Compatable Bluetooth Phones

Expatman

I am upgrading an old non-smart phone to a new Samsung smart phone. Current Nokia works with my Yeti but anyone know how I can check the new phone will be comparable with my 2012 Yeti Elegance bluetooth? Don't want to buy the new phone only to find it won't 'link' with my Yeti!

How old is your Yeti?  There's a poster here whose Galaxy S3 kept dropping its bluetooth connection to his 2010 Yeti.  My Samsung feature phone does the same with my 2010 Yeti, even after I upgraded the bluetooth module to a newer version.  It's possible that the problem lies with the Bolero rather than the bluetooth module, and a later version of the Bolero might not exhibit the fault - but I can't say for sure since Boleros are not as cheap as bluetooth modules to take a punt with!

Bottom line: if it was me, I'd be a little wary of Samsung phones, at least with the 2010-era Bolero/bluetooth combination.  I'd suggest buying your new phone on a deal which would allow you to return it eg order it online so you have a right of return under the distance selling regulations.

My Samsung S2 won't now connect to the Bolero unit even though the phone says it's paired with the Skoda-BT and the Bolero says it's paired with the phone, message says unable to connect at this time. My Yeti is less than 3 months old.

My Samsung S2 won't now connect to the Bolero unit even though the phone says it's paired with the Skoda-BT and the Bolero says it's paired with the phone, message says unable to connect at this time. My Yeti is less than 3 months old.

Mine is same age as yours and I've had no problems, strange each unit seems to have a mind of their own :think:

Bluetooth is bluetooth .

You'd think so, but life is never that simple.  For a start, there are more than half a dozen versions of the Bluetooth standard, and counting.  In theory each later one is backward compatible with the previous ones - but theory and practice don't always match up.  Add to that the different protocols which make up the Bluetooth standards, and there is further room for confusion and mistakes.   On top of that there's the Bluetooth Profiles which devices have to support in order to be able to do anything useful over a Bluetooth connection.  A good example of that is AVRCP, which has been the subject of much debate on here when people wonder why they can't control playback on their smartphones from their Bolero.  AVRCP comes in multiple versions as well, just to complicate things further.

I think it may be significant that a number of people have reported issues with connecting Samsung smartphones via Bluetooth.  It's fairly well known that Samsung implemented their own Bluetooth stack in their Android phones, because Google haven't updated the stock BT stack to implement the new features in the latest BT standards.  For example, up until Android 4.3 the stock BT stack only implemented version 1.0 of AVRCP; even at 4.3 it only supported AVRCP version 1.3, when the standard had already been extended to version 1.5.

Bottom line: it's sadly not true to say that "bluetooth is bluetooth" - and there is plenty of evidence to prove that, both in the standards themselves and in people's personal experiences with Bluetooth-enabled devices.

I have had a problem with my new Motorola Razr i loosing its bluetooth connection, had no problems with my HTC it's apparently a fault with Android 4.2. I have cured it by going into settings- apps - all apps and going to bluetooth sharing and pressing force stop. This works for me except that you need to do this every time you restart your phone. It's not really a problem as I have only had to do this once. I found this fix by searching the problem on the web, just type in bluetooth issues with android Ice Cream Sandwich or ICS. There is a new update out now called Kit Kat (Google have a sweet tooth) which has hopefully fixed this. The Moto G is running Kit Kat so should hopefully be ok. 

Hope this helps

Android 4.2 is not Ice Cream Sandwich - that was 4.0.  4.2 is Jelly Bean.

My Xperia has worked just fine with my Yeti's bluetooth running both Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, and I know for certain that Sony only ship the standard Android BT stack, so I doubt the problem lies there.  It might be specific to HTC.

My Motorola Defy and Defy+ worked fine with my Yeti  as well; in fact that's why I got them, to replace the Samsung feature phone which had an unreliable BT connection.  However, they never ran anything later than Gingerbread (Android 2.3) so I wouldn't rely on that as a recommendation for the Moto G.

Galaxy S3 and S4 working fine here as well, never had any problem with the Bluetooth*

*Off to touch some wood <----- Is that one for Bob's corner? The innuendo nothing else  :blush:  

• Like 1

A bluetooth problem could be early signs of decay. Maybe time for a dentist to have a look.

Sorry, I could not resist...

My coat is already in Bobs corner and I'm on the way to it.

I hope you get the problem resolved soon. Please let us know how you get on.