Richard's GT-R thread, old and new!

BossFox

Given how quickly it can pass what the general public would consider "fast" cars; does the speed of the GT-R make everything else pretty much redundant in your eyes? 

Surely a mere 130bhp Fabia vRS can't even entertain you for a minute when you're accustomed to this level of performance?

Given how quickly it can pass what the general public would consider "fast" cars; does the speed of the GT-R make everything else pretty much redundant in your eyes? 

Surely a mere 130bhp Fabia vRS can't even entertain you for a minute when you're accustomed to this level of performance?

As I have been passenger in the Yellow Peril and his current GT-R and I must says after sitting passenger in them it makes my Citigo feels incredibly slow and pedestrian bearing in mind i have about 1/8th the power of the GT-R's. 

IMO it does warp your sense of speed and a cars performance. 

1.5 hours (and several likes) later...

Ok, I can't buy real cars like this, but maybe that's just as well since I've now got a notion to build my present R35 model kit in Porsche Salzburg colours (white with red rings round the headlights and 3 tapered stripes running back donw the body from there).

That does make sense, thanks for answering my question. To a much lesser extent I sometimes find I am having more fun piloting my 54bhp Felicia along a twisty road than I was in my 200bhp Octavia because you are having to work so hard to maintain momentum. 

Would you have more fun driving with a group of GT-Rs then because there would be more rivalry? 

That does make sense, thanks for answering my question. To a much lesser extent I sometimes find I am having more fun piloting my 54bhp Felicia along a twisty road than I was in my 200bhp Octavia because you are having to work so hard to maintain momentum. 

Would you have more fun driving with a group of GT-Rs then because there would be more rivalry? 

Makes sense, there is a lot of fun and satisfaction in working a lower powered car harder to extract the performance and trying to maintain momentum.

I wouldn't say there is a lot of rivalry with GT-R track days.

It can be fun to tail another R35 and try to keep up and get some good camera footage.

The social side is nice, as it is at Briskida ones.

It's more like a socail/fun day and few take it very seriously because they've been doing it for years.

The amount of tuning that goes on gets quite involved, so few cars are equal due to 550-1200bhp power outputs, tyres, brakes, suspension etc...

When I did the Sprint series we had five R35s there.

One was making around 620bhp, three were between 700 and 750 and one was around 900.

So with such different cars you have a good idea which ones are going to be rather quicker than the others.

It's a case of "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

There are some very good drivers too, some of whom are involved in motorsport or actively competing.

So generally the GT-R crowd are pretty relaxed and treat it like a hobby.

The main difference when they are about is that you tend to get overtaken occasionally, rather than hardly ever. :D

• Like 3

Sitting in the R35 in South London, waiting for a Bride who needs to get to church on time.

I hope her dress isn't too big! :D

• Like 3

You are going so quickly that you do have to be very alert and focused on what is going on because missing a braking point could potentially be rather expensive.

What I find is that just because it's 50% faster doesn't make it 50% more fun.

I drove a 2011 GTR at a track day a few years ago.

It was in between driving a Lambo Gallardo and a TVR 350.

I have to say it's the best car I have ever driven, by a country mile.

However, your comment above is so true...........it was so ferociously fast (for me), that I never once had time to even look down and see how fast I was going, cos the next corner was on us before I had the chance and I was being instructed to brake/change down, etc, etc.

They are epic cars and, of course, the latest ones are faster still.

If I had a spare £70k or so (LOL), I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

H

• 3 weeks later...

You are going through the GTRs as fast as these cars are  :blush:

But now your Yeti (and the little fishmouth) ist doing its thing, it seems that you are much more relaxed and happy. (wonder how long this will take  :giggle:  )

The Yeti VRS is actually more fun.

Because it's good for scaring people who really don't expect it.

Nobody wants to play with a GT-R. :(

• Like 4

The Yeti VRS is actually more fun.

Because it's good for scaring people who really don't expect it.

Nobody wants to play with a GT-R. :(

If you had intended to tweak your Yeti, but only for the road, would you have made all the changes that make it a great track-day car?

I guess that I'd not worry so much about weight, & I'd like to keep the existing seats & trim as they are useful items, ..........but what about all he engine & suspension mods?   

DC