Richard's GT-R thread, old and new!

BossFox

If you had intended to tweak your Yeti, but only for the road, would you have made all the changes that make it a great track-day car?

I guess that I'd not worry so much about weight, & I'd like to keep the existing seats & trim as they are useful items, ..........but what about all he engine & suspension mods?

DC

It's still a road car and I can swap the seats over anytime.

All the other mods work fine on the road.

So yes, I would. :)

I can understand this one a bit more than the other GT-R sales Richard, with your current garage. Especially now you have that lovely R32 :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looks like I need the wing sprayed on the R32 and a new indicator.

Was overtaking a pickup today (twin rear wheel) and it spat a lump of concrete out.

It's broken the indicator and grazed about eight inches of the wing.

Rather annoying.

Particularly as I didn't get round to putting a drive recorder in it yet!

Fingers crossed the R35 goes, didn't take long to find a buyer.

Did wonder how long you would keep it for after our Chat at Combe.

It's gone!

Drove the seven(?) wekk old R35 to work, then the Nissan garage where it'll be put on sale to the public.

Got a lift home and went back to work in my Fantasy Green Fabia.

Bit of a come down. :rofl:

Think I did the right thing getting shot of it before the dealers start selling off thiers at three months old.

Not that many MY14 cars on the market.

• Like 3

Have you lost much money on the r35 in the 7 weeks you've owned it? And the question was.... Was it actually worth it?

Enough, but not too much. ;)

Was it worth it?

Well, I got to live with the new model for nearly two months and drive it like a loony at Castle Combe.  So I think so.

Feeling like I've scratched the "new" GT-R itch now.

Will see what the future holds.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A video from Autocar I thought I'd pop up as the GT-R in question is exactly the same as the one I just got shot of. :)

In other news I was on the A13 the other day in the R32 and a bit of concrete the size of a golf ball fell off the back of a pickup I was overtaking.

End result was a damaged indicator and scraped wing.

Wasn't happy.  Especially as I've not got round to fitting a drive recorder in that as I don't use it much.

So it's in getting a bit of paintwork.

Glad it wasn't the new one as it would have been a whole new headlight. (£1,200+)

• Like 1

would you prefer the GT-R or the Jag though Boss? granted, I have driven neither, BUT I would prefer the Jag ;)

Depends what you want.

Jag is more of an occasion to drive and the GT-R is the performance weapon.

As they are both automatic I wouldn't have either.

As much as performance cars are starting to need the auto/DSG to get the headline figures rather than rely on the meat sack in the driver seat which is slower, I've been there and done that.

Now I'm happy going a bit slower and being more involved. I still find the balancing act of driving a manual quickly with heel and toe etc... Personally satisfying.

There actually isn't anything I want right now.

I'm happy with what I have.

Hence for the first time in years I'm not even looking.

Also £85,000 for a Jag worries me.

They are Jaguar/Land Rover vehicles and my experience of those means several warranty trips to the dealers.

I know two people that have tried an F Type.

One had teething issues, one had the car in the garage half the time and Jaguar gave him his money back...

I'm sure they will sort that out, they score VERY well in JD power ect now....

your input would be one of the reasons I would choose the Jag, going along with the testers notes in the vid.... the GT-R just seems SO fast it would be unusable on the road, and even on the track a bit too easy ...... at least he had to fight the RWD Jag a bit ;)

The Gt-R isn't easy on the track Dave, you just have to push it beyond your comfort zone.

A lot of the press do say it's too easy, and yet EVO mag (which have some highly skilled staff) have never agreed.

Anyone can drive it at 90% and overtake practically everything else, while thinking they are doing really well.

It's getting that last 10% out of it that takes a bit of commitment.

If you watch my vids from Combe you might notice I was having to do a fair amount of corrective steering. :D

And I was still around a second or two per lap slower that a very good driver I know that can get round Combe in a stock one well.

I suspect that the Jag needs skill before you get to 90%.  So being more of a handfull requires less speed before things get interesting.

This is where the GT-R suffers, it's just a bit too capable for the road.

Amazing to think though that the GT-R is now six years old (first year 2008 was USA and Japan only) and yet with minor tweaks it's still holding it's own against newcomers, for less money.

The RWD bit is one of the reasons I like the R32.  It feels RWD and only brings the front in as you start going sideways... :D

• Like 2

Did you get the intercooler sorted for the r32? Or is it still waiting to go on?

Yes, I got it sorted Charlie,

The guy doing the work heard of a 900bhp Skyline being broken for parts and grabbed the intercooler for me.

I think it was £300.

Sweet, that will help you to turn the power up a bit :)

The original idea was 550bhp, but it seems to have peaked at 480bhp.

Turbos I think.

Not sure it's worth upgrading as it drives really nicely now.

Bigger turbos means a bit more lag and a narrower powerband.

It's already got a pair of uprated camshafts to up the torque a bit.

It's for fun, not time attack. :D

• Like 2