New Golf R

alex_e3

Today I am not eating yogurt, but driving a Leon ST 1.8 TSI Dsg, and to me it is a much nicer place to be in compared to a Mk2 Fabia vRS estate. It has proper suspension and nice steering. The Cupra ST 280 will be interesting as a comparison because this is nice, and looking forward to trying a Golf R Estate.

George have you become a silver surfer all of a sudden!?

Washed the R this afternoon, great day in Wiltshire and the car looks better every time it's cleaned.

Probably reduced the 0-60 by 0.5 sec. today!

Must be a Silver Surfer thing George - going your way rapidly mate !

• Like 1

Yeah I remember, totally see where you are coming from on that. The Leon is good value indeed with max discount applied. The one SWMBO saw in the shroom was a white manual car with 3 or 4 options ticked but priced at an eye-watering £29990. Madness. I'd imagine they will be very lucky to get some clueless punter/mug to pay that for it...

Mine was optioned up a bit, incl DSG at £22k OTR, though that had 4k mile so not brand new. 

£30k is too much for a new one IMO, as good as it is. Interesting review of the Sub8 version in this month's CAR mag. Now that I have got "proper" tyres fitted, traction isn't a problem, and bear in mind mine has got close on +100lb/ft over standard.

What about the new Hyundai Kia? Looks nicer than most of the stuff coming out of Tochigi, Munich and Stuttgart.

kiasportspace3.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&s

• Like 2

Good review from CAR. The Q car looks is one of the most important for me, commuting regularly across mid wales and the borders in a similarly powered BMW or Audi would, I'm sure, result in a lot more other driver aggression and hassle. The beauty of the Leon is it looks like pretty much every other Leon on the road, so you go quietly(ish) about your business of passing everything on the road in order to make good progress without being flashed or gesticulated at. The only flipside, is being a fast SEAT you might feel obliged to wear a baseball cap on backwards....still you could get matching ones for the wife and kids :)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/seat/seat-leon-st-cupra-280-2015-review/

• Like 2

Good review from CAR. The Q car looks is one of the most important for me, commuting regularly across mid wales and the borders in a similarly powered BMW or Audi would, I'm sure, result in a lot more other driver aggression and hassle. The beauty of the Leon is it looks like pretty much every other Leon on the road, so you go quietly(ish) about your business of passing everything on the road in order to make good progress without being flashed or gesticulated at. The only flipside, is being a fast SEAT you might feel obliged to wear a baseball cap on backwards....still you could get matching ones for the wife and kids :)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/seat/seat-leon-st-cupra-280-2015-review/

Boom Boom Boom and heads swaying side to side! Innit Bro

• Like 2

Flippin Speed Cameras fixed and Mobile & Average Speed all over the place in Central Scotland and Trunk Road Routes, 

and every trip now means driving with the very greatest of care as cars are up your jacksy all the time, and passing at any opportunity

as if speed limits do not exist.

Even giving it beans on the very odd occasion can have me expecting a NIP through the letter box.

The fear of just being flashed in 30-40 Limit areas or in Road Work Contraflows as a HGV is sitting on your bumper means each journey 

is a PITA.

I have done 1,000 of my most stressful miles ever in the past week.

On the likes of the A9 a prosecution is not only costing £100 and 3 Points anymore.

The way they are installing Speed Reduction Measures & catching many & putting cases through the courts i expect lots of drivers will 

be changing their ways in the very near future.

• Like 1

One trouble of having 4 pipes is they are easy to spot if they aren't horizontal. The first picture shows that the pipes aren't level and the slight OCD idiot in me would want it put right :D

• Like 2

One trouble of having 4 pipes is they are easy to spot if they aren't horizontal. The first picture shows that the pipes aren't level and the slight OCD idiot in me would want it put right :D

It's parallax error, when viewed from very far behind, in the distorted screen of a BMW M135i

• Like 3

Actually when I think back, I have always had a problem with exhaust being level :D I remember the Astra 16V 2.0 when it first came out and it had 2 square-ish exhaust pipes. I don't think I ever saw one that had horizontal pipes ....ever!   I need help or stronger medication

• Like 1

Perhaps it is worth pointing out the Clio RS which is not a silly price and does have geniune race pedigree with the Clio cup rather than these spec'd up versions of family cars without racing pedigree.  At least the Audi A4 etc have DTM pedigree I am struggling to think of the Golf platform in any racing series, is any one running one in BTCC?  

Not heard of the VW racing cup then???..............ben run for many years in various countries, golf, beetles, siroccos etc , there are of course many other race series..........

in which VW golfs are used....just that VW really go for the Rally side of stuff with the Polo, & Audi let ABT do their DTM race cars....................

Would have been interesting to see the trade-in values for sure. I will get an idea when I get around to having a testdrive I suspect.

I'd like an R estate but I just know in my heart SWMBO will reckon it's too big. And if I buy one and she hates it..... Could be an expensive error.

It's shorter than an MK3 Octavia by 100mm & cheaper to insure for the same spec like for like...............ok it is about 2ft longer than a MK1 Fabia which I have come from but I went for the reversing camera, which is great, thing is I keep allowing loads more room, but the car ends where you see the end from the drivers view point, so not as big as you think! Also only 0.5m bigger turning circle than MK1 Fabia, & 150mm wider O/A

Flippin Speed Cameras fixed and Mobile & Average Speed all over the place in Central Scotland and Trunk Road Routes, 

and every trip now means driving with the very greatest of care as cars are up your jacksy all the time, and passing at any opportunity

as if speed limits do not exist.

On the likes of the A9 a prosecution is not only costing £100 and 3 Points anymore.

The way they are installing Speed Reduction Measures & catching many & putting cases through the courts i expect lots of drivers will 

be changing their ways in the very near future.

I used to go the back roads to Aviemore for ski-ing, but those are now so potholed & the big logging lorries are using them more now so that's a no-go road! Thank god for the Radar cruise control that's all I can say!!!

It's parallax error, when viewed from very far behind, in the distorted screen of a BMW M135i

ha hah, ha hah............... :giggle:

• Like 1

EDIT.

Sorry my bad,

i did not see this was the Golf R thread and not the Clio RS 200T one when replying to lol-lol from 2 posts above.

Have you been for a long test drive yet in the current model?

I am looking forward to trying the new model.

I like them to a degree, and have driven several in the past year.

I like the Build Quality, the space, & how it drives in some situations, but not in others.

Much Cheapness will be available while the current model is available, and maybe more so with the launch of the latest version.

(I have been looking at the Seat Leon FR 1.8TSI 180ps with DSG in Hatch & Estate forms,

and Much Cheapness is also available there.)

As to the UK Clio Cup Race Series RS200T Cars, there are some good vids available from Renault on how those cars are prepared,

and they are rather different from the Road Version, but not too far away from them.

Two good videos.  More I read about the Clio RS the more it sounds like a good replacement for the Fabia VRS and a good option to VAG's various hot version of their popular mainstay cars and one with proper race pedigree and at not a silly price ie £30K plus for an ordinary shaped car.

If wish one can dip in the hundreds of track tuning bits to turn it in to a distinctive beast rather than a "straight from the showroom" "same as everybody else" model.

Not heard of the VW racing cup then???..............ben run for many years in various countries, golf, beetles, siroccos etc , there are of course many other race series..........

in which VW golfs are used....just that VW really go for the Rally side of stuff with the Polo, & Audi let ABT do their DTM race cars....................

I had not because I suppose it is not a support race for a main event like the BTCC.  Looks a bit odd with the stange mix of VW Golf based chasis and is that a Caddy I saw in one picture in the pack? 

The Rally success really comes from Skoda rather the VW as all the development was done on the Fabia and then VAG realised there would be more press advantage putting the Polo in the rally rather than Skoda which has now left Skoda with very little racing pedegree compared to what it did have in the IRC as was.

It would be good to see a Golf R, RS3 (coming soon) track series and has anybody got the Golf 7 R round the Ring in less the 8 minutes?

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_golf_r_mk7.html

I see there is some criticism that the Haldex used is not the best from the parts bin and maybe that is a circuit time issue or suspension or something else?

As to Skoda & VW Rallying the Mk2 Fabia & Mk5 Polo Bodyshapes and Motorsport Heritage

& the  recent years Rallying Successes.

The Skoda Fabia S2000 & Polo WRC-R are AWD Cars using a body shape of cars from 2009-10 to 2014.

The cars they are selling to the public other than the very limited number they need to produce are nothing like the 

'Winning Cars'. 2 Litre AWD

The Fabia MK2 s2000 Celebration being a 1.4TSI with 180ps.

The Monte Carlo name put on FWD cars with power from 60-105 ps Diesel & Petrols & with Drum Brakes on the rear.

The Skoda Fabia 2015 R5 being a 1.6T AWD car, 

and the 3rd Generation All New Fabia 2015 available to the Public with a max of 105ps 3 cylinder Diesel or 110ps Petrol.

Again the Monte Carlo name being used, which really is a joke.

Skoda might be successful in some forms of Motorsport,

but as to putting that into their road cars.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

(put some stickers, plastic trim, some sporty seats & alloys & 20mm drop springs,  very very sporty.)

No 2015 Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI 3 Cylinder or 1.2 TSI Monte Carlo will actually be anything like this.

But then neither would a MK3 vRS,.

I really am not sure the point of raising the Sporting Image then selling only Shopping Car versions of the Brand.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I see lots of BMWs like that.

Up your jacksy wanting to be where your car is,  then you let them passed and then they are like some blocker from Dukes of Hazard 

or Smokey & the Bandit.

OT.

?

Does anyone know what the cars were going very pretty fast in the Girvan area on Monday,  A77 just after the Average Speed Camera.

Looked like a Black Furry Audi, and some BMW's and others.  

There were stickers or signs which i could not get a good look at, 

i wondered if it was a Cannonball Type Run, or a rather fast Charity Hoot.

Edited by goneoffSKi