Richard's GT-R thread, old and new!

BossFox

next you will be tuning the leafs... :angel:

Out of interest the only people that can do that is NISMO and you have to take them the car.

I did try, but they said they must physically have the car as it's not just an ECU tweak.

Their fitting and tuning centre is in Japan. :(

• Like 1

After my concern about getting 103db against a limit of 105db at Brands Hatch I decided to go for a quieter exhaust.

Ron at RK Tuning got me in a HKS Slient System after I suggested it, due to seeing the noise levels Sam in the GTROC was getting.
With a quieter decat pipe I'm now getting 93db at 5,500rpm which is exactly what I was after.  Car still sounds good too.
So effectively I can go to any track day in the UK now and not worry.

Only issue is, it's taking a bit of getting used to having such a large trumpet pointing out of the back.

Maybe it's just me, but with the previous system it looked a lot more in keeping with the stock looks I like...

I am wondering if it's possible to tweak the system a bit for a tailpipe with a slightly lower diameter without effecting it's effectiveness.
Not sure it has to be quite that big...

Old.
khj0.jpg

New.
2d0v.jpg

• Like 3

How can that be quieter than the old one?

The "family" photo looks brilliant

I know it's odd isn't it.

I've gone down from 103 to 93 yet have a far larger trumpet!

You'd think it would be the other way round.

Apparently the HKS exhausts tend to have a tail pipe like that. :wonder:

I might get a new one fabricated and see if it effects the car... but it'll have to wait a bit as I've got the Sprint at Combe on Saturday and am back at Brands on Monday week.

A few pics of the deeper red colour when the sun is down, brothers in arms. :)bhbp.jpg3y6f.jpg

Cracking couple of pics there Richard, good contrast of "old beast to new beast"

Much prefer the new HKS exhaust over the old one too.

:-)

My mate has just bought a nice grey r32 gtr...al need to try an blag a shot in it :D

I think something like the nismo(or standered?) Back box from the r34 would suit the car alot better. Looks too standerd and clean for a big dirty jap can(as much as i love them)

Edit, defo the nismo i was thinking off

2014-03-27_23-23-50_zps8685283d.png

Actually I don't think hat exhaust looks too bad -you've photographed it from a low angle that will draw more attention to it, but as there is less chrome on show than the original it won't draw too much attention. The only thing I can see is that it looks like it's going to rattle against the bumper as it's running very close.

I quite like the new exhaust, I think it suits the bumper quite nicely but the old one does look more OEM. I bet it sounds nice, is it a deeper sound? 

Could you not retrofit the old backbox with the new mid pipe? Surely it's the decat pipe that makes it quieter and not the back box?

Looks good :)

Do you see many R34's? I really like them but never see many about.

I hardly ever see any other Skyline on the road.

Even at the sprint there were two R32s and the other 5 GTR cars were all R35s.