New Golf R

alex_e3

let me know where your mate posts on the internet please. Be interesting to read his comments on his disappointment with the M135.

I don't think so..........don't want to inflict an argument on him from you ...I know you want to have fun............ :p

Saw another Golf R yesterday looks so discrete in the lighter blue you wouldn't realise the power and capabilities, trying to get it back on topic...

It must be the most discreet hot hatch out there. Nearest thing to a Q car apart from the exhausts. If they just had a couple of pipes showing the car would pass completely unnoticed most of the time. I've order my BMW with the badges removed so it will look mostly like a regular 1.6D M Sport version. I'm a big believer if the car can walk the walk, so to speak, it doesn't need to brag about it :)

• Like 2

Saw another Golf R yesterday looks so discrete in the lighter blue you wouldn't realise the power and capabilities, trying to get it back on topic...

this blue?

http://www.pulmanusedcars.co.uk/used_volkswagen_golf-estate_20-tdi-gt-150ps-dsg-estate-_30760.htm

Pacific blue metallic.

Almost went for it but in certain light it fades too pale & looks washed out. 

• Like 1

This video was done last year when VW were testing the R estate at the ring............................

oh yeah baby!...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kto79-3G_es

Sent this clip & the previous to my mate with the M135i.............LOL...........

this blue?

http://www.pulmanusedcars.co.uk/used_volkswagen_golf-estate_20-tdi-gt-150ps-dsg-estate-_30760.htm

Pacific blue metallic.

Almost went for it but in certain light it fades too pale & looks washed out.

Yes exactly that colour so it's very unsuspecting, I only picked up on it by seeing the twin pipes when following as it appears VW seem to be shoving the R badge on everything as a trim spec.

Think the S3 is even more discrete. Saw a silver 5dr Sportback version the other day. If it didn't have the badges I don't think I'd have noticed.

So the more normal general public have got no chance ;)

• Like 1

Think the S3 is even more discrete. Saw a silver 5dr Sportback version the other day. If it didn't have the badges I don't think I'd have noticed.

So the more normal general public have got no chance ;)

Yes but doesn't it too have the quad pipes? I looked at the A45 models at Merc and they make a point to tell you about the signature AMG quad pipes, yet they are easy to spot quad tips on a twin exhausted. Looks a bit naff from certain angles. I do like the body shape of the A3 saloon though. best looking of the bunch imho, just find the (very well built) interior to be dull.

For some reason all the reviews I have read and there are dozens, the Audis never get as good a write up as the Golf R. The M135 usually beats the Audis in a head to head, but it ties with the Golf R overall I would say, at least in the several articles and videos I've come across. I like the styling that Skoda seem to be using in their latest cars, so it would be good to see a Skud version of the Golf R with the sharper creases they seem to be using (new Superb looks great)

• Like 1

Yes but doesn't it too have the quad pipes? 

Yep, all the Audi 'S' models do now - looks even more daft on the S1!

Reviews on the S3 tend to suggest that it's not as engaging as the R, despite sharing a lot of the same components. Evo seemed to be laying blame at Audi's notoriously intermittent success with steering setups. Not as 'feelsome' as the R....

• Like 2

Yep, all the Audi 'S' models do now - looks even more daft on the S1!

Reviews on the S3 tend to suggest that it's not as engaging as the R, despite sharing a lot of the same components. Evo seemed to be laying blame at Audi's notoriously intermittent success with steering setups. Not as 'feelsome' as the R....

My A4 Quattro always felt dull in the steering department, even though I had specced the ridiculously complicated Sports Diff (which was on the rear but supposed to transform the handling and associated stuff)

Edited by Lady Elanore

but for the OP's sake can we please stay on topic.

To be fair I'm not sure the OP has been involved at all recently. He was there at the moment of thread conception and for the first few weeks but then disappeared.

All credit to Keith for taking on someone else's thread and doing a fantastic job of raising it as his own. But the biological Father is some bloke called Alex....

We all need to do our bit and keep the thread on the straight and narrow. Nobody wants to see it go off the rails again and end up behind bars (locked). ;-)

Sorry for the "off topic", but I just couldn't resist haha!

• Like 1

Yes exactly that colour so it's very unsuspecting, I only picked up on it by seeing the twin pipes when following as it appears VW seem to be shoving the R badge on everything as a trim spec.

It's called R-Line....................basically line Audi S-Line.......................

Stupid thing is VWUK have only just said you can get the Golf hatch with this option...................been available for the hatch & estate in Germany for ages! If I wanted to I could fit the R-lint quad exhaust to my car as all the hangers & body spaces are there....all I have to do is remove the aero cover over the drivers side , for the back box, & fit the twin cut out lower black valance..........................easy!

Would I do it?.......................no, looks stupid............even on the R I think it looks a bit OTT

Back OT, it's nice to see that Superpro have released their alu front wishbones fitted with duro-ball rear bushes! Yay!!....For those who don't know the MK7 Golf has the same front  wishbone set-up as the old MK4! Basically the rear "console" bush is actually at 90deg to the plane of movement with a vertical bolt through it! Where as the MK5 & MK6 & MK1 Fabia etc, have a rod sticking out of the wishbone which goes into a bush inline with the plane of movement! I think they did this because under heavy braking etc the wishbone has the vertical bolt to push against to stop it going backwards.............less strain on the front pivot part anyway!

To be fair I'm not sure the OP has been involved at all recently. He was there at the moment of thread conception and for the first few weeks but then disappeared.

All credit to Keith for taking on someone else's thread and doing a fantastic job of raising it as his own. But the biological Father is some bloke called Alex....

We all need to do our bit and keep the thread on the straight and narrow. Nobody wants to see it go off the rails again and end up behind bars (locked). ;-)

Sorry for the "off topic", but I just couldn't resist haha!

I'm still lurking! ;)

Like an incapable father watching at a distance how his little child has grown up with someone else's nurturing :D

• Like 3

I'm still lurking! ;)

Like an incapable father watching at a distance how his little child has grown up with someone else's nurturing :D

Light blue touchpaper and stand well back.....it's on the instructions :)

how do you find your exhausts on the R mate? keeping clean is a nightmare on S

im wondering if the S will get facelift earlier because audi are changing the group look

No more hassle than my old Fabia vRS MK1's. Few extras minutes cleaning, that's all, too many other benefits to overcome little niggles .

I can live with it and I don't have a problem with the look.

They Probably get up peoples noses, because it's the on view they will experience.