Dunlop sport fast response tyres due replacement

G Bain

My 2012 Superb se has covered 22000 miles and original Dunlop sport fast response 225 45 r17 94w xl tyres need replacing. Recently they have become noisy and can't decide whether direct replacement (Kwik fit on line quote of £113 each) or try different range of Dunlop's,perhaps sport maxx or pirelli cinturato 7 which are factory fitted to father in laws 62 plate Superb. Up until recently happy enough with Dunlop's but above all I want a quiet tyre and to get my 'motorway cruiser' back.

Any feedback on what is fitted to other forum members would be welcome?

find them (or whatever tyre) at the cheapest online price you can - then head to Halfords Auto Centres, direct them to it online, and they'll price match. 

Just bought 4x 225/60/16 GoodYear Wrangler's for Dad's Yeti - They price Matched CamSkill (£360 for the 4 vx their price of £609) 

Al. 

ps. Sport Maxx GT MO on my E Class - All is well so far - but useless in the white stuff - SottoZero's on for the winter...

Research tyre topics on Briskoda before you take the plunge.  Dunlop Sports Maxx tyres generally get a big thumbs down.  I threw them away after 10000kms due to dreadful sawtoothing and NOISE!!!   Have had Contis for the past 50km and very quiet at highway speed and wearing very well.  Can't comment of snow driving of course. Only place around here with frost is inside my fridge!!

In contrast I have 18 inch sport maxx rt's on my Superb and have run them on the front for 9k miles without issues, they are wearing well. The Conti's I replaced after 12k miles on the front and 18 on the back.

To be fair I have noticed the rutting issue but I think this is partly down to the state of the roads. We have an A3 that is running 17 inch Michelin's and I noticed exactly the same issue on exactly the same stretch of motorway,

Hope this helps?

Ive had a few sets of Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2' on Superbs and Octavias which seam to be great in all areas. Not have Firestone Winterhawks which see the cols spells out pritty well.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Me too and they are great on everything bar very broken tarmac. Over very broken tarmac they can drone abit. I do a 60 mile round trip a day to work and most of it is sat in a nice quiet environment of my Superb with a few stretches of noise due to a poor road surface

I've got an SE on 17"s and have just gone onto Michelin Primacy. Bought from Costco for £390 for 4 fitted. They are excellent - very quiet.

As others have said, the Dunlops were disappointing - terrible saw-toothing and poor wear rates. Grip ok, bit noisy though.

Thanks for all comments. The consensus does seem to be Dunlop's aren't the best. Goodyear efficient grip performance seem to be good rolling resistance, good in wet and quiet. Asda tyres quoting £103.80 each with fitting at halfords,and cheaper than halfords! I was happy with dunlops until last few thousand miles as they have got noisier. Michelin's seem good but £120 each and as I need 4 that adds up.

I need to now bit the bullet but bit of me thinks if Skoda thought to put Dunlop's on, I should stick with them. But I know that they probably just got best deal on them!!

Someone please tell me just to order the goodyears and that I will not regret it!!

Mine came with Dunlop Sport Maxx - were Ok in the dry but bit noisey.

Have now replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1 - and these are much better. (Lease company replaced so I don't get a choice)

My 2012MY (Dec 2011) is now 2 years and 28K miles old. Still on original Conti sport contact 2's, with 5.5mm on the rears and 3mm on the front. Would be perfectly happy to go with same again.

Conti Premium Contact and Goodyear efficient grip both suit cars like the Superb very well. I have done a about 150k on both in various cars and while the Goodyear get me marginally higher mileage they are both great tyres that grip and handle well (apart from in snow) and are very quiet. 

Been driving for about 40 years and when I first started out I used Dunlop and found them wanting. Poor performance in the wet despite their advertised "aqua pump" technology.

I have tried other brands but always come back to Continental or Michelin.

The only part of the car in contact with road and it is worth spending a little more on to keep you on the road. Look after them and they will look after you.

There are deals to had if you spend time time looking and play one off against the other.

In the pub last night and a mate was looking to put 4 Avon on his car, ok could live with that but then he fessed up to never checking his tyre pressures.  :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't put Dunlop Sport Maxx on they are utter, utter rubbish

The End

I concur. Fitted to my previous 'Tavia estate when purchased and they were just plain scary; work of the devil. 3rd gear wheelspin on a wet motorway was a particular lowlight... Worse than the Federal S595 (or 959) which were on the wives vRS when we got it.

Michelin PS3's on mine, immediately better than the original Continental (noise and steering response), have done 14K on them and they look good for at least the same again (i.e. 28K, with only 20K from the originals).

Got mine from ATS on offer (4 for price of 3, plus £50 fuel voucher), total cost £360 or so.