Well my Octavia has now gone back to Skoda with a full refund. So have now paid a little extra to switch to a mk7 Golf Estate. Much happier that we an drive around without any headaches, ear pressure problems or feeling sick now!

It was a shame as apart from this problem, it was a very good car for the money! So if anyone doesn't have this problem then count yourself blessed!

i dont have this problem but i feel Your pain. nothing better than getting rid of the problem car and getting a car that makes you happy!

so far i am one of the blessed ones and happy With my car.....

Edited by bytterga

Once the service engineer said there was "nothing more they could do" and that was "just how the MK3 is" that was it, it had to go.

After so many happy years of MK2 octys it is a shame, I will never touch a MK3 again IMO they are fundamentally flawed.

My Octy has gone back now too, what an awful car.

Have got a yeti outdoor 4x4 instead (wife's choice) but what great fun! and no cabin pressure or booming noises. 

BTW New Octy in showroom had spring loaded buffers on the boot I assume as standard now, not that they fixed mine!

Roll on Octy MK4 and hope Skoda learn from this?

• Like 2

I work in aftermarket so I am copetition for Skoda or any other car manufacturer :-). We have also 3 O3 as company cars and no problem ( 2 liftbacks and 1 estate).

I was also afraid about cabin boom before picking up my O3 but as you said... I was lucky...

Absolutely no booming problems in our MY16 L&K estate. Difference between estate and hatchback maybe? Better construction and sealing these days? Or improved overall soundproofing - our 1.8 TSi engine is almost inaudible, all of the sound coming from the tyres. If only we had French road surfaces!

My owned for 5 months MY16 is free from the booming.

My previous 14 plate one had it a little, noticeable but not unbearable, but only on specific surfaces/speeds.

I don't appear to have sprung hatch stops or anything like that on this one.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, I recently picked up a 2013 SE hatchback and find the cabin pressure issue incredibly uncomfortable. Never really got it on the test drive but get it frequently on my daily commute now. This is my first experience with Skoda after driving Ford for the last 12 years and never experienced anything like this. Love the interior etc.. but just not sure I can live with the pressure on my ears and making for a very unpleasant drive. Hopefully I'll come across a solution but if not I'll just have to sell the car on look for an alternative. My wife noticed it as well but she seemed to find it disappeared after swallowing but returning later in the drive. Very frustrating as I really like everything about the car otherwise. I didn't get the car through a Skoda dealer but tempted to call in and see what they have to say about it.

Your very lucky indeed, or work for Skoda? 

My mates 2014 hatch is bl**dy awful too, he hates it but is trapped in a lease contract.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Same here with my estate, it's horrible.  I wear ear plugs on long journeys now.  It went in to the dealer yesterday and they blamed the uneven wear on the tyres.  They've clearly got no interest.   Have got a rattle on the glovebox and they said, "that's just how it is".

Being stuck in a company lease contract is not great when you really don't like the car.  I had a new Fabia and I'm sorry to say that it was quieter and smoother at motorway speeds, but it really shouldn't be.  A larger car should by nature be better!

Edited by sjrainsford

Hi Watsy,

My first suggestion would be to trawl back through this thread and find the post about adjusting the stops. I have a 63 plate SE which doesn't have pressure issues but you do need to give the boot lid a good slam to close it. HTH.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, for hatch owners only. I am afraid there is no solution for estates at the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a skoda rapid for a day as my octavia was getting further warranty repairs and found that in the rapid with the heating fan on 2 or above I could clearly hear a whistle as if the 'pressured' air inside the car was escaping through a small orifice accompanied by slight ear pressure. Brand new car to, maybe not just an octavia issue?

I spent some time last weekend adjusting the boot stops on my estate, and I must say it has improved the situation.  It's still not great though, neither is the road noise in these cars.  They seriously lack the right sound deadening.  I've got one year left on the lease and I can't wait to get rid.

• Like 1

Good diy skills shown. Worrying though these new cars need fettling so much almost immediately after being shipped from factory.

Why not cut out the assembly line ship the car in pieces to the buyer and we can crack on and assemble with much better quality control. Caterham style and save a lot of money. :-)

Hi

Thank god for this  thread , as I thought  i lost it ..  I'm  in the fortunate position to have  selection of  company cars to pick from , the Skoda Octavia Ambition was one of them .  I got to the dealer  and asked for the test drive ( brand new  2016 Octavia Ambition )  as soon as I took off i heard the "deep rumble", I really was taken a back by it as the car is  lovely otherwise ,   test driven other cars since ( I40, Tuscon and  focus)  and even went back for the second time and the boom was back . I drove it on a local road and a Irish motorway.  I really could not  pick this car for fear that I would get stuck with the boom  and considering i'm driving on some days for  5 hours .. it would drive me insane ( wearing earplugs  i did that with my old  volvo  S40 .. not a great solution) .. . such a pity that this is not picked up by Skoda .. it will come out sooner rather than later. .

Edited by SkodaNooby

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting worried reading this thread while waiting for my Octy. But now i have the car I am glad that I don't experience this.

My ears are sensitive to bass noise and mains hum, but I can't detect anything out of the ordinary.

This is on a 1.4 estate with 16" wheels and Continental tyres no spare, but I will be fitting a spare soon.

Playing with buffers may help for a while. But as temperature rises in spring, buffers get softer and the boom returns

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk