Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

Hi, quick question to add to the thread. Possibly been answered in the middle but I'm not certain. I've just purchased an 2011 Superb Combi Elegance which I understand will have the Columbus system. Is there any way of being sure in advance what hardware version I'll have?

1) Is it a given regardless of firmware that I'll be able to install latest maps v13? If so then I'll probably go ahead and order these in advance.

2) Will updating to most recent firmware 4120 (assuming not installed) am I simply looking at burning an ISO to a CD and installing from there? (nothing more complicated?)

3) Am I correct in understanding that there'll be no benefits in a later firmware due to age of car/unit?

4) Am I also correct understanding that Bluetooth is completely separate to the Columbus? I'm kinda crossing fingers my Nokia Lumia 930 will be compatible! Don't want fancy features, just ability to talk on it!

thanks!

Hi, quick question to add to the thread. Possibly been answered in the middle but I'm not certain. I've just purchased an 2011 Superb Combi Elegance which I understand will have the Columbus system. Is there any way of being sure in advance what hardware version I'll have?

1) Is it a given regardless of firmware that I'll be able to install latest maps v13? If so then I'll probably go ahead and order these in advance.

2) Will updating to most recent firmware 4120 (assuming not installed) am I simply looking at burning an ISO to a CD and installing from there? (nothing more complicated?)

3) Am I correct in understanding that there'll be no benefits in a later firmware due to age of car/unit?

4) Am I also correct understanding that Bluetooth is completely separate to the Columbus? I'm kinda crossing fingers my Nokia Lumia 930 will be compatible! Don't want fancy features, just ability to talk on it!

thanks!

Press and hold Setup on the head unit facia. That will bring up a few menu's from which you can view your system configuration.

• Like 1

Press and hold Setup on the head unit facia. That will bring up a few menu's from which you can view your system configuration.

Thanks yeah, but the thing is I won't have the car until end of this coming week. Per my post I was trying to guess some of the answers in advance based on the age of the car and assuming the previous owner hasn't upgraded along the way. Any further advice much appreciated!

thanks!

1. Yes v13 maps would be good to go on this unit whatever it's firmware if it is in a 2011 car.

2. Firmware Upgrades are indeed done by just inserting the firmware CD or DVD and following the on-screen instructions. Just follow the instructions in post #1 in this very thread. ;)

3. The only difference between 4120 and 4020 is the addition of radio text in 4120. Most stations basically just have a little message saying their name or a website. The only two I've noticed using it properly are Radio 1 and Heart who both give now playing info a bit like you get on DAB. As to newer firmware I don't think you would benefit as after this they are designed for the DAB fitted units.

4. Yes the BT module is separate to the Columbus. A 2011 car should have the unit that enables a wider range of usable handsets as it uses the bog standard BT protocol as well as the rSAP protocol.

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

Latest maps will load onto any unit provided it hasn't been modified in the firmware department. Once someone loads on a "modified" version of any firmware it's not possible to say whether this would be possible or not, as they could've changed the hard drive partition size to anything. Modified has become a byword for better, but in reality it just means it's not standard.

Bluetooth is not part of the Columbus unit, but is a separate module fitted to the car. There are many different models of Bluetooth and different functions and compatibility between them.

As for the rest, I'd wait and see what you actually get before planning anything else.

• Like 1

Latest maps will load onto any unit provided it hasn't been modified in the firmware department. Once someone loads on a "modified" version of any firmware it's not possible to say whether this would be possible or not, as they could've changed the hard drive partition size to anything. Modified has become a byword for better, but in reality it just means it's not standard.

Bluetooth is not part of the Columbus unit, but is a separate module fitted to the car. There are many different models of Bluetooth and different functions and compatibility between them.

As for the rest, I'd wait and see what you actually get before planning anything else.

OK so I finally got the car yesterday - absolutely love it so far! Long press on setup and into info menu produces following information:

Delivery part number 3T0035680C

HW-Version H06

SW-Version 3974

Map Version HDD 7476

Am I correct in thinking the answers I've received so far still stand? i.e. direct upgrade to 4120 possible followed by mps to v13?

For that unit on HW 06 I'd say firmware 5238 and V13 maps. Be careful where you source your firmware from though, as there are some dodgy downloads knocking about.

Thanks for that! Any suggestions on the best safe source!?

Thanks for that! Any suggestions on the best safe source!?

I doubt you will get a serious reply. From my searching for updates for my VW which is the same there are 2 online sellers if you Google. Trying to find a 3rd party without having to sign your life away for spam mail will be difficult. Once you do find a site you then run the risk of a buggy download and thence copying to DVD DD or SD & CD. You may also get a forum member offering to flog you a media that he has ripped from someone else. It could all be a dangerous game. You might ask your local dealer what they would charge to do it from their software (without spending £150 on the official media). 

• Like 1

Thanks again to all for the advice! Got the job done yesterday over the course of the day and it was actually surprisingly easy to do! Got the new firmware done first via CD and it worked first time. Next I got the maps. Couldn't source a Dual Layer DVD for the job, but I came across that program which lets you install from SD card and match up with another ISO on DVD, and again it worked perfectly first time! To anyone else who comes across the thread, it's all very easy to do! Windows 10 includes a built-in tool to burn ISO files to DVD. I didn't have an option to select slow speed, but the W10 tool includes a validation to make sure everything is written correctly!

I doubt you will get a serious reply. From my searching for updates for my VW which is the same there are 2 online sellers if you Google. Trying to find a 3rd party without having to sign your life away for spam mail will be difficult. Once you do find a site you then run the risk of a buggy download and thence copying to DVD DD or SD & CD. You may also get a forum member offering to flog you a media that he has ripped from someone else. It could all be a dangerous game. You might ask your local dealer what they would charge to do it from their software (without spending £150 on the official media).

You shouldn't be buying a firmware disc anyway..... The sites for the firmware are given in post #1 of this thread..... I think you are getting confused with the maps and the firmware. It's the not so legal maps that shouldn't be suggested on here. ;)

You shouldn't be buying a firmware disc anyway..... The sites for the firmware are given in post #1 of this thread..... I think you are getting confused with the maps and the firmware. It's the not so legal maps that shouldn't be suggested on here. ;)

I think if you read the topic heading it says....firmware and maps. Well that's how I read it.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I think if you read the topic heading it says....firmware and maps. Well that's how I read it.

Sorry you've lost me with that reply..... I was talking about your previous post where you were talking about buying a firmware disc. This very topic tells you in post #1 where to download the firmware. But it is the maps that can be bought on well known addiction sites but may not be so legal.... And that can be downloaded also not so legally.

When you made that post you were replying to someone who was only asking about the firmware and not the maps. Hence my reply to yourself originally. ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily! I've tried that on the Columbus in my 2010 Superb Elegance but only get the AM/FM Radio options. Apparently you need VCDS to turn on the firmware info. Could be different on later models of course.

Dave

3T0035680D

HW: H60

SW: 3984

What is the latest verion of firmware that I can install on my unit? Also can it solve the fact that the menus are kind of laggy?

Thank you.

My Columbus is just a few months newer than yours and it came with 3984 installed. I have updated two or three times and am now at 5274 which you could go to directly. Some people have reported an increase but it's very subjective.

• 2 weeks later...

V13 maps work fine..... They are designed for the Columbus/RNS510. ;)

Would that be the official V13, 8316 or the unofficial V13.1, 8348...

My 510 is running 8316 OK.

Edited by DonjSZ5