Is under bonnet insulation equipped as standard?

Seems like the under bonnet insulation may be standard on Diesels, but not on Petrol's.

Perhaps a couple more response from existing owners might confirm this as fact.

pretty sure it was the same on the mkii's. my diesel vrs has the insulation by the way

I might order this item shortly so it's there with the car on arrival.

I found that when I had this insulation mat fitted to a MkII Octavia that the engine warmed up more quickly which is better for the engine and economy and as a side benefit the screen demisted far more quickly too.

Bonnet insulation was fitted standard on my MkIII Diesel, I would agree with post #12 that insulation not as necessary on petrol due to higher running temps and quieter in use.

I bought and fitted it to my MK2 Elegance 1.4TSi - my opinion only, but in this car it made no difference to noise reduction and none to the time taken to warm up. Consequently I won't be bothering to buy the insulation on my pending Mk3 Elegance 1.4TSi (expected first week of October).

Bouff34

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I ordered the insulator pad for my vRS and it came with all the clips, so no need to order any extra.

It does muffle the engine noise slightly and the engine definitely warms up quicker than without it.

didnt have it on my previous 2 petrol vrs'

my mk7 golf gti has it though..so I dont think its anything to do with operating temp..unless the different shaped engines bays have a bearing on it?

It's purely sound deadening, hence them putting it only on the TDi's.  But with VW being more "upmarket" them they're going to put it on the petrol's too to keep them quieter....

Surely on the TSI it's better not to have the insulation as others have mentioned, being a turbo petrol I thought they liked to feel the cold?

You only need the intake air to be as cool as possible. Especially helpful for turbocharged engines. Other than that an engine should be as insulated as possible to increase its thermal efficiency. This would come with the added benefit of making it quieter.

• Like 2

The quicker the engine gets up to a nice warm temperature the better it is for the economy & for things such as heating & demisting.

Having the insulation pad under the bonnet not only makes the engine quieter, but it warms up quicker too, so my economy should be a tad better, it also makes the bonnet area look much nicer & more finished, that without it.

Personally I think it's just penny pinching by SUK not having it as standard.

I ordered the insulator pad for my vRS and it came with all the clips, so no need to order any extra.

It does muffle the engine noise slightly and the engine definitely warms up quicker than without it.

I'm interested in fitting the insulator pad to my VRS TSI. What was the price?