Driving at night - Dipped beam - Horrific!

i don't recall out vrs having a bad dip beam, and the main driver just says it could be better. i think we will try some Osram bulbs.

people should be aware that HID kits are not legal unless the car is fitted with headlamp levellers, washers and i think have 'E' marked bulbs. i also believe the mot test will be or is checking bulb for legality.

type aproval is proof that the type of car meets the legislation, it could be said that the cars submitted for type aproval represent the best that can be achieved, not what will come out of the factory. the factory is only responsible for putting the component parts together, whilst safety critical items can be proven to be correct, lights as i recal, are only tested to see they turn on. i don't recall ever seeing lights being set, though i have worked on systems to set them. in truth, setting them in the factory would be a bit hit and miss, the suspension wouldn't have settled, there would be next to no fuel in the tank and the tyres would probably be over inflated.

as for safety, high dip beams are far more dangerous than low, being blinded at speed is a seriously scary - been there done that, better to have the lights low and force drivers to slow down. the best option to correct the situation would be for skoda uk to instruct the dealers to set lights as part of the pdi, this may happen if enough people complain. chances of getting a change in the factory - zero -  cost would be huge  .

thanks for the warm welcome folks and sorry if i'm boring you.

i was incorrect with the mot checking bulbs - would be difficult wthout taking the backs off, which of course wouldn't be allowed.

i would be interested to see where the legality is confirmed though, all i have seen is stuff refering to the 2010 dft document with ammendments about not failing mot's (as opposed to being legal),

HID kits are not illegal. MOT states that "where present headlight levellers and washers must be working' the loop hole being 'where present'

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Passing an MOT doesn't necessarily mean it is legal to fit.

This explains the issue in depth:

http://hid.moonfruit.com/goverment/4529652030

thanks for the warm welcome folks and sorry if i'm boring you.

i was incorrect with the mot checking bulbs - would be difficult wthout taking the backs off, which of course wouldn't be allowed.

i would be interested to see where the legality is confirmed though, all i have seen is stuff refering to the 2010 dft document with ammendments about not failing mot's (as opposed to being legal),

It all boils down to interpretation, some say legal, some say not, and nearly every headlight thread on here turns into an argument on the subject

Some argue interpretation doesn't come into it and that it is black and white, others argue not

Ultimately it would be for the courts to decide. The UK governments (ie DfT) view is that it is not legal - unless specific conditions are met as outlined in the article.

Personally I'm not too fussed one way or the other on the legal side - it's badly aligned aftermarket xenon bulbs placed in normal reflector headlights that gets on my nerves :-)

• Like 3

There is a lot of ambiguity in this area and a lot of the documentation is subjective.

I understand that MOT declares the car 'fit for the road' on that given day.

Furby, I agree, HID set up is much better behind a projector lens.

.......it's badly aligned aftermarket xenon bulbs placed in normal reflector headlights that gets on my nerves :-)

It's badly aligned ANY bulbs that hack me off! How stupid are people that can't install a new bulb correctly!?

We purchased a Monte Carlo Tech new in June this year. The first time i drove it in the dark was not until this October on the M1 when i thought the dipped beam is poor on the drivers side. The next evening i decided to take the car on an unlit country road, then i realized they were below par. I contacted our local supplying dealer who booked it in to check the alligntment. Once done & collected i drove again at night to find no better. The drivers side to me is the issue, once again booked back in to be sorted & the result, still no better. The dealer lent me their MC demonstrator to see if any better than ours & i have to say it was, to me the lights were just right especially the drivers side. The dealer on hearing this decided to put the demonstrator on the MOT lights machine & found they were both way out & would fail an MOT. i have asked the Service Manager to ask the Salesperson who uses the demonstrator if she now notices a difference at night. The next step for us is the Master Technician is going to take ours home Monday night & hopefully drive on an unlit country road to see for himself what we mean. Ironically the Service Managers Mother has a new MC which they have brought into the Dealership today to put on the MOT light machine. I look forward to hearing what the result of that is, to say we are pigged off is an understatement as my Wife refuses to drive it at night now.

Anyone got any ideas ? I am running out of them.

I would agree with putting in better bulbs however the OEM bulbs should not really need to be upgraded they should be able to light up the road ahead.

Looks like they are taking your complaint seriously and investigating it, keep us posted and let us know what they do for you.

I have HID in mine and I still feel they are not as good as the could/should be. There is obviously a flaw in the design of the light unit itself.

Osram nightbreaker Plus 90% fitted. Our previous 60 reg Fabia SE with DE module headlights was not a problem. The main problem is the drivers side, a real headscratcher. Shall keep you posted as to what happens next week after the Master Tech has driven it home monday night. Here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted a pair of osram nightbreaker unlimited bulbs (+110%)

The improvement is vast and how I believe the lights should have been in the first place. My last 2 cars had hids though so I've been used to bright lights.

I honestly believe that my lights, and a few others by the sounds of it, may be deemed legal but are actually quite unsafe. The bulbs were twenty fun tokens from the bay of E, money well spent IMO.

• 1 month later...

This seems to be a topic that runs and runs! In 2010

I fitted two pairs of Philips extreme something or other bulbs (projector + separate main beam) and from then on lights were fine, unladen I would want to use the dashboard adjuster at highest, and turn it down with the boot loaded.

But after first MOT (at Skoda dealer) I found couldn't see far enough to drive above 40mph on dipped, and even main beam struggled. Thanks to this thread I found the simple 6mm allen key adjusters on top of the lights - they needed 2 full turns to get them back to a usable height - I could see which ones to adjust becuase the monkey at the garage had helpfully failed to insert the allen key properly and chewed up the top of the adjuster.

I collected a new Monte Tech Estate in December and was dreading the headlights (having read all the comments on here and coming out of a Mercedes SLK with Xenons and Active Cornering lights.) However, I've been pleasantly surprised. Not sure if the spec of bulbs has changed but I'm quite happy with them and haven't had any problems so far.... and my commute incorporates everything from the M6 to rural country lanes.