Conversion from 1.4 MPI to 1.9TDI ?

Hi,

I need your help. I have a 1.4 MPI engine in my Fabia, but it died in cloud of smoke so I want to put a 1.9TDI engine in it. What conversions do I have to do, what is the list of parts to buy ? Does a TDI from Golf 4 fit, if yes what can I use from Golf to fit in Fabia ?

Because I invested a lot of money on viusal tuning, selling mine and buying a TDI Fabia is not a option.

Please help, I need my car on road because it is only car in family, and I need it working as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Basically, you need a crashed Furbie TDi then. Approximately speaking you need the entire fuel system, exhaust system, brake system except pedal, engine and gearbox, front suspension, driveshafts, EMS, instrument cluster...

You may also need the rear suspension and heater, if you can find a TDi with the same ventilation system as you've already got.

Seen this a million times someone spends a shed load of money on a bog standard car trying to make it look like something its not. (guilty of this myself many moons ago.) Only to think I know ill stick a bigger engine in it thinking "how hard can I be?" I know your engines blown so can be forgiven for entertaining the idea but trust me pal just go out and buy a better car.  Aside from the welding, wiring & transmission problems you will have you need to think brakes, suspension and insurance!  If your thinking of neglecting these and just whacking the engine in do so at your peril. Just trying to be helpful it will cost you a lot less in the long run. Forget the stick on cosmetic tat you have added and chalk it up to experience.

• Like 2

Scribbler, I tought if I like mine post it will give me option to follow the topic, so I don't have to search it every time I visit the forum.

I am from Bosnia, so insurance is not the problem, but the parts are. Parts in UK are a lot cheaper than in Bosnia, and I did change a lot in the car. If I sell it I would lose more than 7 000€ at the start...and here 7 000€ is a LOOOT when average pay is less than 450€ :(

Do you understand now why I am running away from solution of selling this and buying a bog standard TDI Fabia ?

Surely you could either just get another 1.4mpi and put that in, or buy a Fabia TDI and transfer all your mods over to the new Fabia......even that's gotta be easier and quicker than the total headache of trying to put a TDI engine in your old car. 

• Like 1

bits needed (not a comprehensive list)

Engine

ECU

Wiring

Gearbox

Driveshafts

Engine mounts

Brakes

Suspension

Brake Master cylinder

Battery

Intercooler

Radiator (possibly)

Lots of hoses

Lots of other bits n bobs

HTH

Oh yeah, instument panel that displays glow plugs, and a friend who can recode all the junk.

Quite a list....and that's probably just the start of it.

If you really want to go down the 'putting a totally different engine in' route you might as well consider a 1.8T or a VR6. It'd be no more work than a TDI. Then you'd really have something to write home about.  

Scribbler, I tought if I like mine post it will give me option to follow the topic, so I don't have to search it every time I visit the forum.

I am from Bosnia, so insurance is not the problem, but the parts are. Parts in UK are a lot cheaper than in Bosnia, and I did change a lot in the car. If I sell it I would lose more than 7 000€ at the start...and here 7 000€ is a LOOOT when average pay is less than 450€ :(

Do you understand now why I am running away from solution of selling this and buying a bog standard TDI Fabia ?

No sorry mate, I know the feeling. Once you have gone so far down a tunnel it seams closer to get to the end rather than go back to the beginning and choose a different tunnel but usually you get to the end an the tunnel is blocked and you have to choose a different tunnel anyway. Trust me its better to quit now and start with a better base. Hope the analogy makes sense given the language barrier (Your English Is very good by the way).

Back in the day (15 years+ ago) one of my first cars was a MK1 Clio 1.4rt. I uprated the brakes, suspension had a shed load of breathing mods from hill power had a full stainless system including manifold and sports cat It had an electronic push button start with credit card ignition system(years before its time). It had widened arches and Williams/ 16v bonnet vent. To much styling and audio mods to list. Basically I enjoyed messing about with the car and was toying with the idea of transplanting a more powerful engine. Maximum I could get on the rollers with original engine was 90bhp. that's 15+ over original. I looked at twin hyabusa engines in the rear suspended from a space frame, one to drive each rear wheel too expensive too complicated with sequential gear box. So I looked at Renault 5 turbo engine then Volvo 1.7 Turbo engine and even the 2.0 megane coupe / Williams engine technically the same block. Finally a friend gave me some great advice which im trying to pass on to you and that was cut my losses and save up and buy a proper Williams which I did, I also bought two 16v's and two cliosport 172's and the money I saved I did track days some of the best fun I ever had with my clothes on. Its always cheaper to buy a good car than try and make one unless your a mechanic / auto electrician. Good luck which ever path you choose.

• 2 years later...

bits needed (not a comprehensive list)

Engine

ECU

Wiring

Gearbox

Driveshafts

Engine mounts

Brakes

Suspension

Brake Master cylinder

Battery

Intercooler

Radiator (possibly)

Lots of hoses

Lots of other bits n bobs

HTH

Oh yeah, instument panel that displays glow plugs, and a friend who can recode all the junk.

How's it going Lee? I was looking through the above thread and you seem to have a good knowledge of the subject. I was curious to know if you knew, would there be much work involved in putting a fabia 1.9tdivrs engine into a fabia estate?

How's it going Lee? I was looking through the above thread and you seem to have a good knowledge of the subject. I was curious to know if you knew, would there be much work involved in putting a fabia 1.9tdivrs engine into a fabia estate?

thread revival :D

No. None at all if you get an estate with a 1.9 TDi in it already.

thread revival :D

No. None at all if you get an estate with a 1.9 TDi in it already.

Nothing like it a bit of thread revival [emoji5]

That's good news [emoji2] it's a straight forward swap with engine, Gearbox, clutch, exhaust system and brakes? Nothing will need adjusting or extra mounts? Anything I should do while transferring the engine over? Was thinking of new hoses and boost pipe etc..