vRS real MPG

• 2 weeks later...

had my VRS TSI  for just over a week now, so far I'm getting around 26-28 mpg... any hope this will get any better as the car settles in?

I'm now at 5k with an average of 30.2 over that. I wouldn't expect much over 30 mpg if you want to enjoy the car

• Like 3

I wouldn't expect much over 30 mpg if you want to enjoy the car

I agree. I have a diesel Blackline and average about 39 mpg on my daily commute of about 22 miles each direction, 80% of which is motorway driving. The most I've been able to get on that commute is probably about 44 mpg, whilst driving very well-behaved but still at 70 mph whilst on the motorway. I'm bored now of the diesel and am considering getting a Mk III vRS, especially after test-driving both the diesel and petrol versions recently. The TSI's performance and feel was way more impressive than the diesel, even though even the diesel Mk III is more responsive than the Blackline.

If I can get 30 mpg daily out of the TSI, I'd say that's pretty decent fuel economy for a car with nearly 50 bhp more than the Blackline.

As someone mentioned earlier, if Skoda offered the 1.8 petrol, that would be the perfect trade-off because the Audi A3 Saloon with the 1.8 is only a little less quick than the vRS TSI whilst being quicker than the vRS TDI and pretty much rated around the same as the vRS TDI for fuel economy. As parsey83 said, if you want to enjoy your vRS TSI, expecting more than 30 mpg is probably unrealistic.

• Like 1

Now running on BP Ultimate, yeah I know I said I wouldn't buy it, but I got given a voucher for money off, so it would be rude not to, plus double nectar pts.

I've been getting an average of between 33½ & 34½ mpg, which I think is very good.

• Like 2

If I can get 30 mpg daily out of the TSI, I'd say that's pretty decent fuel economy for a car with nearly 50 bhp more than the Blackline.

Mate, do it! if you're happy with 30mpg's then there is no reason not too! The TSi is so much better than the CR170 that i cant put it into words! Put it this way, my old CR would constantly see the redline in order to make progress, but in my TSi i dont think ive taken it above 4k rpm because theres so much useable power already!

Drive down from the dealers (liverpool to south of Bath) the 184 TDi was fantastic. Cruising at or around 77mph in mixed traffic it did 49mpg and bodes well for the future.

If anyone wants to feel better about their TSi, the omega MV6 (now for sale) is doing 30 on a run, 26 around the hills, and 22 with winters!! Although it's under £1k, so I guess is Ok to be a bit less frugal! 

• Like 1

I did the run down from Liverpool to home last week in my tsi and got just over 34 (measured brim to brim, though the gauge was pretty accurate). Had a little run out this evening, locally on a mix of town and country roads, with the odd squirt of the right pedal and was showing around 32.

Not terrible, considering it's not done 500 miles yet.

• Like 1

Drive down from the dealers (liverpool to south of Bath) the 184 TDi was fantastic. Cruising at or around 77mph in mixed traffic it did 49mpg and bodes well for the future.

I think mine must be knackered. It's lousy on fuel. Never managed over low 50s on a run and my long term average is a whopping 41.2. Having said that, I do spend a fair amount time chugging through the M6 J10 - J6 with artificially low variable speed limits and the police regularly closing 1, 2 or even 3 lanes of traffic for hours on end because a cat has strayed onto the carriageway or some other nonsense.

I like it, but I'm hoping to get some serious improvement as I don't drive overly fast and think it's very poor. To compare, this returns 10 mpg less than my C5 despite having official figures of well over 10 mpg more. Grrrr. :wall:

Now 6k on my tsi vrs, now getting an average of circa 35mpg over same roads/traffic etc so improving with mileage. And before anyone mentions that being the end of the honeymoon period lol I still drive her as intended.........

Music to my ears!

• Like 2

I have only seen 47.6 mpg as my best and that was a very restrained drive to Erfurt which is 204 miles away from where I live in Bielefeld, car has just clicked past 3800 miles so I'm hoping that the MPG will improve especially as I'm back to life in the Uk soon.

As a footnote the car is stating 40.4 mpg which is not great it's not like I have been driving it up and down the autobahns at max speed(well maybe once or twice):-)

Well here you are the computer was saying that I had a range of just 50 miles on a ¼ tank, so I went & filled up.

post-107454-0-31770700-1392756219_thumb.jpg

And even though it shows a tad over the ¼ tank I still managed to get... 51.66 of Shell Nitro+ into a tank that says I have a ¼ of a tank left.

post-107454-0-67948100-1392756246_thumb.jpg

Now 6k on my tsi vrs, now getting an average of circa 35mpg over same roads/traffic etc so improving with mileage. And before anyone mentions that being the end of the honeymoon period lol I still drive her as intended.........

Same for me, 6500miles and average 36 long term. I also get some 40mpg on the motorway at 70. Most recent refill is showing 37mpg but have done a few motorway/duel carriage way trips

• Like 1

Well here you are the computer was saying that I had a range of just 50 miles on a ¼ tank, so I went & filled up.

attachicon.gif20140218_105102.jpg

And even though it shows a tad over the ¼ tank I still managed to get... 51.66 of Shell Nitro+ into a tank that says I have a ¼ of a tank left.

attachicon.gif20140218_112056.jpg

That would worry me personally, that has to be a sensor error? what if you were on the motorway, with the supposed 50 mile range, and then suddenly your engine cuts out.  I'd enquire with your dealer to get it checked.

Same with me... I've just done a fill-up with 10 miles range left and I could only get 47l in. TheWanderer I'd suggest you ask the dealer to check the fuel sensor in the tank. There's no way you could do what you've shown, other than a faulty sensor.

PS: That or you're the only one lucky enough to get a 55-60l tank from the factory. :D

Edited by TudorM

attachicon.gif20140218_112056.jpg

Do you always use the same service station ? Maybe their pumps are inaccurate ....

Just did a quick rough calculation - 50 litres = roughly 11.11 gallons. @ 30 mpg that should equate to 333.3 miles a tank.

That looks to tie in with your trip counter with 316 showing and red on the fuel gauge (knowing fuel gauges aren't particulary accurate).

Back calculating that using 30mpg as a figure, you should be putting in roughly 47.4 litres.

Firstly we can't see what the range is showing, secondly that isn't a 1/4 full, it's just over an 1/8 full...

So what are you telling is there was double in the tank that was actually true?

Neily, thats not the point, someone's been F'd over, its either The Wanderer by Esso or every other O3 owner with a smaller fuel tank than his. Regards T

My point is that his facts don't add up, firstly he shows a picture of the fuel gauge on what he's says is 1/4 whenit's 1/8 and he doesn't show the range left either.....

Maybe his is a misbuild and has the fuel tank off a 4x4 octavia? But that's so unlikely it's almost impossible.....