New Golf R

alex_e3

Nissan GTR money, all these up and coming new hot hatches such as the new renault megane , leon cupra and new honda civic type r will apparently be around 25-30k. Seems alot of money for 'hot hatches'. Unless the they are being moved up to 'hyper hatches' and the new fiesta St is a 'hot hatch' (very good car too!)

Must admit - the Golf R pricing and spec has had similar feedback on the .:R forums too.

Much like the waiting game played with the R32 and R36 a few years ago;

lets see how long dealers can hold onto stock without seriously cutting prices.

As an example, approx 3 years ago i got a 2 year old R36 with 24k miles on the clock.

New.... was listed at £36k, used = £18k...... bargain 300bhp rocket   :rock:

• Like 1

Nissan GTR money, all these up and coming new hot hatches such as the new renault megane , leon cupra and new honda civic type r will apparently be around 25-30k. Seems alot of money for 'hot hatches'. Unless the they are being moved up to 'hyper hatches' and the new fiesta St is a 'hot hatch' (very good car too!)

Yes, buying a four/five year old GT-R around that kind of money is fine, but the running costs are quite interesting if you actually use it. :D

Still a lot of metal for the money and holding value well.

My first one (2010 model) was £42k when it was two years old.

Two years on from that they are almost the same price for a good one!

I figure a GT-R and Fiesta ST is a good combination.  (best value mind bender and best value hot hatch maybe?)

• Like 2

Yes, buying a four/five year old GT-R around that kind of money is fine, but the running costs are quite interesting if you actually use it. :D

Still a lot of metal for the money and holding value well.

My first one (2010 model) was £42k when it was two years old.

Two years on from that they are almost the same price for a good one!

I figure a GT-R and Fiesta ST is a good combination.  (best value mind bender and best value hot hatch maybe?)

I agree! The fiesta ST with that mountune performance pack is a very good car. Even covered under warranty too which is ace. Nissan gtr well it's in it's own league lol

• Like 1

Remember the Golf R is as cheap as Chips on a 24 month lease.

From leaseplango.co.uk

24months 10K mileage 6 payments as deposit, inc VAT and Maintenance!

3dr Manual: £251 a month inc VAT (£1500 deposit)

5dr DSG: £277 a month inc VAT (£1800 deposit)

CHEAP for a 300bhp 4WD, German Premium Hatch with lots of kit, Good image, Good Space and 0-62mph in under 5 secs in DSG form!

• Like 3

From leaseplango.co.uk

CHEAP for a 300bhp 4WD, German Premium Hatch with lots of kit, Good image, Good Space and 0-62mph in under 5 secs in DSG form!

That sounds very interesting :)

I have been thinking about downsizing & releasing the equity from my current car.

This could well be the car, & that deal is very tempting. I might pop into a VW showroom to have a look.

From leaseplango.co.uk

Certainly food for thought - thanks for sharing that detail  :thumbup:

Interested to hear how you get on 999pooch, really like the R and could be tempted out my Yeti. I wouldn't pay 35k+ for it though and I've never leased a car but for 250/month for 2 years, I might be tempted.

Trouble is you need to spec these cars. Poverty spec ones are good but some of the options to add quite a bit too it. Could you handle a pov spec Golf? I know I couldn't and hence the price always goes up for me.

Then the price escalates.

Trouble is you need to spec these cars. Poverty spec ones are good but some of the options to add quite a bit too it. Could you handle a pov spec Golf? I know I couldn't and hence the price always goes up for me.

Then the price escalates.

I wouldnt describe the 'R' as poverty spec though - not when it has xenons and led drl's, adaptive cruise control, climate, auto wipers and lights, LED interior lights, 18's, front and rear park sensors, a decent leather sports wheel and seats as standard as standard?!

• Like 1

I wouldnt describe the 'R' as poverty spec though - not when it has xenons and led drl's, adaptive cruise control, climate, auto wipers and lights, LED interior lights, 18's, front and rear park sensors, a decent leather sports wheel and seats as standard as standard?!

I'm pretty sure that leather seats are a £1600 option or you can go mad and theres a set for about £2400 I think. I'm fairly sure it comes with alacantra as standard

I'm fairly sure it comes with alacantra as standard

Yeah, it does, which happens to be my preference nowadays, very decent anyway in terms of support and comfort :) Only thing Id add is possibly the winter pack (which is cheap) and maybe the Panoramic sunroof for what its worth on the hatch. Good spec as standard though imo. :) 

It is a good spec but when I specced one up how I wanted it, it ended up costing £37.5k and that was for a 3 door manual :o The 19 inch alloys, amundsen equivalent satnav and 2 and a bit grand leather seats might explain that a bit tho since thats about 4k's worth of the options there :giggle:

I wouldnt describe the 'R' as poverty spec though - not when it has xenons and led drl's, adaptive cruise control, climate, auto wipers and lights, LED interior lights, 18's, front and rear park sensors, a decent leather sports wheel and seats as standard as standard?!

I' have to agree, the R is spec'd fairly well, & for the price I'm happy to have a 'poverty' spec.

The trouble is you get sucked into believing you need these options, which are often overpriced & very rarely used once the novelty factor fades.

Options I would have are as follows:

Metallic paint £535

Cheaper leather at £1700

Winter pack £245

Nav £1765

Camera £165 which is pretty good value compared to Audi

Door sill trim £114

Climate windscreen £295

Which equates to £4,560 extra and I would consider these normal things to spec.

I agree it has got good spec as standard though.

£4500 would probably increase payments by a fair bit over two years.

If you're going to have it for two years you may as well spec it as you want.

Well I'm just about to push the button on the new Golf R.

After enquiring about the 2 year lease deal I got a few bespoke quotes.

I'm trying to save a few pennies by selling the S4 & releasing the equity in it, as it's all bought & paid for :)

For this reason, the lower the monthly cost, the better. So I'm not adding many options, because -

a) on a lease deal they soon rack up, & I'll never actually own the car.

B) The Golf R is actually a well spec'd car already :)

So down to the nuts & bolts -

The cheapest quote I got was £1471 deposit & 23 months @ £245. 10000 miles, bog standard.

After a few play arounds I finally settled on -

£1589 deposit & 23 months @ £264.

This is for 11000 miles / year, & Lapiz blue metallic paint. 5 door manual.

The lease includes 2 years full maintenance, servicing, RFL, AA breakdown & Unlimited tyres!!

I can't believe how cheap that is for a £30k+ car.

So I've signed the papers & about to pop thrm in the post.

I,ve been told to expect delivery about the end of June, so just a few months to enjoy the S4 a bit longer :)

I

Nice one. Before you post them papers, are you sure you want to go manual? As you well know s-tronic and up change farts are awesome.

Either way it will be a cool car. Saw a new GTI today and it looked awesome. Bodes well for the R. Lapiz blue would be my choice also.

It won't be a patch of your S4 power and gearbox wise, cheeky remap on the cards? I'm considering it on my S3. 370bhp from ABT. It makes sense.

By the way, did you drive one yet?

Nice one. Before you post them papers, are you sure you want to go manual? As you well know s-tronic and up change farts are awesome.

Either way it will be a cool car. Saw a new GTI today and it looked awesome. Bodes well for the R. Lapiz blue would be my choice also.

It won't be a patch of your S4 power and gearbox wise, cheeky remap on the cards? I'm considering it on my S3. 370bhp from ABT. It makes sense.

By the way, did you drive one yet?

It's been a funny day. On the one hand I'm choosing a new car, and on the the other my Revo agent called to ask whether I would be interested in going stage 2 on the S4. Revo have just releasef it & As I was one of the first B8.5 stage 1's he said he would only charge for the pulley, the software & fitting would be free. Power increase to 460bhp @ about 425lb torque. All for £480, Dilemma or what!

I think I'm set on the R though (I think!)

I haven't actually driven one but going by the rave reviews I don't think I need to, it's a good car.

I will miss the S-Tronic, but it's a £30/month option & the idea is to save money. My initial plans were to get a small city car for about £200 / month, so at £264 a month a Golf R fully maintained isn't too shabby ;)

999pooch.. that sounds like a great deal for a great car, 100% with you on the options, you've speced it as I would have.

Mentioned this deal to the wife over the weekend, she thinks it's a good idea.. for her not me!!! Selling her over speced Golf Match for an R.

Anyway, I have 0 experience of leasing a car and no earthly idea who to go to, could you point me in the right direction?

It's been a funny day. On the one hand I'm choosing a new car, and on the the other my Revo agent called to ask whether I would be interested in going stage 2 on the S4. Revo have just releasef it & As I was one of the first B8.5 stage 1's he said he would only charge for the pulley, the software & fitting would be free. Power increase to 460bhp @ about 425lb torque. All for £480, Dilemma or what!

I think I'm set on the R though (I think!)

I haven't actually driven one but going by the rave reviews I don't think I need to, it's a good car.

I will miss the S-Tronic, but it's a £30/month option & the idea is to save money. My initial plans were to get a small city car for about £200 / month, so at £264 a month a Golf R fully maintained isn't too shabby ;)

I had a play with a stage 2 manual S4 in my RS 5 and there was nothing in it. Very potent car. His torque was awesome, if you get it wrong in the RS it would leave me but both getting it right it was very even.

I went to the Scirocco to save money like you. 3 weeks later its gone and I have the S3.

I think it's a good financial move. It's a compromise, just like my S3 is to me. You've done it right straight away by going to the R.

£30 a month though for s-tronic, go on . . .

999pooch.. that sounds like a great deal for a great car, 100% with you on the options, you've speced it as I would have.

Mentioned this deal to the wife over the weekend, she thinks it's a good idea.. for her not me!!! Selling her over speced Golf Match for an R.

Anyway, I have 0 experience of leasing a car and no earthly idea who to go to, could you point me in the right direction?

More than hqppy to share!

I spoke to Sandra @ leaseplango.co.uk

She has been very helpful in guiding me through the process.

The figures on their website are a good guide, but they are more accurate on a bespoke quote.

Fill in a request form & they will call you, or call them on 0845 408 4047. If you speak to Sandra yoy can tell her I have given you their details :)

I would pay very careful attention to your mileage & options as these can affect the actual cost in a massive way!

I asked for 3 quotes at a time with various mileages, and then once I got the right terms I asked for 3 quotes with various options at the same mileage. I found that way the easiest to cost out the actual differences.

Whatever you do on the Golf R deal, don't underestimate your mileage, the excess mileage charge is quite steep (about 35p / mile).

The Golf R deal is way, way better on the 2 year option. about £100/month better than 3 or 4 years. It's a win win as you pay less and get a new car in 2 years time :) Very rarely does it work this way round, but such are the predicted strong residuals apparantly :)

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on :)

I had a play with a stage 2 manual S4 in my RS 5 and there was nothing in it. Very potent car. His torque was awesome, if you get it wrong in the RS it would leave me but both getting it right it was very even.

I went to the Scirocco to save money like you. 3 weeks later its gone and I have the S3.

I think it's a good financial move. It's a compromise, just like my S3 is to me. You've done it right straight away by going to the R.

£30 a month though for s-tronic, go on . . .

I had a play with a E63 AMG from the lights the other day & couldn't believe I kept ahead all the way! It was the original 6.2lt car so not as quick as the new bi-turbo E63, but even so I was impressed with my S4.

One thing I meant to ask was, what is the torque like with your S3? I know in the S4 I was underwhelmed in stock form, much better mapped.

Same with the Octavia vRS, that is flat as F! but mapped it is awesome and really pulls under 2k.

Is the S3 (& Golf R) better in stock form? VAG seem to like fitting torque limiters to their sportier cars.

Coming from the RS 5 which was awful low down I find it ok. I think coming from your S4 you will find it needs more torque and power but to be honest I'm really happy with the S3. I prefer it to my old S4 and S5.

The s-tronic box really helps. The only problem is the turbo lag. Can't get used to it.

• Like 1