Enabling both rear fog lights with VCDS - LED cluster

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just had this adaptation done to my vRS Octavia & it worked (or so I thought). But when I went into Europe the same day & switched the headlights via the infotainment system to "Drive on the right" neither fog lit when set to on. When set to "Drive on the Left" (as in UK) they both work as the thread above states it should, so reckon that when coding the fog lights, the headlights need to be set to "Drive on the left" otherwise the coding doesn't take. I wish I had checked this during coding as we could have fixed it, so if doing the coding above, check the fogs work in both Drive on right/left modes.

If anyone with a standard uncoded vRS could check if the left hand fog light lights if the headlights are set to "Drive on the Right" i.e. opposite to what we use in the UK (then post on here) that would be great.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I just had this adaptation done to my vRS Octavia & it worked, but when the headlights were switched via the infotainment system to "Drive on the right" neither fog lit when set to on. When set to "Drive on the Left" (as in UK) they both work as the thread above states it should, so reckon that when coding the fog lights, the headlights need to be set to "Drive on the left" otherwise the coding doesn't take. In anycase check the fogs work in both Drive on right/left modes.

If anyone with a standard uncoded vRS could check if the left hand fog light lights if the headlights are set to "Drive on the Right" i.e. opposite to what we use in the UK (then post on here) that would be great.

Cheers

What setting did you set the rear fogs to? There are three settings - rear fogs when trailer not connected, rear fogs when trailer not connected for right hand traffic or rear fogs when trailer not connected for left hand traffic.

I think I can guess which one they were set to so they are behaving exactly as coded :)

Try coding them both as Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt

I have coded them for other users stationed in Germany and they seem to have been fine when they have switched the headlights to continental settings.

What setting did you set the rear fogs to? There are three settings - rear fogs when trailer not connected, rear fogs when trailer not connected for right hand traffic or rear fogs when trailer not connected for left hand traffic.

I think I can guess which one they were set to so they are behaving exactly as coded :)

Try coding them both as Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt

I have coded them for other users stationed in Germany and they seem to have been fine when they have switched the headlights to continental settings.

I thinks we must have coded them exactly as you think we did.

The other codings we did such as turning fogs worked, as did the fan speed LED when in Auto, but neither tear drop wipe or lane change flash (from 3-4) worked. They weren't so important so wasn't bothered but but really annoyed at myself for not checking both modes for the fogs. Cant understand why they provide the EURO function for the headlights but don't swap the Fog at the same time? Frustrating in huge proportions.

Could you possibly edit your thread to highlight this to others as I had never coded before & the kind gent doing the coding had never coded such a modern car so we were both blind to this. It is fantastically complicated thing to do unless you are a regular like yourself. The 1,000,000 options were quite intimidating at first but we got there. I/we now know for the future / next time.

Cheers

John 

Do a factory reset on your light settings from the Infotainment unit and the lane change flash will start working.

Front teardrop doesn't work if you have Auto wipers, rear teardrop will only work if the car is moving :)

Cheers for that.

I must ask though, if I do a reset of my lights, will the twin fogs stop working on the UK setting? I needed to blag the tester by flicking the lights to UK setting to get the fogs to work, I don't want to loose all fogs altogether as I can run them on side lights rather than headlights so as not to dazzle the German public.

Many thanks for the help.

Best be careful which test centre you use then as the testers read these forums too!

The test doesn't check that above 50 kmh that the fog light speed warning is displayed (max speed limit when visibility less than 50 m i.e. when fog lights are required) which can be coded too.

Cheers for that.

I must ask though, if I do a reset of my lights, will the twin fogs stop working on the UK setting? I needed to blag the tester by flicking the lights to UK setting to get the fogs to work, I don't want to loose all fogs altogether as I can run them on side lights rather than headlights so as not to dazzle the German public.

Many thanks for the help.

Reset from infotainment won't affect your fogs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just tried this on my brand new RHD vRS, it doesn't work. I've checked both are set to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt" but only the RHS rear fog comes on.

Reset all the light settings to default in the infotainment unit and then have a look.

MY15 cars have a newer BCM and there are reports of some things not working, but this is the first I've heard of the rear fogs being affected. Which version of VCDS are you using? Can you pull the full adaptation map from controller 09 and attach it to a PM to me and I will take a look.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind offer of help @andyvee.  I already tried resetting the lights in infotainment, it didn't help. I've tried with both VCDS 12.12.1 and Beta 14.7.2, it didn't make any difference.

How do I pull down the full adaption map?

I think you may be correct about the new BCM - looking at some older screenshots I see "5Q0 937 084 BCM MQBAB H H16 0124", mine is "5Q0 937 086 AA BCM PQ37BOSCH 028 0104". Most of the other adaptions that I've tried have worked OK - cornering fogs, reversing mirror dip, fan speed indication etc, so I'm hopeful it's possible to get the fogs modification working as well.

I'll also try the "fog lights for left hand traffic when trailer disconnected" option when I figure out what the German for that is ;-)

Edited by vrsalan

I'll also try the "fog lights for left hand traffic when trailer disconnected" option when I figure out what the German for that is ;-)[/

quote]

Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt und Linksverkehr

• Like 2

When they eventually get round to building my 2015MY I'll be able to suss it out!

I have a new BCM I can play with, I'll check what version it is. I'll post in the VCDS adaptations thread how to pull the adaptation map, the only caveat is that it takes about 20 minutes so your laptop needs to be fully charged!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting, I have the below and it works fine with that

Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 AE    HW: 5Q0 937 084 AE
   Component: BCM MQBAB H   H16 0124  

Which is a slightly different version.

These MY15 cars are becoming interesting!

I have VCP as well as VCDS, so the chances are I can get it to work with VCP if VCDS won't do it as it doesn't have the correct label files etc.

• Like 1

& there was me all about to splash out for some VCDS cable! 

not sure I will risk it now!

Virtually everything else I've tried works and the bit/byte assignments for controller 09 seem to be identical to the old one, the only difference is that VCDS doesn't have the pull-downs for some of the adjustments because it doesn't (yet) recognise the new Bosch controller. However you can just set the bits manually and I've already mailed a scan off to Ross-Tech so they can update VCDS. I don't think you have to worry, as Andy says I'm sure the necessary updates to VCDS won't be long in coming.