Diesel Vrs mpg and miles to tank.

I'm struggling to get much more than 400 miles per tank here. VRS estate TDI DSG. 

I think i'm averaging mid forties per gallon. I do get more on a run. 

Recently I drove from the midlands up to Glasgow and Dundee and didn't get much more than 400 miles out of a tank (around 430 ish i think). Maybe i'm too heavy footed.

Errr.......

07d2b575687f4723c4fe1fbb5c9b2b90.jpg

Diesel VRS manual.

i think you meant to quote this one below :)

Sheldon.Cooper, on 11 Sept 2013 - 19:16, said:snapback.png

80mph in 6th in a manual is 2100rpm, in a  DSG it's 2500rpm.

Thats's about 20%

i think you meant to quote this one below :)

Sheldon.Cooper, on 11 Sept 2013 - 19:16, said:Posted Image

That is one reason I'm going to manual this time. The 6th on a Dsg feels to high and noisy. I drove a manual and it felt more relaxed at motorway speeds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That is one reason I'm going to manual this time. The 6th on a Dsg feels to high and noisy. I drove a manual and it felt more relaxed at motorway speeds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

but the dsg rpm is exactly the same as the manual?
  • Like 1

Definitely judging by my Elegance, I'd say mine has dropped around 4 - 5 mpg now compared to the summer.

Interesting, I switched from Tesco to Shell in November and have only seen my long term average drop by about 1 mpg to 54 ish so far this winter so hopefully the combination of warmer weather, sticking with Shell and heading towards 20k on the clock should see me heading for the magic 60mpg come springtime!

According to a chart (linked to on another thread) of gear ratios for the vRS MkIII the Octavia vRS 2.0TDi with DSG has a 6th gear ratio of 36.1mph/1000revs, so 80mph is just over 2200revs.  This is about 13% higher gearing than the MkII (which runs at 2500rpm at 80mph).

1900rpm at 70mph so probably the same as your manual at 80mph

My previous ( first Skoda Octavia and 1.9 PD diesel ) did 70 mph at 2000 rpm, my current Superb 140 CR  does 76 at 2000rpm but has 18" wheels.  Over the years the mph  for cars per 1000 rpm has increased drastically. A Hillman Hunter  was 18 mph per 1000 rpm, Granada 3 ltr auto, 21 mph and  Vauxhall  2 ltr got to 24 mph. All petrol but the current performances are  very relaxing. My Superb never goes above 2500 rpm and that in 1st gear. Although 3 .25 yrs old, it has only done 10650 miles, 90% of which are motorway up to 80 mph but the MPG has not got better at the 10.000 mark, which it is supposed to do, in fact seems to have  fallen. I was told by the dealers the engine management chip is programmed to up the mpg at that figure?.

• 5 months later...

Ive got a vrs diesel 60plate and havent seen an average over 42 mpg to a tank! I do tend to drive a tad quick sometimes but most of my miles are done around town. Ive done an eco run from Coventry to solihull and got 64mpg at 60mph and cov to brum at 65mph got 60mpg. Doing 70 takes my av down to bout 56mpg. Worst I had was 26mpg over 16miles, driving a bit too quick in the town. Going to my girlfriends 7miles away mainly 40roads driving sensibly will get me 46mpg,never seen more than 50mpg being ultra carefull! But I came from a 1.8 passat n id be lucky to see 33mpg being carefull so I cant complain ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

TDi vRS here, had it just under a month and have averaged 43.8mpg over 2,238 miles (using Road Trip app to keep track/calculate) - mixture of town and motorway.  I leave it in Sport all the time and I'm not overly shy about using the performance.

Best I've seen is driving from London to Telford a week ago, I was in no rush so drove the whole way at between 55 - 65mph; trip computer told me I managed 72mpg - actual probably closer to 68mpg as it does over read a bit.  Was pleased with that, meant my average for that tank was 50.71mpg.

After reading this I might have to reconsider my potential plan to change my petrol VRs to a diesel one. I'm currently getting 430 miles to a tank, my daily commute is 130 miles, mostly on the motorway & A-roads. It's a petrol DSG with 6800 miles on the clock. I'm usually doing 70-75 on the motorway, so not driving slowly. Either my engine is very good or the TDi doesn't seem too good by comparison  :(

• 2 weeks later...

An update after my trip on hols: Car with 2 adults 3 kids and luggage.

Driving down to ferry port, mostly Motorways with a little bit of A road either end :  just over 57 mpg.

Touring ROI R and N roads with a bit of M on the odd occasion ~53 mpg.

Trip back refilled in ROI (cheaper ;)) so R and N roads to port, then the same trip back as going, just over 58 mpg.

Most of the motorways coming back I had the cruise set at 72 mph, couldn't use it going due to traffic.

I have to say, trip back was 330 miles from port to home, broken up with 2 short toilet stops and a quick-ish meal stop, and the car was very comfortable for driver and passengers, I got out feeling no worse than if I had just done a local run :)

Considering I had done only 1300 miles in the first 5 months of owning the car, and have just done 1470 in one week, so she is still not loosened up at only ~2800 miles, I am more than pleased with that.

• Like 1

With my tank full to the brim down to 5 miles left, I managed;

Total Distance: 517miles

Average Speed: 43mph

mpg for total trip: 52.6mpg 

That is with mixed town, autobahn (at an average cruise cortrol of 140kph) and A & B road driving. Driving modes used were Normal and Eco only. As I was on my family hols I drove mostly like miss Daisy.

I was expecting better as my last car (a Superb 140bhp 2.0tdi) managed better and was quite a bit heavier often regularly breaking 60mpg. So far, I have not beaten 57mpg on the same runs / journeys and have to put it down to the engine still being tight as I have just broken the 3400 miles point. Economy has improved though from low 40's thankfully.

9,000 now on the clock.

Just returned from a 2,500 mile trip which involved France, Swiss Alps, German Autobhans and Italy.

Over the whole trip I averaged 58mpg. Miles per tank varied as I had to fill up at cheap stations when they appeared rather than when it was empty but saw over 600 miles a couple of times.

On the last section from Southern France to Calais I managed 62mpg and got 590 miles before filling back up before coming over to England but there was still 6 or 7 litres left in the tank (working out the tank size minus how many I had put in).

Edited by JamesVRSmk3
  • Like 1