Screenwash ahh!

I currently use Skoda's screen wash, works well and not too expensive in the Fabia.

Now I have an Octavia Elegance with a 4.7ltr water tank with front and rear windows plus front lights and the car seems to be drinking the screen wash.

So what screen wash do you use and at what dilution?

Guest Cossiecol

I've been using Sonax Xtreme (from Germany) it's brilliant however expensive £35 for 5lt

The best buy around is actually Halfords own double concentration (Apple) works easily at -6/-7 and smells good too, plus it lasts for ever and is only about £2 per ltr

Halfords do several varieties of screenwash,

The cheapy one does down to -5°C, then there's a "Berry Scented" ready mixed one which is effective to -10°C, then there's the green one which is "Citrus Scented" which is effective to -20°C.

Prices are for 5L ready mixed & ready to use solutions: £3,49 for cheapy, £4.49 for -10°C & £6,99 for the -20°C version respectively.

If you want to go further then there's the Comma Xtreme ready mixed which is £10 for 5L & is effective to -26°C.

I'm currently using Carrefours' ready mixed -20°C, which is Peach Scented and cost ~£4,50 for 5L and it's very good too.

We use Prestone.

Premixed and good for -10*C

As a bonus, it contains a rainX type additive that helps the rain run off, and it works well.

For summer it can be diluted up to 19 : 1 but I normally only do 5 : 1

Comes in 5ltr and available from Lidl, Asda and Tesco for £5

Skoda's own screenwash is good value, that's what I use from my local dealer. Can't remember the price, but someone else might.

Another option is to modify the washer programme to use less water on the headlights, needs VCDS (at least, this is possible on the vRS).

Thanks for the replies an interesting read.

I could not see the dilution ratio for the VW stuff so have been using 1 to 3 and am now wondering if I could use 1 to 5 water and what temp would it go down too at that dilution.

I am thinking about asking for some changes using VCDS, just that my dealer will update firmware at service then just list it on the bill which is OK if the car is standard.

Halfords do several varieties of screenwash,

The cheapy one does down to -5°C, then there's a "Berry Scented" ready mixed one which is effective to -10°C, then there's the green one which is "Citrus Scented" which is effective to -20°C.

Prices are for 5L ready mixed & ready to use solutions: £3,49 for cheapy, £4.49 for -10°C & £6,99 for the -20°C version respectively.

I use Halfords stuff too. I used to use the Apple flavoured one as I love the smell, but I believe it's being phased out with this new stock. However I did notice something strange about them: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/181226-halfords-screenwash/?p=3548420

In our other cars we use Ultimate Speed stuff from Lid  l. It freezes at -60 (neat) and states on bottle it's suitable for fan jets. I can't remember how much it was, but it comes in 5l bottles.

I thought that because Skodas have fan-jet washers, that many other types of screen-washes had a tendency to clog those nozzles, so only VAG screenwash is suitable. Is this wrong? It looks like it from the variety of screen-wash additives you are all using!

Edited by Karvy

I could not see the dilution ratio for the VW stuff so have been using 1 to 3 and am now wondering if I could use 1 to 5 water and what temp would it go down too at that dilution.

The label on the bottle folds out the a book with the mix ratios on.

I thought that because Skodas have fan-jet washers, that many other types of screen-washes had a tendency to clog those nozzles, so only VAG screenwash is suitable. Is this wrong? It looks like it from the variety of scren-wash additives you are all using!

I've never had any type of screen block up fan type jets on any car.

• Like 3

Car Club all seasons screen wash from Asda at £1.99 for 5 litres, 25% dilution for winter use.

Funnily enough warning light came on today for the first time since i bought the car, never realised there was one for the screen wash! Took about 4 litres of the diluted stuff to fill it to the brim.

Edited by jonnybgood

Take the fuse out for the headlight washers. That will massively help with consumption.

On the mkII you can adjust the delay before the headlamp washers operate and the length of time they operate for. Hopefully this will be possible on the mkIII.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scented screenwash :giggle:  you bunch of Jessies

Made me laugh too, mind you the smell of the ordinary stuff is rank.

I can't believe that someone could pay £35 for 5 litres, i think £1.99 is expensive. Thirty years ago it was just tap water and if it went below 0 degrees you were stuffed!

Made me laugh too, mind you the smell of the ordinary stuff is rank.

I can't believe that someone could pay £35 for 5 litres, i think £1.99 is expensive. Thirty years ago it was just tap water and if it went below 0 degrees you were stuffed!

Meths and water don't freeze still, smells rank though

Regards

T

Are you using one squirt or pumping the wiper arm.

Iirc it's every 5 screen washes you get the headlights wash

I got the dealers to change my headlight washers from every windscreen wash to once every 5 screen washes, I didn't get charged. It may be worth just asking if they will do it in a spare minute or two for free.

I've been using Sonax Xtreme (from Germany) it's brilliant however expensive £35 for 5lt

The best buy around is actually Halfords own double concentration (Apple) works easily at -6/-7 and smells good too, plus it lasts for ever and is only about £2 per ltr

"best buy!" Pah!!!!

Lidl £5.99 for 5l does down to -60 undiluted, made in Germany, TUV approved and fine for fan jets. I have used it now for a few winters including 3 or 4 ago when it was -15 for two weeks running.

• Like 3

Very interesting, never knew the front label peeled back and has blown my dilution rates.

One thing I am sure of is there are loads of different screen washes I could use. 

Lidl seems to be slightly ahead, although scented ones do seem appealing.

Just pulling the wiper once and the light washers go twice, my problem is I do not usually go far enough to use the wipers more than 5 times to see - I am going to have to test it out.

On the mkII you can adjust the delay before the headlamp washers operate and the length of time they operate for. Hopefully this will be possible on the mkIII.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It is.