Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

What's "Unofficial" about V13 8348?

Have you tried buying an official DVD set from a dealer that is 8348. If so which dealer because VW UK don't sell it according to my two local dealers. There are some who download it from somewhere and rip it to home DVD and sell it here there and everywhere for low money. Which I believe is termed copyright infringement.

I also understand that new vehicles have the latest V loaded but my question remains unanswered. A simple 5 minute task for most people.

The official and labelled V13 set I purchased is 8316.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Have you tried buying an official DVD set from a dealer that is 8348. If so which dealer because VW UK don't sell it according to my two local dealers. There are some who download it from somewhere and rip it to home DVD and sell it here there and everywhere for low money. Which I believe is termed copyright infringement.

I also understand that new vehicles have the latest V loaded but my question remains unanswered. A simple 5 minute task for most people.

The official and labelled V13 set I purchased is 8316.

There's nothing unofficial about the V13.1 maps..... They have the same part number but are just an updated version to the original v13 and have the same 1T0 part number. I don't know what was updated myself but they are very much official. Take a look at the table for "Platform CY" in this link and go down to v13 and v13.1....... http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Navigation_System_Maps

If you are still convinced that something like this can't be updated etc.... during its release run would you say that Windows 8.1 wasn't official because your laptop came with Windows 8.0 on it. Or a laptop for sale in PC World only had Windows 8 or 8.1 on it so Windows 10 can't be the latest version can it??? Maybe my iPhone is running unofficial iOS version 9.2.1 as when I bought it it just came with iOS 9.0.

And by the way you say your dealer says 8316 is the latest???? Well I asked my dealer and they said it was 8195 or v12 so by your logic that to me means your disc is also unofficial and doesn't exist..... Because my dealer told me so.

I also saw your "poll" the other day when you originally posted it but the topic didn't actually contain a vote or poll to take part in..... And you are asking only for input from people who haven't updated their system in any way so again pretty much limited...

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

There's nothing unofficial about the V13.1 maps..... They have the same part number but are just an updated version to the original v13 and have the same 1T0 part number. I don't know what was updated myself but they are very much official. Take a look at the table for "Platform CY" in this link and go down to v13 and v13.1....... http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Navigation_System_Maps

If you are still convinced that something like this can't be updated etc.... during its release run would you say that Windows 8.1 wasn't official because your laptop came with Windows 8.0 on it. Or a laptop for sale in PC World only had Windows 8 or 8.1 on it so Windows 10 can't be the latest version can it??? Maybe my iPhone is running unofficial iOS version 9.2.1 as when I bought it it just came with iOS 9.0.

And by the way you say your dealer says 8316 is the latest???? Well I asked my dealer and they said it was 8195 or v12 so by your logic that to me means your disc is also unofficial and doesn't exist..... Because my dealer told me so.

I also saw your "poll" the other day when you originally posted it but the topic didn't actually contain a vote or poll to take part in..... And you are asking only for input from people who haven't updated their system in any way so again pretty much limited...

I provided Ross with that information ref V13 8316....as their site was incorrect. And they have described 8438 as V13.1 not me. I cannot see (through looking back at their history of round numbers) a V13.1 DVD being released. IMHO It would be V14.

No, I did not say the dealer said 8316 is the latest. They could only supply V11. Its the maps version shown in the info file on the DVD set I purchased from Germany, sealed and correctly printed and pressed. Not a hooky DVD as sold on ebay or members here offering me a copy by PM of theirs....no names.

I was after someone with a new or newish vehicle to post the version on their system to determine if 8348 is preloaded. 140 viewers and no reaction. Had I posted about who has white worm it would have had many replies. Perhaps this is way too technical for most.

post-116378-0-99620100-1457774249_thumb.jpg

post-116378-0-23650800-1457774263_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonjSZ5

I'm assuming from your interpretation of what I've said and you thinking that anything updated on v13 would have to be v14 that you don't have any idea on how software updates work. Only a major planned release would be v14. Anything else would be v13.1 then v13.2 etc. If you had a proper look at the table I mentioned previously you would see that VW had already done the same thing the other year with v7 maps which over the course of the year had two different map numbers for the v7 maps that year.

No, I did not say the dealer said 8316 is the latest. They could only supply V11.

Have you tried buying an official DVD set from a dealer that is 8348. If so which dealer because VW UK don't sell it according to my two local dealers.

Sorry but I'd say that reads as you have asked more than one dealer.

I really don't think your question or poll is too technical...... What you maybe don't seem to realise is that these maps were released at the end of last year and the RNS510 & Superb combination only had a run of a few weeks before the release of the new Superb which obviously doesn't use these maps. Your request to find an owner of one of these very limited vehicles is maybe going to take a while to come to fruition.

What I am asking is for someone to point me too the official 13.1 DVD or VW download release 8348. As I have stated elsewhere Navteq (HELP) refused to assist stating they did not support RNS510 head units now.

By the way ROSS did not thank me outright for notifying them there was an 8316 (official DVD release)...I got a slap on the wrist for asking a question when not a registered member...yet they amended their web.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Well as Rustynuts had already said he purchased his direct from VW so maybe if you ask politely and without accusing people of piracy he will assist further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well as Rustynuts had already said he purchased his direct from VW so maybe if you ask politely and without accusing people of piracy he will assist further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM sent

You're price of £80 was a good one too..... Where was that from and was that all in etc... Although part of me thinks that at that price it may still be a good fake or fallen off the back of a lorry etc....

Edited by WaveyDavey

You're price of £80 was a good one too..... Where was that from and was that all in etc... Although part of me thinks that at that price it may still be a good fake or fallen off the back of a lorry etc....

Yes and delivered from Europe. It came from VW. As previously stated, it is silk screen printed with pressed bottom, came sealed in official DVD pack. Too much for a fake.

AS yet I am the only person to issue a picture or description of the DVD package I paid for and received. 

Again and again perhaps others would like to post pictures and their source. Still waiting for that above.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Firmware updated from 3984  to 5238  :thumbup: 

Don't know if it's a placebo but I find in much more responsive...........

Edited by DEL80Y

Yes and delivered from Europe. It came from VW. As previously stated, it is silk screen printed with pressed bottom, came sealed in official DVD pack. Too much for a fake.

https://shops.volkswagen.com/de_DE/web/zubehoer/p/navigations-dvd-rom-cy-europa-west-v13--1t0051859ak-11

AS yet I am the only person to issue a picture or description of the DVD package I paid for and received. 

Again and again perhaps others would like to post pictures and their source. Still waiting for that above.

I take it it was on offer when you got it from VW as they are charging £140 in your link. V12 DVDs are still going for around £90-100 from reputable sources. So that's why I thought it might have been a stolen copy or very good fake being sold as legit etc.....

I take it it was on offer when you got it from VW as they are charging £140 in your link. V12 DVDs are still going for around £90-100 from reputable sources. So that's why I thought it might have been a stolen copy or very good fake being sold as legit etc.....

Yes I made an offer to someone who had it advertised at €140...as I have said and supplied pictures it is genuine V13, 8316.

Also, we have still not heard from anyone ref their 'ORIGINAL' 8348. I suppose we must take that with a pinch of salt.

The outrageous prices that are charged for Sat Nav discs is the problem here..

Tom tom can do lifetime maps with there machines for less than a 100 quid  :nerd: 

Over £300 to get my Merc upgraded because it has to be done online at dealer  :devil:.

Missed the "free within 3 years" by 1 day and Merc told me to do 1.. 

DonjSZ5 did you purchase direct form VW as you have now  said you made an offer to someone?

Yes I made an offer to someone who had it advertised at €140...as I have said and supplied pictures it is genuine V13, 8316.

Also, we have still not heard from anyone ref their 'ORIGINAL' 8348. I suppose we must take that with a pinch of salt.

Ahhh so you didn't buy it from VW as you have been saying up till now. For the price you paid I would say you have bought a good forgery or it is an original disc that is stolen. I'm sorry but why would anyone sell a legit unopened disc like that when only a couple of months into its release for around half its correct price and for another twenty to thirty quid less than the previous v12 map discs are still retailing at.

This seems to be getting a bit petty now, who cares anyway. No one is allowed to put links here to the downloads for the maps but if someone wants to download it and load it that way, that's their choice. Again if they want to buy it from VW, eBay, wherever it's their choice. No one has to prove where they got their maps from with pictures etc. This is a guide on how to update the firmware and load maps, anything else I would say start a different thread.

• Like 3

Ahhh so you didn't buy it from VW as you have been saying up till now. For the price you paid I would say you have bought a good forgery or it is an original disc that is stolen. I'm sorry but why would anyone sell a legit unopened disc like that when only a couple of months into its release for around half its correct price and for another twenty to thirty quid less than the previous v12 map discs are still retailing at.

That is where it came from and as I have said and shown it's original. Forgers would not go to the expense of this quality knowing that only a few will be sold. Pressing of the data (bottom) side being the most expensive aspect.

Strange that ROSS TECH accepted my picture evidence within the space of 12 hours after notifying them...so, real enough for them to make them amend their web site.

We still await some firm evidence of a VW released 8348 DVD.

AJ7788, as you rightly say we are not allowed to put links to download sites but we are allowed to freely discuss how to and what to do which, if done, infringes copyright....yes/no. I did start a separate topic but after ni on 300 viewings nobody as yet has stepped forward to supply data to what is a simple and fairly quick reply.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Please keep this thread on track.

And again as already stated this is a guide thread about updating your head-unit and issues seen whilst doing that.

The discussion about update sources can be created in a new thread and linked from this thread.

Edited by Welsh_kai_boy
  • Like 2

Please keep this thread on track.

And again as already stated this is a guide thread about updating your head-unit and issues seen whilst doing that.

The discussion about update sources can be created in a new thread and linked from this thread.

Agreed and rather than clog up this thread anymore I have PMd the other party in question etc.....

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm looking at upgrading firmware and maps on my Columbus unit.

VCDS aand hidden menu report current as

HW Part number 3T0 035 680 E
SW Part number 3T0 035 680 E

Hardware H61

Software 3984

Map version 7960

Am I right in thinking that 7960 is map version 8?

My main query is what firmware to download. There seems to be a bewildering selection of firmware updates available (here mostly) without any obvious direction on what should be fitted to what unit. Is the highest firmware version number the most recent? Also, is there a cutoff with a specific HW revision as to what version is suitable e.g. would version 6276 be compatible with my unit or should I get something different?

Any help would be appreciated on this.