Winters on !

Well, it has snowed here in N Wales on Boxing Day - nasty, slushy, very slippery stuff - and I had to take myself off the road (private hire driver - damn expensive pain on what should have been a peak night!) in my 13 plate MkIII Octavia 1.6 diesel Estate with normal tyres. It just didn't want to know. Handled atrociously and no traction at all on even quite moderate slopes (and we have plenty of steep ones around here!). I guess it was partly the tyres, but I've driven other vehicles in worse conditions in the past on normal tyres with far less problems, including my previous MkII Octy, and other vehicles were doing noticeably better. Is it the lighter engine and general build? Anyway, I suppose this means I need to investigate winter tyres for the first time ever.

Fit a set of winters and see if your insurance company would reduce your premium by a chunk. Being a private hire driver brings with it huge Ins premiums as you will know because you are driving others for work / business, but just be careful as some UK insurance comps consider fitting winters as a modification and increase your premium??? Check with them first and if they don't support "Plain good old Common sense" then find a comp that does.

What you lost in income that one night may be the total refunded to you by the insurance Comp &/or equivalent to the cost of your new winters. They could effectively cancel each others cost out and become a no brainer for you and others in your trade (you might want to keep quite about it as you will get their lost business) as I am sure many others were in the same situation as you were, stuck at home! 

Neither do I that's why I'm rolling on steelies , don't give a **** if they don't look stunning. Keeping the bloody car clean this weather is impossible.

Same here - my super posh turbine alloys lasted all of a month before being removed and replaced with my poverty spec steelies

• Like 1

Same here - my super posh turbine alloys lasted all of a month before being removed and replaced with my poverty spec steelies

browsing the bay of e yesterday I found these and thought of you andy,  turbines in matt black so they won't show the winter grime!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-TURBINE-B-Style-Alloy-Wheels-AUDI-A3-A4-A6-A8-TT-SEAT-PCD-5x112/201231900018?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Dc8d7553689364c52bb9d6eefe0e73516%26pid%3D100167%26prg%3D20140131123730%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D191469090366

• Like 1

My winters are now on, but I've had to use a single bolt from my normal wheels, due to someone's interference! 

Does anyone know what size bolt(s) I need to fit a set of ATS Radials? I'm going to buy 6 more bolts just in case.

My winters are now on, but I've had to use a single bolt from my normal wheels, due to someone's interference! 

Does anyone know what size bolt(s) I need to fit a set of ATS Radials? I'm going to buy 6 more bolts just in case.

Try these guys. A phone call,to confirm though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-14x1-5mm-14x1-5-Alloy-Steel-Wheel-Lug-Bolts-60-Degree-Tapered-Nuts-/151403376825?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda&hash=item23405830b9

I've had dealings with them before, when I was looking for locking wheel nuts & they sent me the wrong thing twice.  :dull:

Thanks anyway.

Ah ok, I guess you can only speak as you find.

Have you measured the ones you've already got? It's only then a matter of whether they are tapered or round (probably tapered)?

Have you measured the ones you've already got? It's only then a matter of whether they are tapered or round (probably tapered)?

and are they actually different from the bolts you've removed from the original wheels that came with the car.

My winter alloys were provided with a new set of bolts but these were identical to the original VAG ones anyway.

Ok so not an Octavia as such......................but most of the same components................& alloys are Team Dynamics Pro Race3, 17x7 et45 with the new Michelin Alpin A5, 225/45R17 tyres..... 

post-70632-0-76185200-1421257305_thumb.jpg

Most aftermarket wheels are 60 degree taper bolt figment which the Skoda has as standard. I had to use radius bolts for my Audi wheels.

You may find the aftermarket wheels require different length bolts though

• 3 weeks later...

Neither do I that's why I'm rolling on steelies , don't give a **** if they don't look stunning. Keeping the bloody car clean this weather is impossible.

Because chemically salted roads makes steel rims no fun to put on a metal hub year after year...

We've done some really different asphalt to SNOWWY days now with the mk3 on the beforementioned 205/55r16 Michelin X-Ice 3s. Just lovely!

I'm well chuffed with my nokians. It took me the same time as normal to get to work this morning with hardly any issues with traction on the snow on my estate or the bit of slush left on the main roads.

Im running studed Nokian Hakka 8 tyres on my Mondeo. Did have regular Michelin X-Ice on the VW Bora I had some years ago. It worked ok, but was kinda slippery on the really icy days. But on snow its not that big a difference.

Cant wait to get the Octavia, 4x4 and studded tyres = almost unstopable :D

My Nokian WR D3's tasted snow for the first time today. It was only half-a-centimeter but it makes me feel better about buying them now.

A few observations vs stock VRS tyres.

*Cool dry weather running (5-10deg) feels pretty similar.

*In cold dry weather (below 5deg) the Nokian Winters definately have more grip. There is less wheelspin and braking is more assured, especially if there has been a frost.

*In wet weather the Nokians are superb. It absolutely chucked it down a few weeks ago and the Nokians felt very stable in standing water.

*On icy roads the Nokian make much better use of what grip there is. You still have to be careful, but you have some stopping power rather than none.

*Tyre noise seems lower than the Sport Contacts, but the noise that is ther is higher pitched and perhaps a little more annoying.

*Thicker sidewalls on the Nokians help prevent kerbed alloys. Rubber will most likely contact the kerb first.

• Like 1

Because chemically salted roads makes steel rims no fun to put on a metal hub year after year...

We've done some really different asphalt to SNOWWY days now with the mk3 on the beforementioned 205/55r16 Michelin X-Ice 3s. Just lovely!

I'm running Goodyear Ultragrip 9's having previously had Conti TS80 on my previous Golf through the winter. As usual I'm getting more mpg as well :-)

• Like 1

Hehe yes, it is a different, comfortable world when smooth surface is available on winter dimensions.

Speaking off, I did ring the local dealership to give my Octy an oil change "for the books" due bed-in at 6000kms instead of topping up if needed.

Blimey, they'll releave me of £220 in doing so! :o So much for that winter budget (also just blew £1000 on Milltek Classic though LOL).

• 3 weeks later...

I've just noticed Tyre Leader has 43% off Nokian WR A3 tyres (225, 40 r18), making a £72 saving per corner.  Am I right in thinking this would be false economy for someone doing low mileage, as they will be a year older and a fair bit harder and hence less effective than newly bought ones next winter...and of no real benefit a couple of years later (long before warn out)?

may be a good buy for any of you doing high mileage though.

I've just noticed Tyre Leader has 43% off Nokian WR A3 tyres (225, 40 r18), making a £72 saving per corner.  Am I right in thinking this would be false economy for someone doing low mileage, as they will be a year older and a fair bit harder and hence less effective than newly bought ones next winter...and of no real benefit a couple of years later (long before warn out)?

Tyre retailers almost always offer 30-40% off list price deals. Not worth fitting winter tyres now as we only have 1 month of cold weather left (UK).

Not worth fitting winter tyres now as we only have 1 month of cold weather left (UK).

Ah yes I wasn't very clear, I am thinking about next winter. This year the car and tyres were new and since I can often do without the car in really poor weather I decided I'd manage fine with the OEM sport contract tyres. By the start of next year though they will be harder and worn, but perhaps not worn out. So I may fit winter tyres next winter.

I was mainly browsing tyre leader for rims ( and am now very keen on the Borbet bs5 in grey! Discounted to a great price), but had a quick look at tyres too. I got excited when I saw the nokians were heavily discounted but then stopped myself. By next winter they will be harder and with my mileage, I could well run winter tyres for 4 winters and still have tread on them. I think I need to get fresh tyres next autumn if I'm to benefit greatly from them over the following years.

Been driving for 25 years in the UK. Never had use for Winter tyres, rarely been in a situation where I thought 'Wish I had them on'... When it has been so bad, which has been about three occasions in the last 10 years, I turn round and **** off back home. I suppose if they insist we have to have them them I will have to bite the bullet.

Wintertyres can easily last 3-4 winters.

I ran my old x-ice tyres 4 winters, and that was real "north of the arctic circle"-type of winter.

I think the rule of thumb is that tyres should be changed at least after 5-years (even if they are not worn out) so last years spec should last 4 to 4.5 more years £(depending when it was manufactured).

A saving of 72gbp is a nice reduction so even if you didn't wear them down to the minimum, it sounds like a good deal.

From the information in this thread, you can make your own decision whether they are "necessary" or not.

But I will say they are a great improvement in even the rain over the summer tyres.

Thanks Gabbo.

Can anybody tell me, what should I expect to pay for a decent brand winter tyre when purchasing 'fresh stock' in October ish time?  Camskill, oponeo, mytyres, tyre leader price, not kwikfit price and by branded I guess I mean conti winter contact, Goodyear ultra grip, or the nokians.  Currently these seem to be about £120+, except for the nokians at £95.   So actually the current saving is possibly more like £25 per corner.   Size I'm looking at is same as summer ( so I can use one of the other season set as my spare and not be restricted to space saver speeds by law) 225/40 r18.