New Golf R

alex_e3

Also comparing on list prices when it comes to Ford is understandable, but ultimately not anything like what people really pay as Fords are typically keener to do a deal.

And Ford give a choice of spec levels.

I just priced up the top of the range ST-3 navigaton model and after discount it was around £7,000 cheaper than a Golf R estate.

Noticably cheaper car to start with, but over £1,000 extra discount.

A Focus ST Estate in top spec ST-3 Navigation trim for a bit over £22,000 seems like a bargain to me and doesn't make the lower spec Golf R look good value at a bit over £29,000.

That's 32% more expensive!

Yes, the Golf is better as a car, if you want the extra poke and 4x4.  But 32%...

Don't agree, it looks perfectly fine to me.

Take off your VAG tinted spectacles. :D

attachicon.gifFocus ST.png

A choice, but there isn't a bad one, including the SEAT and the Golf in terms for styling for an estate car.

attachicon.gif1024.png

Ford have clearly done a better job in the quality of the images on the configure parts of the sites though.

The Focus looks OK, but which is the better estate car, Golf, Focus or Octavia?.

(Carrying capacity, performance, road manners, ability to carry passengers without scaring them to death....)

• Like 1

If they have already orderd and are reading this to tell you the spec it's too late. ;)

But what discount did they negotiate on the R??

Unknown at present. Hence my original opener on the topic. 

The Focus looks OK, but which is the better estate car, Golf, Focus or Octavia?.

(Carrying capacity, performance, road manners, ability to carry passengers without scaring them to death....)

Octavia.

But we can't be discussing that vehicle on a Skoda forum. :rofl:

• Like 2

Octavia beats the Golf on total space because it is 4inch longer with 2inch being in the wheelbase.........but the Golf R beats all for shear grip in all weathers

So who has ordered of in negotiations on an R Estate.

Any packages offered, available or movement on base prices?

Watch this space BossFox!

Edited by vrskeith

Also comparing on list prices when it comes to Ford is understandable, but ultimately not anything like what people really pay as Fords are typically keener to do a deal.

And Ford give a choice of spec levels.

I just priced up the top of the range ST-3 navigaton model and after discount it was around £7,000 cheaper than a Golf R estate.

Noticably cheaper car to start with, but over £1,000 extra discount.

A Focus ST Estate in top spec ST-3 Navigation trim for a bit over £22,000 seems like a bargain to me and doesn't make the lower spec Golf R look good value at a bit over £29,000.

That's 32% more expensive!

Yes, the Golf is better as a car, if you want the extra poke and 4x4.  But 32%...

What are residuals like on the Focus ST vs Golf R? Might narrow the gap on the vfm front if Golf retains more value.

• Like 1

What are residuals like on the Focus ST vs Golf R? Might narrow the gap on the vfm front if Golf retains more value.

I've not looked into it that closely as it's banter on yet another Golf R thread.

• Like 1

Generally info from mags etc is that the Ford ST hatch will struggle to maintain above 40% of purchase price after 3yrs.......where as the Golf R hatch will hold over 50% after 3yrs....................so expect similar for estate.

In the long term 5yrs etc the Golf  really wins as per usual for residuals...............

• Like 1

If you are looking at residuals look at the real world figures, not ones given by the Financial Director/Manager in a VW or Audi 

dealership as you sit down to have a PCP , Lease or Finance / HP Agreement signed.

Manufacturer / Dealer Contribution, Mileage Limit etc etc, value after 3 years.

& this is where, Glass, Parkers etc take figures from.

Look at what a Car costs to buy. (forget Trade In, Amount to Change etc.)

So how much can you go buy one for right then, on the Forecourt / Showroom Built, or Factory Order,

Then if you go back in 3 years with the car you bought, what does the Dealer Offer to Buy it for,

The difference is how much it lost in 3 years.

What the Dealer then would sell it for, or the Asking Price has nothing to do with Residuals,

They try to make money twice, Selling, then selling again.

As with the likes of a 2014 Audi S1, who knows the real Residuals, because Audi First Registered as Management Cars, Press Cars 

& Demonstrators, and no doubt sold some, 

and now there are half sitting Advertised for sale & Audi Dealers are not dropping the Asking Prices.

ie 

Protecting the Residuals, do not let anyone think they are not selling, and value on the New Price is dropping like a Stone.

• Like 1

Generally info from mags etc is that the Ford ST hatch will struggle to maintain above 40% of purchase price after 3yrs.......where as the Golf R hatch will hold over 50% after 3yrs....................so expect similar for estate.

In the long term 5yrs etc the Golf  really wins as per usual for residuals...............

If you work that on the DtD prices...

£22k Focus ST-3 Nav estate loses 60% of £27k.  So will be worth £10,800.  Depreciation of £11,200 over three years.

£29k Golf R Estate loses 50% of £33k.  So will be worth £16,500.  Depreciation of £12,500.

As usual, even cars that hold onto more money are worse investments if they start out more expensive.

Mainly because the industry is obsessed with percentages rather than real world loses.

• Like 2

If you work that onthe DtD prices...

£22k Focus ST-3 Nav estate loses 60% of £27k.  So will be worth £10,800.  Depreciation of £11,200 over three years.

£29k Golf R Estate loses 50% of £33k.  So will be worth £16,500.  Depreciation of £12,500.

As usual, even cars that hold onto more money are worse investments if they start out more expensive.

Mainly because hte industry is obsessed with percentages rather than real world loses.

That's exactly how I do my man maths!

For my money, current bargains are the Leon ST 1.4/1.8FR (1.8 being very nice with a remap...) as well as the Cupra and the Focus ST Richard mentiones above. That's a lot of car for the money and no less reliable than the equivalent VW imo. 

Oh, and did we really need another Golf R thread on here? Not sure why the estate cant be covered in the original 'R' thread? (Guessing there aren't different threads already for the 3 dr and 4door body formats)?

You can never have too many 'R' related threads, it would seem!

But to answer the original question, no I haven't ordered one so can't provide my spec. Although I may be tempted when I'm considering a change in 2yrs time.

In which colour?

One for each?................. :D

OT..I also noticed that the new R estate is not available in the colour I got my car in. Metallic Tungsten silver....... :S .....as this is a very good colour for the estate & is discrete. However you can have it in the R only colour of Lapis Blue which I find is nice but a bit SHOUTY........................ B)

EDIT

I suppose I could always find a crashed Golf R hatch in manual & just swap over the engine, driveshaft, brakes etc, as it will be a straight fit over (MQB platform designed that way)...& VCDS........I could then leave it with the OEM GT bumpers etc & I would not have to have those stupid 4 tailpipes also..........sleeper look.......mind you insurance might cost......"have you modified your car in any way sir?"........... :D

Edited by fabdavrav

Octavia beats the Golf on total space because it is 4inch longer with 2inch being in the wheelbase.........but the Golf R beats all for shear grip in all weathers

If you are looking at residuals look at the real world figures, not ones given by the Financial Director/Manager in a VW or Audi 

dealership as you sit down to have a PCP , Lease or Finance / HP Agreement signed.

Manufacturer / Dealer Contribution, Mileage Limit etc etc, value after 3 years.

& this is where, Glass, Parkers etc take figures from.

Look at what a Car costs to buy. (forget Trade In, Amount to Change etc.)

So how much can you go buy one for right then, on the Forecourt / Showroom Built, or Factory Order,

Then if you go back in 3 years with the car you bought, what does the Dealer Offer to Buy it for,

The difference is how much it lost in 3 years.

What the Dealer then would sell it for, or the Asking Price has nothing to do with Residuals,

They try to make money twice, Selling, then selling again.

As with the likes of a 2014 Audi S1, who knows the real Residuals, because Audi First Registered as Management Cars, Press Cars 

& Demonstrators, and no doubt sold some, 

and now there are half sitting Advertised for sale & Audi Dealers are not dropping the Asking Prices.

ie 

Protecting the Residuals, do not let anyone think they are not selling, and value on the New Price is dropping like a Stone.

All the manufacturers do this, we know more about Ford 'cos of past employment history, but there has to be a reason why so many management

people are "given" new cars every 3-4 months, which then turn-up on Ford Direct at silly prices.

If I wanted an almost new Focus ST, that's where I'd start the search... 

It's why & bought a 9 month old, 5k miles Superb, (sorry to mention this in a Skoda forum....) for app £8/9k under list, + my last 2 Mondy Wagons were ex Ford too.

DC

PS. A Golf R wagon would be nice, but I'm going to wait until the new Superb Wagon is available before choosing, I'm sure that it will be slower than the Golf, but there might be room for "stuff" in the back!.  

Not forgetting the forthcoming Golf R400 thread.......................

R400 topic exists for your info.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/338296-golf-r400-in-anticipation-build-up-thread/

Sorry for those that don't like the R topic.

Learn to live with it, like I'm doing - Great Drive and with more space just awesome.

Edited by vrskeith

The Focus estate isn't great for capacity, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet nor will anyone let me stuff a mountain bike in to see what the space is like but on paper the Focus' capacity is 476/1502 litres (seats up/seats down), 605/1620 litres for the Golf and 610/1740 litres for the Octavia.  I'm surprised how close the Octavia and Golf are, I'm sure the difference was much larger for the previous generation.

Is the fastest Leon ST the 1.8 petrol?  I fancy something a bit more entertaining and been looking at a Focus ST as they are reasonable value for money but concerned at the capacity as the Mazda6 feels smaller than the Octavia, a local garage have a 10 plate Audi S4 which is tempting for something a bit more sporty but at £20K it's not cheap and at the point where it might need some pricier repairs.  The Golf R estate is pretty impressive in comparison to the Audi, both four wheel drive 300bhp estates but the Golf's running costs are a lot lower.

John

As a gentle reminder...again..if you don't want to discuss the Golf R in whatever guise, simply don't post. If no one posts then the topic will simply drop down the pages into oblivion. If however you want to contribute to the Golf R discussion please keep it on-topic. I've merged the threads as there only needs to be one.

This is a final reminder to everyone.

• Like 1

As a gentle reminder...again..if you don't want to discuss the Golf R in whatever guise, simply don't post. If no one posts then the topic will simply drop down the pages into oblivion. If however you want to contribute to the Golf R discussion please keep it on-topic. I've merged the threads as there only needs to be one.

Sorry but not happy.

it was about the Estate specific.

Edited by Damo
Criticising moderating decisions in public is against forum rules

Very happy with your action. :D

This thread will never die, never I tell you!

Every new snipped of info on any motoring website is a new post/link away. :)

I see no point in two threads, one for hatch and one for estate.

Very happy with your action. :D

This thread will never die, never I tell you!

Every new snipped of info on any motoring website is a new post/link away. :)

I see no point in two threads, one for hatch and one for estate.

We will agree to disagree the Boss.

Edited by Damo
Needless insults removed

You don't "own" the thread, I think that's where you might be going wrong.

You choose to post on Briskoda. That comes with agreeing to certain terms, including moderation of anything posted.

• Like 1