Day Light Running Lights

CitigoAllen

Hi, what type of daylight running lightes does the Citigo have (and where are they (any pictures please?)?  Also as I object to these (as they serve no useful function and increase fuel comsumption and environmental damage) can they be disconnected without knocking out the normal side lights, head lights etc?

You want to remove them!?!

I'm just upgrading my bulbs, they're rubbish what's standard.

Anything what improves visibility to other drivers has got to be beneficial surely?

And fuel consumption increase? Not having that! Wont make any noticeable difference IMO

They are on for a reason, and not sure whether its a legal requirement on modern cars, better check first

Cheers

Damo

• Like 3

DLR (day light running lights) must not be removed as any new car has to have them. Your car doesnt use any more power than it needs to and the same bulb is also used as the sidelight bulb.

If your worried about consumption, there is no difference. I like the lights on mine and with white bulbs they look much better. Plus I never see them and the only time I know they on is when I turn my car on adn see my reflection against another car

No matter how small, every extra electrical item you have running will increase the engines load.  I do not believe that in daylight these lights make any difference to safety whatsoever.  In this case two x 5W is an extra 10W which in reality due to losss in conversion from petrol to kinetic energy to electrical energy will mean something like 15W worth of extra work for the engine.  In any case it is not so much the small cost to me driving one car, but the impact of millions of cars with these will needlessly have on the environment that I object to.

........I do not believe that in daylight these lights make any difference to safety whatsoever. 

As forthright as your opinion may be, motor manufacturers don't fit them for laughs and they wouldn't be mandatory in other countries if your statement was true.

...... but the impact of millions of cars with these will needlessly have on the environment that I object to.

You seem very passionate about enviromental issues (genuine credit due), so when DRLs become a legal requirement in the UK (and they probably will sooner rather than later), what will you do then? Also, you are probably using more planet damaging energy watching TV and using a computer to type your replies on this forum than DRLs on your car will use.

As an aside, my daughter's hair straighteners use an inordinate amount of power, and for what, pure vanity! Now that's a genuine waste of energy and unforunately cancels out your, and many others efforts to save the planet. Sorry.

• Like 2

Based on my own eyes.  I have no trouble seeing cars in daylight.  I also assume that no one who has eyesight up to holding a license will have any trouble either.  Just because some euro official decides car manufactuers need to fit these, does not mean they are needed.  Yes I am passionate about the environment.  It is the reason I have bought the greentech Citigo rather than a bigger thirstier car.  Diesels unfortunately are not suitable for my type of driving, so this is just about as enconomical a car as I can get that will serve my purposes.  Therefore the last thing I need are extra wasteful lights.  If the law chnages I will put the fuse back in.

Edited by CitigoAli

Whilst I too applaud your commitment to conserving energy, I seriously don't think turning off the DRL's will do that much to help the environment.

I know what your going to say, if millions of other cars do it it will etc. But we ought to be thinking of better ways to save energy than disabling a valid proven safety measure.

I know we should all be able to see other road users in daylight, but there is always early mornings and dusk, where it's borderline whether headlights should be on or off. Surely DRL's at least give some extra visibility in these times.

Just my opinion of course

Cheers

Damo

When the sun is behind me and low on the horizon at dawn/dusk, I always turn my headlights on so that my headlights are visible in my silhouette when I overtake. Sometimes the sun obscures everything and it's almost impossible to make out any vehicle - the headlights would help others to see me. I *think* DRLs would suffice, but I'm not 100% sure if 21 watts per lamp would be bright enough.

I'm also not sure if DRLs need to be working for an MOT - I recall something about *all* fitted lamps needing to be working. I'm not sure if this would apply if the lamps were actually removed, therefore not "fitted"... I would need to consult an MOT tester familiar with the latest regs.

Based on my own eyes.  I have no trouble seeing cars in daylight.  I also assume that no one who has eyesight up to holding a license will have any trouble either.  Just because some euro official decides car manufactuers need to fit these, does not mean they are needed.

Whilst I applaud your perfect vision, I don't think it was "some euro official" who decided this, but probably a broad agreement between many countries worldwide (Canada has had DRLs since 1990) and car manufacturers following several years of statistical studies.

My personal opinion is that DRLs probably have more of an effect in a motorist's peripheral vision, and can enhance perception of the presence of a vehicle by your brain - particularly during times when visual information is being taken in very quickly during overtaking decisions for example. I would imagine it is for a similar reason that motorcycles have to run daytime lights, and I know from personal experience that a bike's lights has helped me to notice a bike I would otherwise have not seen until it was in a more dangerous closer position.

You may claim to have extremely good vision and can see cars in daylight. That did not apply to the car driver that pulled across me and tried to kill me a while ago causing a major accident.

And yes they got out and said " sorry I did not see you"

I was actually on a motorcycle, had lights on and a dayglow top but still they failed to see me.

So making all road going vehicles with automatic drl's gets a thumbs up from me and stuff the negligible fuel consumption; if it saves a life or avoids horrific injuries plus a massive insurance/emergency service and NHS bill then go for it.

I hope you are never involved in an accident where you first comment to the police officer is but I did not see him!

Get your rant off your chest and put it into perspective.

Oh and the DRLs on the citigo are also your side lights!

• Like 2

CitigoAli,

Do you deliberately court controversy? Are you a wind up merchant?

This is the second time Ive noticed recently in your relatively small post count, that you make a statement that gets people riled (The other when you came across as slating the Sport model)

I appreciate that we all have an opinion and the right to express them, but I can't help but think you say something and then sit back laughing whilst we respond to your posts.

Fair do's if you really believe what your saying, but come on... disabling a safety feature for the reasons your saying is surely not a good idea

Again, just my opinion

Cheers

Damo

• Like 2

Hi, what type of daylight running lightes does the Citigo have (and where are they (any pictures please?)?

Pics of a Citigo with its DRL's on

Citigo1_zpsdc7a00f1.jpg

Cheers

Damo

Listen I asked a question and got the answer I needed. I did not particularly want a long drawn out discussion. I don't think they are needed and have a negative environmental impact. Some of you feel differently, no biggy. All I would say is that rather than trying to force the issue it could be left up to people to decide to turn on their side lights if they feel the need.

No matter how small, every extra electrical item you have running will increase the engines load.  I do not believe that in daylight these lights make any difference to safety whatsoever.  In this case two x 5W is an extra 10W which in reality due to losss in conversion from petrol to kinetic energy to electrical energy will mean something like 15W worth of extra work for the engine.  In any case it is not so much the small cost to me driving one car, but the impact of millions of cars with these will needlessly have on the environment that I object to.

if you're that fussed you could always get a bike with a dynamo and power the lights yourself :think:

• Like 1

Listen I asked a question and got the answer I needed. I did not particularly want a long drawn out discussion. I don't think they are needed and have a negative environmental impact. Some of you feel differently, no biggy. All I would say is that rather than trying to force the issue it could be left up to people to decide to turn on their side lights if they feel the need.

In some European countries the choice has been taken away. No doubt Britain and NI will follow suit eventually.

DRL's, as has been said, are not mandatory in the UK yet, I have been looking at the Aygo as well as the Citigo and on the lower models of that the DRL's are still an optional extra.

Back to the point, the Citigo DRL's are a twin filament bulb with a 21w DRL and a 5w sidelight. Pull the DRL fuse and they will still function as sidelights... Or for power saving with DRL's you can fit some LED's, they're a T20 fitment  ;)

Edited by Stonesie

Come onto an open public forum and state that DRLs serve "no useful" purpose and have an environmental impact..blah blah blah.

Expect lots of replies :)

Just like you, we all have different opinions and varying answers to offer.

If you had asked:

What lamps are in the citigo drls, can the DRLs be deactivated as an option and do you have any pictures of them?

IMO you would have been given straight answers.

Enjoy your new citigo they are a fantastic little car.

Regards