" before B)

Well it's off with the WRC spoiler for now as I'm worried it's going to fall off at speed! You can just about make out it coming away in the photo - when I get a chance I'll fit it properly.

P1070654_zpsaue2kafm.jpg

So off it came and the car went "Euro Spec" for a short while.

P1070656_zps859bav2q.jpg

And then came out the old spoiler... which is still satin black from the initial paint job. Looks out of place, but whatever.

P1070657_zpsqyqooqd3.jpg

P1070658_zpspwrcjmng.jpg

P1070659_zps38nlaax6.jpg

It's lost some of it's aggressiveness, but it's only for a short while until I get some time to do a proper job. Either that or I go down the BTCC spoiler route :ph34r:

• Like 1

Glad the k seal seems to be working mate, if these engine are as reliable as I hear they suppose to be hopefully ur issue was only a small leak and its sorted.

• Like 1

Right, after nearly 5 years of owning the car I'm starting to get annoyed that I *still* haven't got a set of new wheels, so I'm making this a priority now... and muscle car rims are well and truly on the menu:

cragar-series397-soft-blk-1_zpsciqa5cun.

I'm looking at the following setup: 235/55/17 17x8 - should give it a proper chunky look and it throws up these results:

Wheel%20Fitment_zpsqcvgr4bu.jpg

Hoping I can just about get away with it, but I think it's probably too extreme :sweat:

Major changes news: The Punisher is OUT. The camo look is also out (trying to spray the whole vehicle with the rivets in the way is too much of a pain).

So a re-theme is in order and I think this one is going to be even more fitting than the Punisher one.

I've just made an enquiry with a stencil company about having the following made up as an aerial roof marking:

Roof%20Markings%20MFP_zpsmup8o3ik.jpg

...and if it works out well (and is cost effective) then I'll be looking into more stencils...

MFP%20Rear%20Concept_zps1dtx6ivm.jpg

I'm also going to be looking at some more extreme / rat features to add to the bodywork. Personally I'd love to dump a V8 in there with a bugcatcher sticking out of the bonnet, but that's wishful thinking more than anything...

If I get the wheels right and a few other beefy mods, this might just work. With the new film coming out and a "new generation" of kids discovering Mad Max, I'm now 100% committed to this one.

Now I just need to find out where to get that siren B)

• Like 2

Right then... after spotting a full set of banded steelies (that would actually f****** fit) on eBay, they sold just before I could get to them :(

So I'm taking matters into my own hands and have bought a brand new set of standard 16 x 6.5 steelies with the intention of getting them banded to the following spec:

- Fronts: 16 x 7.5

- Rears: 16 x 8.5

Once that's done and I've made sure they're all painted up and ready, it'll be time to get some shoes, of which I'll be able to get some decent upgrades in terms of width...

Wheels%20NEW_zpseukefivc.jpg

...and so it's beginning it's journey to looking a little something like this:

Mad%20Max%20Octy%20Final_zpshugrv7px.jpg

Shopping list now looking like this:

Mechanical & Working parts:

- Steel wheel banded-conversion

- 4 x tyres

- RARB

Visuals:

- Rear diffuser (under car)

- Rear window louvres

- VW T4 wheel centres

- Bonnet scoop

- WRC spolier attachments

- Roof wing-spoiler

- Roof stencil (Aerial Roof Marking)

- MFP stencil

- Various paints, primers & lacquers

- ...chalk

So happy the good weather is finally back :sun:

• Like 4

Thanks guys B)

This just gets better and better am tempted to do something like this now but don't think it will look as good on an estate

Of course it would! You could make it into a Divisional Van or a Transporter... or if MM isn't your thing there are plenty of other themes out there.

MFP-lineup_zps5gorvuhw.jpg

Someone else did start a rat project but never finished it - they painted it green in the end and sold it on:

m1_zpsjrrrlpov.jpg

m2_zpskp6odaau.jpg

m3_zpsyhpenm8e.jpg

If it's done right, estates can look just as good, if not better ;)

• Like 1

After 4 and a half years... I finally have new wheels.

Bands_zpsfyfakqdh.jpg

Currently waiting for banding companies to get back to me... then as soon as one of them decides to take my money, I'll be shipping them off. Next stop after that... fat tyres :devil:

• Like 2