New Golf R

alex_e3

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/comparison-what-s-best-car-wet

Reassurance is a warm feeling and sooths the grey cells!

Brown trouser are now in the back of the wardrobe.

Don't tell the M135 owners................. :D .................... :devil:

BTW...........as I have now clocked just over the 1200miles I decided that when I was driving up the road from Loch Morlich to the Cairngorm ski area I put the car into "sport" .................hells bells the throttle now responds as I would fully expect...............I yes it only a 1.4lt with a turbo, but this thing flew up that road way faster than my old Fabia which had the old non-turbo version & weighed a lot less!....................those flat torque curves make all the difference!...............do I love this car???................ :wub:

Back OT.........I would not underestimate the "R" estate as the extra 80kg over the rear will keep it glued down even more through the corners.....................well mine does!.........& it don't "swing" out either!!!........perfect neutral handling!!

• Like 1

The BMW owners already know and they still bought their Cars ;)

Hope that you won't have to keep changing your clothing, more than you do now.

If you are living up North, near the boarders, I guess you will be having much tail end fun, unless of course the m135i is substituted by the   4X4 regularly.

Edited by vrskeith

I have a trusty Suzy Gr Vitara for proper snow and mud (and the occasional jaunt along a beech for a photo shoot :) )

So it's check the weather forecast each day, to make the choice or is it just a finger in the air method and hope for the best!

Or driving skills ,allow no worries!

Do you have a surfboard strapped to the roof of the Suzy, just in case?

I work on the principle that in the winter I take the car with the winter tyres on. Except for those rare days off when the sun shines and I have nothing better to do than go and monkey about in my RWD car

• Like 1

I should add I only take a car on the beach at Ainsdale to photograph the Kite Surfers. They operate about a mile from the entrance to the beach and the car affords me somewhere to swap lenses without filling the camera with sand. Some brave souls take 3 series on to the beach! It's best not to slow down too much until you park on the firm sand though :D

• Like 1

I should add I only take a car on the beach at Ainsdale to photograph the Kite Surfers. They operate about a mile from the entrance to the beach and the car affords me somewhere to swap lenses without filling the camera with sand. Some brave souls take 3 series on to the beach! It's best not to slow down too much until you park on the firm sand though :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZFj5puzF4

No translation necessary imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8h97Abx5yg

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Reminiscence is fine but live for today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mudm3shJE

Plan for tomorrow but will it come?

Could this be coming to a house near me soon!

R400KVW.£250 BARGAIN! Only wish the car was as cheap!

Edited by vrskeith

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/8366-broken-down-4-hours-wait-and-just-got-home/

Another thread, possibly the one that stever750 picked up on relating to Turbo issue.

No notification to owners by VW relating to an improvement or checks necessary. http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/6366-official-mk7-golf-r-turbo-issues-thread/

Edited by vrskeith

Just wish the 400 wasn't going to be a 4 cylinder

So do BMW, Ford, Honda,Audi etc.

Edited by vrskeith

Just wish the 400 wasn't going to be a 4 cylinder

Apparently it's going to be amazing.

Even though we don't really know everything about it yet.

I still want to see how they are going to get lag free 400PS from a two litre and stay within warranty and design tolerances so there is headroom for mapping.

Golf fans seem to be chomping at the bit for it, because it's going to end up in a Golf that should outperform it's Audi competitor.

Assuming you ignore the extra 25% capacity the RS3 has, the additional torque, tunability and the noise.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's really like.

Not that I'd buy one, but it will be an interesting car.

Especially if the ESP can be fully switched off and all the rumors off it being the second coming are true.

• Like 1

The output figure will be special as you say to keep it drivable, just not sure it will have much character, 2.0 are on the dull side noise wise

Will be interesting no doubt at all

The output figure will be special as you say to keep it drivable, just not sure it will have much character, 2.0 are on the dull side noise wise

Will be interesting no doubt at all

4 cylinder engines used to sound more interesting in the days before turbo charging. My old Abarth 130TC sounded great, but it was because of nice big carburettors sucking through K&N filters :) It added to the drama and the engine had real character, not always good, where there were lumpy spots and sweet spots to it's range. All in all, it felt more alive than a modern engine. Could I live with one today, perhaps not for the mileage and motorway hauls I do, but I certainly miss them. The only modern 4 cylinder engine that I really liked, was in my early Imprezas I admired the diesel in my 123D (seamless twin turbo diesel and the first production one to hit 100bhp per litre) but it's hard to love a diesel in the same way as a petrol

• Like 2