Free Map Updates for Columbus and Amundsen.

Perhaps someone who has bought a Mk3 Octavia with factory nav can answer if they received a map SD card or map disk with their car

I'm thinking that the dealer / skoda are not providing map disks with the cars so automatically do an update when the car is in for servicing

this would be cheaper and would also limit the chances of copied or sharing of maps too

• 2 weeks later...

Love to know what the answer is

I'm currently awaiting a call from SUK.

Yeti SE plus with Amundsen +.....no card supplied....yet the manual says it should be

The plus version does not come with a card as it has internal RAM for the map the normal version has the data a removable SD card.

The Blackline updates for the Amunsden plus are way overdue but even SUK so far has not been able to provide an update.

Still with SUK for an answer. 

Mega bucks to pay for an update says the dealer

My argument is that the manual says I should have a card...and I don't...so give me one

we will see.............a saga I guess

I've just called Skoda UK after yet another less than impressive visit to my local dealers for it's first service. 

My local dealer have dismissed the update as "you need to download it onto an SD card". I did try telling them that it was not quite that easy and they were unable/unwilling to tell me where I can obtain this magical "update" from in order to put it onto an SD card in order to update my maps to that of other Blackline users.

The advisor from Skoda UK was about to go off duty but has promised that she will make contact with their parts department and call me back tomorrow with an update on this.

Here's the response from my local dealer who has checked with SUK:

This is the latest email I have had back from head office today in reference to the Columbus Upgrade – unfortunately the upgrade is only for cars less than 3 years old and the wording was incorrect on the website.

This backs up what others have discovered and what we all thought.

Does seem a little divisive / unfair for owners of older Columbus units though.

Interesting statement. I have posted on the ICE forum but this thread seems a better place.

Bought my RNS510 (factory installed ) 18 months ago. The above statement seems to indicate that these Columbus units can get free updates? If so, I guess the firmware will also need to be upgraded to the latest version as well.

Car is going in for a service next week and I got a strange reply when asking about the map updates where they said via the SD card..... then rather vague.

It would be nice if Skoda published a compatibility list showing SatNav models, hardware rev, software rev and what the update/upgrade options are.

The website states 'ŠKODA MIB Amundsen or MIB Columbus navigation system'. Only the MIB units can be updated free for 3 years. This is because of the deal nVidia have done with NavTeq to supply maps to all the car manufacturers that use MIB based systems.

• Like 1

Current Amundsen maps are V4 and the current Columbus maps are V9. As far as I know the Amundsen update comes on a disc that you then use to update the SD card. The columbus update comes on a disc the copies to the HD inside the unit. Some dealers update maps for free some don't. It really comes down to the individual dealer.

Perhaps someone who has bought a Mk3 Octavia with factory nav can answer if they received a map SD card or map disk with their car

I'm thinking that the dealer / skoda are not providing map disks with the cars so automatically do an update when the car is in for servicing

this would be cheaper and would also limit the chances of copied or sharing of maps too

The Amundsen on the Mk3 does come with a map SD card.

My yeti had no card. I asked the dealer and they said they were no longer supplied. I'm now in contact with SUK and await their response

'Victory is certain, the timing less so'

• 11 months later...

I bought my Yeti a year ago. Amudsen+. Took it for its first service to the supplying dealer on Tuesday. They didn't know about updates for this version but at present are chasing it up for me.  (Skoda UK referred me back to the Dealer).

The Amudsen+ I bought was a Factory Fitted Option.  I also have a 3 year service plan.  So I will be very p...... if either NO updates are available, or they try to charge me a small fortune for an update on an annual basis.

Saying that everything else has been spot on with the Car and the Dealership.

So what's the latest bulletin from Skoda/Dealerships regarding satnav updates? My Scout is now 3 years old and so, also, is the database of road systems. Surely there is an update progamme ongoing, otherwise its pointless buying it a s a factory fitted option?

I contacted Bickertons in Sheffield some months back and nothing doing then.

For the Octavia MK2 and Yeti the only official route is that you buy the updates from Skoda /VW or Seat, only the MK3 Octavia gets free updates to the new generation Columbus and Amundsen which shares nothing but name with the previous version. The discs and SD cards are not compatible between the versions at all.

For the Octavia MK2 and Yeti the only official route is that you buy the updates from Skoda /VW or Seat, only the MK3 Octavia gets free updates to the new generation Columbus and Amundsen which shares nothing but name with the previous version. The discs and SD cards are not compatible between the versions at all.

Thank you Mannyo, but is there an update available do you know?

If you don't get to the 'secret' menu, then look at the 'Radio' menu (the last one you'll get to before the 'secret' menu) to see it you have a 'Version info' soft button below the FM and AM soft buttons.

It's in there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...